Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Coronavirus

Chicago Storm

11 hours ago, Hoosier said:

Interesting read.  It does say there is no evidence of the mutation resulting in more serious disease.

Well typically mutations result in a weaker virus. This is exactly what happened with the Spanish Flu, it just mutated out. I believe it was a form of bird flu that just ran rampant through the world, and then it almost shut off like the faucet in your sink and died out. I remember in college reading about this in a history class and was blown away at how it just quit. It's eerie how similar we're reacting to this 100 years later, thankfully though this is a much more mild virus than that one. 

The 1918 flu caused a massive spike in your immune system which was bad for older people, but really bad for teenagers and young adults because their body would fight it too hard, and wear the organs out leading to their death. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, RyanDe680 said:

Florida stealing the show in new cases, while IL number of deaths is the highest in the country today.

Daily case numbers have trended down in Illinois, so I would expect the death numbers to improve in the coming weeks.

For what it's worth, the Spanish flu actually mutated to become much more deadly than what it was at the beginning of the pandemic. It did go on to become less deadly after that though, in some part due to the more severe strains killing people faster than it could spread.

With the new coronavirus, there really isn't a driving force to cause the virus to become weaker in time. Incubation period is about 5 days, and for those who die, average time from symptoms to death is about 18 days. This means that people that have contracted a fatal case can still spend more than a week going about their daily activities, spreading the virus. With the Spanish flu, some people were dying the same day they showed their first symptoms, and this type of presentation limited spread. The coronavirus is a slow bake without a mechanism like this to favor weaker strains.

I don't expect this virus to start killing young people in numbers like the Spanish flu. I am concerned, however, about the potential long term effects of the virus (lung/heart/nerve damage) or even autoimmune issues. I'm fairly young, but I'm avoiding this virus like the plague.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Hoosier said:

Daily case numbers have trended down in Illinois, so I would expect the death numbers to improve in the coming weeks.

agreed - it seems as if the numbers have trended downward overall though across the country while cases have remained flat or staring to increase.  next few weeks should be telling.

Fatman did some good things and some bad things during this stretch in IL...but the requirement of masks and slow re-opening seems to be working for now. Shall see how numbers look come August, after restrictions really relax heading into early July.

ebddb54dd5863f36250baa8612f79a0d.jpg&key=faf032b8ed219787ef465aa0b517229298f4dc4bea5979d87198c34138bb0e32

1 hour ago, Hoosier said:

Over 30k new cases reported in the US today... the highest number in about 6-7 weeks.

Some of it is due to increased testing, but there is a real ongoing increase in transmission in a number of places especially in southern states.

So many out of state plates here. Seems like everyone is taking their vacations down here and that combined with the locals not being very precautious from the start has led to a wildfire of spread. Heck it seems like the whole state of Tennessee and New Jersey is here currently, many rentals are all booked up

15 minutes ago, Chicago Storm said:

Fatman did some good things and some bad things during this stretch in IL...but the requirement of masks and slow re-opening seems to be working for now. Shall see how numbers look come August, after restrictions really relax heading into early July.

ebddb54dd5863f36250baa8612f79a0d.jpg&key=faf032b8ed219787ef465aa0b517229298f4dc4bea5979d87198c34138bb0e32

Not a big supporter of JB I take it?  

I kind of wish we had some kind of mask requirement here, but we don't.  Just strongly recommended, although some individual stores/businesses are making everyone wear a mask.  Even without the requirement in many places, I am still seeing like 80 or 90% wearing them indoors.  I wonder what mask compliance is like in other parts of IN.  My guess is it's less.

46 minutes ago, Chicago Storm said:

Whitmer got a lot of shit as well but our curve looks very similar and we have done a spectacular job here keeping up with the mask wearing and social distancing.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Hoosier said:

Over 30k new cases reported in the US today... the highest number in about 6-7 weeks.

Some of it is due to increased testing, but there is a real ongoing increase in transmission in a number of places especially in southern states.

Nailed it.

July 4th and the 1-2 weeks after should be interesting given tomorrow’s Tulsa experiment. 

11 hours ago, Chicago Storm said:

No visits to your local DMV for now

But a ton of people in IL don’t wear masks...it’s not required, just suggested. There hasn’t been a business yet that turned me away.

Make everyone put on masks or lose your business. Pretty easy choice for businesses

Pritz has nothing to do with it.

Indiana reported just over 10k test results today.  I think that is the highest number of tests in a day, or at least one of the highest. 

Pretty good percentage on positive tests lately as well... not as good as some of the states in the northeast but consistently in the mid single digits or so.  I read that the state is testing every nursing home employee this month (in part to get a better idea on asymptomatic carriers especially in higher risk jobs like that) so there are actually asymptomatic people being tested in addition to people who have symptoms.

• Like 1

Wisconsin's % positive rate has been holding between 2-4% for some time now. I don't know how we've gotten lucky so far, what with the April primary fiasco and then the doors being thrown open by the Supreme Court in mid-May. Our mask-wearing compliance seems to be no better or worse (in other words, not great) than other parts of the region.

