Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Coronavirus

Chicago Storm

On 5/9/2020 at 9:43 AM, Jonger said:

People die everyday, now they die and if a positive COVID-19 result is shown, the virus is labeled as the cause.

Random viruses cycle through the population all the time, we just don't go to this extent of testing with most.

And when a goat and a piece of fruit can test "positive", it calls into question just what being positive for C-19 really means? Those two medical doctors in California that arranged an interview with their local TV station said the numbers were pointing towards a 99.97% likelihood of SURVIVING the virus (for healthy people ofc).  I know there are plenty here who have bought into the fear factor hook line and sinker. But this qualifying as a "pandemic" has never passed the sniff test in my opinion. CBS news even staged a line-up of vehicles in Grand Rapids to make it seem worse since there weren't that many people seeking a test when they arrived with their filming crew. I was passing through Hesperia (WMI) yesterday and decided to grab some wine from their local supermarket. The only people with masks were elderly, and the workers (some of which just pulled them up around the old folks) like my cashier. To that stat wrt the Midwest not wearing masks as much as southerners, maybe outside the major cities there's some truth to it.  

• Weenie 2

29 minutes ago, RogueWaves said:

And when a goat and a piece of fruit can test "positive", it calls into question just what being positive for C-19 really means? Those two medical doctors in California that arranged an interview with their local TV station said the numbers were pointing towards a 99.97% likelihood of SURVIVING the virus (for healthy people ofc).  I know there are plenty here who have bought into the fear factor hook line and sinker. But this qualifying as a "pandemic" has never passed the sniff test in my opinion. CBS news even staged a line-up of vehicles in Grand Rapids to make it seem worse since there weren't that many people seeking a test when they arrived with their filming crew. I was passing through Hesperia (WMI) yesterday and decided to grab some wine from their local supermarket. The only people with masks were elderly, and the workers (some of which just pulled them up around the old folks) like my cashier. To that stat wrt the Midwest not wearing masks as much as southerners, maybe outside the major cities there's some truth to it.  

Definition of pandemic is an infectious disease that spreads across multiple continents or the world.  Based on that, I'm not sure how this doesn't meet the definition.  It started in China and spread across much of the world.  

You could maybe argue that the seasonal flu is "pandemic", but generally it's not considered to be as it tends to appear simultaneously across regions and not originate in one place and spread out.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

See, to say that covid isn’t the underlying cause of deaths to me is like saying that you lost money in the stock market in 2008 because stocks went down, not because of the underlying housing crisis.  Cause and effect, no?

if someone contracts the virus, ends up getting pneumonia and then passes away, would they have had pneumonia without the virus? (Underlying cause aside, because I know there are a decent amount of those)

So Lake county IN begins phased reopening tomorrow... joining most of the rest of IN which began last Monday.  Still another week until restaurants can open for dine-in at reduced capacity here, but most of IN can start dine-in at reduced capacity tomorrow.

City of Gary has a stay at home order until May 15, but let's be honest, it is not really enforced.  There is not much to stop a Gary resident from traveling to a neighboring town to do something that they can't do in Gary.  I have read a few stories from around Indiana about people being pulled over for a DUI or whatever and then having the stay at home violation tacked on, but that is more of an incidental thing as it's not the original reason for being stopped.

Hope things turn out well.  Based on what I have read in other states that have begun reopening, there are some businesses that are choosing not to reopen even though they can.  Wonder if I will see the same thing around here.   

:/

Colorado Paramedic Who Came to Help New York Dies From Covid-19

For three weeks, Paul Cary transported coronavirus patients to hospitals by ambulance. He had already signed up for a second 30-day deployment in New York when he started feeling sick.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/02/nyregion/paramedic-paul-cary-coronavirus-nyc.html?smid=tw-nytimes&smtyp=cur

• Sad 4

22 hours ago, Hoosier said:

Definition of pandemic is an infectious disease that spreads across multiple continents or the world.  Based on that, I'm not sure how this doesn't meet the definition.  It started in China and spread across much of the world.  

You could maybe argue that the seasonal flu is "pandemic", but generally it's not considered to be as it tends to appear simultaneously across regions and not originate in one place and spread out.  

Technically, that's correct ofc. What I meant was compared to the 50 Million estimated deaths (some say higher) of the 1918 pandemic, the lethalness hasn't reached the levels that impact the societal psyche like that. A parallel comparison might be WW2 and the Vietnam conflict. Everyone was impacted by WW2 in some direct way. Nasso much with Vietnam. 

Meanwhile, "incidental deaths" in Michigan are up, and substantially so do the fear of encountering C-19 if you go anywhere near a hospital ER. 

