Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Coronavirus

Chicago Storm

Guest ovweather
2 hours ago, Hoosier said:

IN had one of its highest new case numbers since this all began, and the highest number since May 5.  BUT, the positive test rate was about 9%.  That is not ideal but it continues the recent trend of getting around/under 10%.

676 new positives and 48 deaths today. Where are the majority of these numbers coming from? Indianapolis, still? That's 676 people who could have been spreading the virus over the past few weeks as things in the state have slowly been opening up.

On the flip side, Kentucky's numbers have yet to come close to anything like in Indiana, and the state has also been slower to open up. Barber shops / beauty salons still aren't open here in KY, but they do reopen Monday. Going to be a mad rush at these places! Btw, restaurants still aren't opening up here, but will soon at only 1/3 normal capacity.

36 minutes ago, ovweather said:

676 new positives and 48 deaths today. Where are the majority of these numbers coming from? Indianapolis, still? That's 676 people who could have been spreading the virus over the past few weeks as things in the state have slowly been opening up.

On the flip side, Kentucky's numbers have yet to come close to anything like in Indiana, and the state has also been slower to open up. Barber shops / beauty salons still aren't open here in KY, but they do reopen Monday. Going to be a mad rush at these places! Btw, restaurants still aren't opening up here, but will soon at only 1/3 normal capacity.

Indianapolis area reported the highest number of new cases, as is always the case.  However, the new deaths actually tied in Marion and Lake counties, which is very unusual because Marion pretty much always has the highest deaths.

Screenshot_20200521-143133.thumb.png.389c39ed1b7f10e7fd4f36c66d41b813.png

22 hours ago, kevlon62 said:

Heard today of a few construction sites shutting down in Waukesha County, with positive tests abundant. 30+ positives at one site alone.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

It would be nice if they did not deem construction essential business, it's not quite as important as factories, but obviously still a potential breeding ground due to the length of time they are hanging around the site and repeated exposure.

19 hours ago, Chambana said:

A much  needed sense of normalcy coming for Illinois residents, as bars and restaurants can allow outside dining with social distancing rules in place May 29th.  What I fear is the “second wave” of this during the fall months when flu season ramps back up. 

We better have widespread testing available for everyone by then so we can maintain some sense of normalcy and feel like we are catching and isolating most of the cases.

• Weenie 1

5 hours ago, wisconsinwx said:

We better have widespread testing available for everyone by then so we can maintain some sense of normalcy and feel like we are catching and isolating most of the cases.

Either that or it fades out similar to the Spanish Flu. As always the Midwest fear of this ceases to amaze me, and I cannot relate. We've literally had SC open for weeks and no spike has occurred, in fact we are going to open all public attractions as well on Friday. 

This thing just doesn't seem the be as lethal or spread as quickly in the heat, so summer nationally should buy us all time for better medicines to be developed to manage the symptoms

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

28 minutes ago, nwohweather said:

Either that or it fades out similar to the Spanish Flu. As always the Midwest fear of this ceases to amaze me, and I cannot relate. We've literally had SC open for weeks and no spike has occurred, in fact we are going to open all public attractions as well on Friday. 

This thing just doesn't seem the be as lethal or spread as quickly in the heat, so summer nationally should buy us all time for better medicines to be developed to manage the symptoms

Boy, South Carolina sounds like a magical place.  Does it rain gold there too?

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

On 5/20/2020 at 7:12 PM, Chambana said:

A much  needed sense of normalcy coming for Illinois residents, as bars and restaurants can allow outside dining with social distancing rules in place May 29th.  What I fear is the “second wave” of this during the fall months when flu season ramps back up. 

The problem is they no one really knows if this is seasonal or not. 

14 minutes ago, Stebo said:

Hahahahaha. Like no joke I legit laughed out loud on that one. Solid

lol, I was kinda smiling as I typed it.  He posts about the Midwest as if he's some longtime resident of the south and he's been in SC for what, 10 minutes?  Just a little funny.   

• Like 2

1 hour ago, nwohweather said:

https://www.al.com/news/2020/05/montgomery-running-out-of-icu-beds-as-coronavirus-cases-double-in-may.html

the virus is just withering in the heat 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

37 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

lol, I was kinda smiling as I typed it.  He posts about the Midwest as if he's some longtime resident of the south and he's been in SC for what, 10 minutes?  Just a little funny.   

Yeah didn't you know SC is most amazing state ever? 

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, madwx said:

At this point it is just fox news talking points. Facts are irrelevant to those people. Meanwhile great point made by you, these southern states weren't never prepared and had limited capacity to begin with.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Hahahahaha. Like no joke I legit laughed out loud on that one. Solid

And I laugh at the fact your governor is telling you what you can and can’t buy at the store meanwhile I can go eat BBQ with the guys after golf league.

Hoosier, it’s not that I’m a longtime resident, it’s that I’ve experienced this entire event in South Carolina and can not relate at all to what you guys are. It might not rain gold here but hey at least we don’t have 5000 dead like Michigan. Heck we haven’t even hit 10,000 cases yet.

Which goes back to most of my posts, it’s shocking to see how scared you guys are of this and my relatives are as well. Other than working from home my life really hasn’t changed which shows just how much more effective warmer weather is at stopping the spread
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, nwohweather said:

And I laugh at the fact your governor is telling you what you can and can’t buy at the store meanwhile I can go eat BBQ with the guys after golf league.

Hoosier, it’s not that I’m a longtime resident, it’s that I’ve experienced this entire event in South Carolina and can not relate at all to what you guys are. It might not rain gold here but hey at least we don’t have 5000 dead like Michigan. Heck we haven’t even hit 10,000 cases yet.