Thankfully my workplace has now mandated masks, although not everyone fully complies at all times (I see some people where theirs spends half the day down around their chin) at least they are when we have to be in close proximity for extended periods of time.

Wisconsin's % positive rate has been holding between 2-4% for some time now. I don't know how we've gotten lucky so far, what with the April primary fiasco and then the doors being thrown open by the Supreme Court in mid-May. Our mask-wearing compliance seems to be no better or worse (in other words, not great) than other parts of the region.
Thankfully my workplace has now mandated masks, although not everyone fully complies at all times (I see some people where theirs spends half the day down around their chin) at least they are when we have to be in close proximity for extended periods of time.

I think we need a national law mandating them indoors. Actually was sitting by a family from Wisconsin & Virginia yesterday when we docked up at this place on the water just west of Columbia. They came down here specifically because of the lack of restrictions and the water.

I think this is what you’re seeing in a lot of Southern states, flocks of people flooding for vacations because they can go out to eat and do activities without the Northern restrictions. I’d say the majority of plates I saw on the road were out of state and our traffic map currently is terrible. Extremely long backups of up to an hour to get to the beach

Guest ovweather
1 hour ago, Hoosier said:

Indiana reported just over 10k test results today.  I think that is the highest number of tests in a day, or at least one of the highest. 

I'm sure Trump will give Pence a proper lashing for his state practicing such extreme testing.

18 hours ago, Hoosier said:

Pretty good percentage on positive tests lately as well... not as good as some of the states in the northeast but consistently in the mid single digits or so.  I read that the state is testing every nursing home employee this month (in part to get a better idea on asymptomatic carriers especially in higher risk jobs like that) so there are actually asymptomatic people being tested in addition to people who have symptoms.

Testing being open for anyone who wants it beginning last week is probably the reason for the high number of tests. My wife got one Wednesday and got the results back on Friday (negative).

Coronavirus's are a little different than Influenza. Will be interesting to see what happens when UV weakens by August and viral loads increase. If it comes back and starts killing younger people at a greater clip, then research will adjust to the reality. Hopefully the current research holds.

Make sure to load up on vitamin D. This is key with COVID I think.

• Haha 1

At the end of April, the avg. cases load daily was approx 31,000, which at that time had a 2,100 person death rate per day in the US.  Recently, that avg. daily case load is approx 23,000, down approximately 25% and the avg per person death rate daily is approx 750, down 65%.  Even to say that the death toll is two weeks behind, the avg. daily deaths continued to fall quicker than the avg. daily case load.

I can't rationalize the difference in the % changes in cases vs. deaths (this assumes a rolling average to smooth it out) but I have seen a number of articles of healthcare professionals describing the virus as less virulent and many more asymptomatic cases as of late.  I'm not sure what to think of all that....  

I'm a numbers person and numbers always tell a story, which is why I look at it from this perspetive.

34 minutes ago, RyanDe680 said:

At the end of April, the avg. cases load daily was approx 31,000, which at that time had a 2,100 person death rate per day in the US.  Recently, that avg. daily case load is approx 23,000, down approximately 25% and the avg per person death rate daily is approx 750, down 65%.  Even to say that the death toll is two weeks behind, the avg. daily deaths continued to fall quicker than the avg. daily case load.

I can't rationalize the difference in the % changes in cases vs. deaths (this assumes a rolling average to smooth it out) but I have seen a number of articles of healthcare professionals describing the virus as less virulent and many more asymptomatic cases as of late.  I'm not sure what to think of all that....  

I'm a numbers person and numbers always tell a story, which is why I look at it from this perspetive.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/22/health/covid-younger-adults-lower-death-rate-trnd/index.html

4 hours ago, IWXwx said:

Testing being open for anyone who wants it beginning last week is probably the reason for the high number of tests. My wife got one Wednesday and got the results back on Friday (negative).

Anybody who is asymptomatic can get tested?  Like say you're a 20 year old college kid with no symptoms but you're just curious... even that person?   

All good points. Ultimately time will tell but economically you’ve got states like Michigan with an unemployment rate of 21% & Southern states down to around 10%. It’s an awful dilemma to be in, do you risk mass spread or risk firing employees. Just have to feel for people losing loved ones and losing their incomes. A disaster on all fronts for sure
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Hoosier said:

Yeah, you don't really want it running rampant in the community even among younger people, because it becomes that much harder to keep it away from the more vulnerable folks.

exactly...keep those cases up through summer, and wave two will be so much more widespread come fall. i would imagine (and hope) we'll see more mask requirements at the state level in the short term. 

3 hours ago, RyanDe680 said:

So then if the 20-40 demographic is taking it to the chin, the 50+ aren't doing anything?

Not 100% sure what you mean. I can't say for sure, but I imagine the 50+ crowd is taking more precautions. Hopefully with their children and grandchildren, too.