Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Coronavirus

Chicago Storm

On 6/4/2020 at 12:49 AM, nwohweather said:

Meh hasn’t been too much to this point, but we will see what happens if the protests accelerate it. I think as a country we did pretty good overall adjusting to life with it in such short time, and current market data has been very robust.

Probably a little too soon to be blaming protests.  Wouldn't see anything from that until later this week or early next. Other states that opened early are also seeing spikes, though Georgia is somewhat perplexing.

rolling_south_carolina.thumb.png.db6ee160ea8072ba888d2cf2a3766eb9.png

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, purduewx80 said:

Probably a little too soon to be blaming protests.  Wouldn't see anything from that until later this week or early next. Other states that opened early are also seeing spikes, though Georgia is somewhat perplexing.

More social interaction especially around Memorial Day. Other states like NC/FL/TX/AZ have had similar climbs.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Stebo said:

More social interaction especially around Memorial Day. Other states like NC/FL/TX/AZ have had similar climbs.

Well what's interesting is that Myrtle Beach & Charleston haven't really spiked much, it's Columbia & Greenville that have. The thought is protests at the Capitol & lots of minorities in crowded homes up in Greenville are the causes but that is just the theory the state is saying.

At the end of the day what's hurting us is no one cared about the virus here except old people. No one is wearing masks and social places are packed to the gills. Even in a more progressive place like Charleston it's noticeable how little people care about their health in general compared to Michigan & Ohio. Just about everything is fried, smoked or grilled and I've had multiple people confused that I use that Emergen-C powder in my water here at work. It's like the thought of a flu season is completely foreign here. Lets hope this thing fades out like the Spanish Flu but it seems like it's all aboard the train at this point

Still too early to feel great, but the trends in Wisconsin the last couple weeks sure have been promising.  Fingers crossed the protests and other gatherings don't mess things up; since May 30 almost every day the percent positive has been between 2-4% and today so far it has dropped below 2% for the first time since the beginning of the outbreak I believe.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, wisconsinwx said:

Still too early to feel great, but the trends in Wisconsin the last couple weeks sure have been promising.  Fingers crossed the protests and other gatherings don't mess things up; since May 30 almost every day the percent positive has been between 2-4% and today so far it has dropped below 2% for the first time since the beginning of the outbreak I believe.

Yeah the one silver lining is that these protests have occurred in the month where UV light is at its strongest. 

On 6/9/2020 at 1:33 AM, purduewx80 said:

Deaths still flat. Increased testing can explain the rise in cases.

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

1 hour ago, Jonger said:

Deaths still flat. Increased testing can explain the rise in cases.

But it doesn’t according to at least one state epidemiologist. 

“Early on, South Carolina took the essential steps needed to flatten the curve,” Alberg said. “The problem has been re-opening too soon, which has led to a very large upsurge in COVID-19 cases that cannot be accounted for solely due to the increased testing for active SARS-CoV-2 infections.“

https://www.thedailybeast.com/is-south-carolina-already-on-a-second-wave-of-covid-19?ref=scroll

• Like 1

Welcome to the tip of the iceberg..:(

According to a WARN notice filed with the state - a mandatory notification of mass layoffs - the Whitehall facility was “significantly impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic.” According to that notice, 306 employees were permanently laid off between April 3 and May 31.

An additional 319 employees took temporary layoffs, as permitted through a collective bargaining agreement devised with UAW Local 1243, which represents some employees.

Howmet “now believes that those voluntary layoffs may become permanent, due to business circumstances the company could not reasonably foresee in the form of a sudden and recent reduction in customer orders related to the COVID-19 pandemic,” reads the WARN letter.

https://www.mlive.com/news/muskegon/2020/06/more-than-600-laid-off-at-howmet-near-muskegon-due-to-coronavirus.html

Allen county, IN (where Fort Wayne is) has started putting up bigger daily case numbers than Marion and Lake counties, even though it is #3 in population.  Wonder if they recently increased their testing capacity more than the other counties or if there is some other explanation.

3 hours ago, Hoosier said:

Allen county, IN (where Fort Wayne is) has started putting up bigger daily case numbers than Marion and Lake counties, even though it is #3 in population.  Wonder if they recently increased their testing capacity more than the other counties or if there is some other explanation.