Which goes back to most of my posts, it’s shocking to see how scared you guys are of this and my relatives are as well. Other than working from home my life really hasn’t changed which shows just how much more effective warmer weather is at stopping the spread

South Carolina is #30 in terms of cases.  They are also #29 in terms of testing out of 30.  Maybe the state needs to test more.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

South Carolina is #30 in terms of cases.  They are also #29 in terms of testing out of 30.  Maybe the state needs to test more.  

Other way around, the people need to go get tested. We have tons of tests here in Charleston, hell there’s two sites within 2 miles of me.

That goes back to my original point, no one is really freaked by it so they’re not following the precautions like what you see in Ohio.

I almost wish they made people get tested once a month or drive around neighborhoods like an ice cream truck lol
  • Confused 1

Guest ovweather
10 hours ago, nwohweather said:

South Carolina has more positive cases and deaths than Kentucky. SC also relaxed their lockdown rules much earlier. KY just started this week “opening” things up. The governor here in KY (who is a Democrat) never shut down carry out from restaurants, nor golf courses, so really not much different here than what SC had in place about a month ago. We could of played a round of golf and gone ate BBQ, too, during the “lockdown.” And it’s been a cool weather pattern here the past month. Despite the cool temperatures / dreary weather, cases have been gradually declining here, no doubt thanks to the stricter rules. So really, SC hasn’t done anything special. And who really knows how hot weather will affect the virus as most of the country has yet to experience the prolonged heat that comes with deep summer.

12 hours ago, nwohweather said:

I work in an international airport terminal, if I wasn't a bit concerned and scared I would have no brain. I don't want this terminal filled with people any time soon because of people like you who think this is no big deal. SC hasn't had high numbers because they are purposely not testing as many either through not enough kits or trying to keep numbers down falsely. Congrats on not having 5000 dead though, imagine if nothing was done, how many would be dead. Honestly your posts scream uneducated.

• Like 4

I work in an international airport terminal, if I wasn't a bit concerned and scared I would have no brain. I don't want this terminal filled with people any time soon because of people like you who think this is no big deal. SC hasn't had high numbers because they are purposely not testing as many either through not enough kits or trying to keep numbers down falsely. Congrats on not having 5000 dead though, imagine if nothing was done, how many would be dead. Honestly your posts scream uneducated.

I’ve never said it’s no big deal, if anything my argument is open with social distancing. I believe we all should have to wear masks in an indoor setting, I always have mine on. But heck even Dr Fauci said today keeping everyone locked up over this can be crippling for us.

My opinion comes from managing millions of dollars daily and controlling costs while creating projects to become more efficient for a multi-billion dollar corporation. I’m sorry but I really don’t care to hear the opinion of meteorology grad on how our economy should stay closed.

I understand everyone’s concerns but if you saw what I do economically on a day to day basis you would be saying the same things, it’s the equivalent of looking at Hurricane Katrina a couple days before landfall and saying you shouldn’t evacuate.

Finally unfortunately I am educated, BSBA in Supply Chain Management (:

• Like 3

3 hours ago, nwohweather said:

I’ve never said it’s no big deal, if anything my argument is open with social distancing. I believe we all should have to wear masks in an indoor setting, I always have mine on. But heck even Dr Fauci said today keeping everyone locked up over this can be crippling for us.

My opinion comes from managing millions of dollars daily and controlling costs while creating projects to become more efficient for a multi-billion dollar corporation. I’m sorry but I really don’t care to hear the opinion of meteorology grad on how our economy should stay closed.

I understand everyone’s concerns but if you saw what I do economically on a day to day basis you would be saying the same things, it’s the equivalent of looking at Hurricane Katrina a couple days before landfall and saying you shouldn’t evacuate.

Finally unfortunately I am educated, BSBA in Supply Chain Management (:

Of course (unfortunately) it’s hard to argue with what you’re saying, based on how our country is currently structured ..but my view all along is that the pandemic is exposing the toxic “every man for themselves” culture in the US, where people are pitted against each other for the sake of “the economy”, against the greater good. 

Sure, it leads to a greater GDP and a lot of wealth...but people and small community/local businesses shouldn’t need to make the difficult decision to risk getting sick for the sake of the economy. 

We must have something good come out of this pandemic, for the cohesiveness of our society and so people look out for each other and look out for the greater good. For example, paid sick leave, better value health care, paid paternal and maternal leave, etc. We must stop fighting ruthlessly against each other, and stop the idea that we must out do someone else in order to better ourselves.  The American individualist ideal is tiresome and, combined with the toxicity of technology and social media, has led us to where we are today. 

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

My uncle's friend died from the virus.  55 years old and according to my uncle, no underlying health conditions.

Unfortunately it wouldn't surprise me if we get to the point where most of us know or know of someone who got seriously ill or died from it.

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, Hoosier said:

My uncle's friend died from the virus.  55 years old and according to my uncle, no underlying health conditions.

Unfortunately it wouldn't surprise me if we get to the point where most of us know or know of someone who got seriously ill or died from it.

I know four people who have/had it. One friend died (underlying health issues). Two others had extensive stays in icu. Both families were prepared for the worst, and both nearly didn’t make it. One is a female in her 50’s and healthy, although is/was a smoker. Covid cured her. The other is a male in his early 40’s and had no health issues. The fourth is an otherwise healthy male in his late 40’s. He simply isolated at home, and is just now back to 100% after several weeks.

• Sad 1