Those concerns are supported by Michigan death-certificate data for the last week of March and first two weeks of April. During that period, Michigan recorded 7,773 deaths from all causes, a 37% spike compared to the 5,609 deaths during same three-week period in 2019.

In addition to 1,384 deaths from coronavirus, deaths also increased in other categories during that time, including a 19% increase in deaths from heart disease, a 22% increase in stroke deaths and a 38% in deaths attributed to chronic lower respiratory disease.

https://www.mlive.com/public-interest/2020/05/michigan-coronavirus-crisis-causes-delays-in-other-health-care-sometimes-with-deadly-consequences.html

On 5/10/2020 at 3:59 PM, Hoosier said:

I bet the life cycle of most viruses work this way.

I'm financially set because of this situation, so it's hard for me to be upset -- but I'm still going to weigh in.

• Weenie 1

Interesting chart that gives you an idea of how C-19 stacks up against other outbreaks. The pink rectangle is the "range" expected. Final numbers TBD ofc. It could be as low as equivalent to the seasonal flu, but likely higher. And certainly more contagious. 

COVID-19 vs other viruses.PNG

Anecdote time but my aunt told me she witnessed an elderly woman with a cane being heckled for wearing a mask inside of a store.  I mean really?  That is the type of person who should be more concerned about this virus.  Why is a mask triggering people?  

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Anecdote time but my aunt told me she witnessed an elderly woman with a cane being heckled for wearing a mask inside of a store.  I mean really?  That is the type of person who should be more concerned about this virus.  Why is a mask triggering people?  

Maybe it's the same reason people are being triggered because you can go get a haircut.

8 minutes ago, weatherbo said:

Maybe it's the same reason people are being triggered because you can go get a haircut.

Speaking of that, I may never go to the barber again lol.  Have cut my own hair a couple times since this started and did a pretty good job if I must say so myself.  Barber does cut it quicker but I think I would get more time efficient with continued practice.  

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

3 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Speaking of that, I may never go to the barber again lol.  Have cut my own hair a couple times since this started and did a pretty good job if I must say so myself.  Barber does cut it quicker but I think I would get more time efficient with continued practice.  

I took clippers and a #1 guard and just buzzed it.  I've gotten use to it I guess.  A sock hat outside is a necessity.

35 minutes ago, Jonger said:

Once you hit 40 it's time to shave your head.

For single men, women prefer guys who buzz anyhow.

Under 40 are typically single. So in your world, all guys go buzz, lol. l need mine cut every 5-6 wks and it wasn't cut just prior to shutdown, so I'm really needing a trim on the backside. Can tackle the rest ok and have been. 

• Confused 1

Guest ovweather
4 hours ago, Hoosier said:

Because some people are just shit. Ever heard the heavy-metal band Slipknot’s song People=Shit? Very appropriate for anyone who would heckle an elderly person.

As far as the anti-mask crowd, they need to grow up and quit crying about their constitutional rights being stepped on. Poor babies. Senator Rand Paul of KY, a doctor by the way, is refusing to wear a mask. I guess since he’s had and recovered from the virus, he’s probably immune, but he could set the proper example by still wearing one. It’s basically a political move to kiss the behind of his redneck constituents who elected him. But a doctor downplaying face masks is irresponsible.

Saw a graph showing dine-in attendance at restaurants in some southern states that have reopened.  The numbers are way down, even accounting for the capacity limits that are in place.  Going to be important to thrive on takeout and outdoor seating, which obviously not all will be able to do.   

4 hours ago, Hoosier said:

Saw a graph showing dine-in attendance at restaurants in some southern states that have reopened.  The numbers are way down, even accounting for the capacity limits that are in place.  Going to be important to thrive on takeout and outdoor seating, which obviously not all will be able to do.   

Yeah we had little choice. Tourism is soooo important to this area, that a lot of the talk is why would someone visit from Detroit or Chicago if these coastal communities are full of shuttered businesses. 

Honestly you you guys are lucky in the Rust Belt to be so dependent on manufacturing right now. Because the service industry is king, the state was basically saying we will be broke unless we figure out some way to open things.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, RyanDe680 said:

IL with the daily chart topper.  Very sad.

On the other hand, Wisconsin's percent positive is as low as it's been in weeks.  Promising to see on Tuesday when numbers tend to shoot back up from weekend lows:

https://www.jsonline.com/story/news/2020/05/12/wisconsin-coronavirus-193-new-cases-state-nears-reopening-goal/3114828001/?fbclid=IwAR3wQszAMW84GSnEf6UsaxI60zhZ3yK6lHGCKB5Hh7Z_uAr2qXgsNahA3ys

• Like 2