I can't answer that. Having many friends there and living only 20 miles away, I try to keep up on what's happening, but can offer no explanation, although I'll do some research. BTW, I have another friend who has contracted it that is (was) a healthy female in her 40's, although she manages a busy doctor's office in Fort Wayne.  She is hospitalized and very ill.

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, Angrysummons said:

Being a new coronavirus, it will be interesting how it reacts to the dying sun angle over August. This is when influenza for example begins to repower back up, continuing into the fall. The sun uv light really knocks down viruses. But when the fall season begins, the virus will be ready to reemerge, even more violent, killing younger and younger people. This is why virus's like this need herd immunity, but forced herd immunity for everybody under 60. Everybody gets it now, will not get the worse version later. Should be public policy.

there is no scientific reason why the virus will be more deadly for young people in the future.  In fact most diseases become less deadly as time goes on since the less deadly strains are more likely to spread.  The 1918 influenza was abnormal in the fact that it became more deadly with the second wave

• Like 3

2 hours ago, IWXwx said:

I can't answer that. Having many friends there and living only 20 miles away, I try to keep up on what's happening, but can offer no explanation, although I'll do some research. BTW, I have another friend who has contracted it that is (was) a healthy female in her 40's, although she manages a busy doctor's office in Fort Wayne.  She is hospitalized and very ill.

:(

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Hoosier said:

Tomorrow we go into the deep end of the pool here in Indiana.  Bars, movie theaters and other stuff that has been closed can operate at 50%. 

Limit on crowd size goes up to 250, including events like weddings and parties.  

Most of Ontario moved to stage 2 today. Group size increased from 5 to 10 people. Malls and restaurant patios can reopen with significant restrictions. Movie theatres and entertainment venues are still closed. Hair salons also opened today. 

Two counties north of here also made face coverings mandatory for everyone working or entering a place of business. Wondering if more areas will adopt the same policy.

• Like 3

7 day rolling average of US deaths/day is currently about 750.  Models drop the daily average down to about 600-650 before plateauing and then starting to rise again late summer into fall.

I do think we are in a better place than when we started in terms of understanding this virus and how to try to treat it.  Not rushing to intubate, remdesivir, and now this news out of the UK of a steroid drug having some positive effect, etc.  Hopefully we can get the deaths lower than projected.  

• Like 2

On 6/10/2020 at 1:34 PM, Hoosier said:

Remember when the heat was supposed to help?  

There are all kinds of variables at work of course.  I have read that dry heat may spread it better than a humid airmass.

I wonder how much time spent in re-circulating AC air contributes to spread.  I the north people open their windows and get fresh air.  Arizona and Texas mid-summer is the other cabin fever season.  Similar for Florida with the humidity if you're not right on the beach where you might be able to catch a breeze.

• Like 3

On 6/11/2020 at 12:55 PM, Hoosier said:

I finally got the answer for Allen Co. Indiana's spike. There is a large Burmese presence and it it is spreading rapidly among that population. 

On 6/16/2020 at 3:55 PM, Hoosier said:

7 day rolling average of US deaths/day is currently about 750.  Models drop the daily average down to about 600-650 before plateauing and then starting to rise again late summer into fall.

I do think we are in a better place than when we started in terms of understanding this virus and how to try to treat it.  Not rushing to intubate, remdesivir, and now this news out of the UK of a steroid drug having some positive effect, etc.  Hopefully we can get the deaths lower than projected.  

Could any of that be due to virus mutation as well?  I agree that the lowering death rate is encouraging and most likely due to understanding it more - ie, the effects on the blood vs. primarily a respiratory disease.

8 hours ago, IWXwx said:

I finally got the answer for Allen Co. Indiana's spike. There is a large Burmese presence and it it is spreading rapidly among that population. 

The increase seems to be slowing there now, but we'll probably need some more time to be sure.

31 minutes ago, RyanDe680 said:

Could any of that be due to virus mutation as well?  I agree that the lowering death rate is encouraging and most likely due to understanding it more - ie, the effects on the blood vs. primarily a respiratory disease.

Not sure but I tend to think not.  The mutations haven't been all that significant up to this point.