Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Coronavirus

Chicago Storm

10 hours ago, nwohweather said:

Yeah no one followed it lol. Seriously traffic is been pretty heavy for awhile, boat launches have almost no parking spots, parks full, and golf courses requiring tee times as late as 5 PM on weekdays. 

Again though it is an entirely different culture here. Believe me when I say it is obvious why these people seceded from the Union first in the Civil War. Politically this state makes Donald Trump look like a liberal lol

Ive been looking at traffic jams in North America since mid march and I havent seen a change in South Carolinas cities? Though to be fair, I never really looked at Charleston or Columbias traffic before, but at 8:30am today there is zero traffic and it shows all green on the interstates? Is there normally traffic jams in those cities? Atlanta, Houston, Dallas all show relatively easy commutes still even though they are open. 

The reason im interested is I live in Hamilton and commute to Toronto now that my job is back (4 weeks deemed non-essential construction) and my commute should take 65-90 minutes because its bumper to bumper but right now im doing it in 40 minutes at 7:30am with it feeling like a sunday evening drive. 

• Like 1

Ive been looking at traffic jams in North America since mid march and I havent seen a change in South Carolinas cities? Though to be fair, I never really looked at Charleston or Columbias traffic before, but at 8:30am today there is zero traffic and it shows all green on the interstates? Is there normally traffic jams in those cities? Atlanta, Houston, Dallas all show relatively easy commutes still even though they are open. 
The reason im interested is I live in Hamilton and commute to Toronto now that my job is back (4 weeks deemed non-essential construction) and my commute should take 65-90 minutes because its bumper to bumper but right now im doing it in 40 minutes at 7:30am with it feeling like a sunday evening drive. 

Lol Charleston & Columbia are about the same size metro area wise as El Paso. Our cities here are very small, not even a million people.

Also Charleston is a very wealthy area so many are working from home. To give people perspective the city has similar home values to Rochester Hills, MI and the suburbs are on price with Clarendon Hills outside of Chicago. Honestly coming from Toledo I have never seen an entire city like this. There are rough spots in North Charleston but even that is being gentrified quick.
  • Like 2

32 minutes ago, nwohweather said:

Lol Charleston & Columbia are about the same size metro area wise as El Paso. Our cities here are very small, not even a million people.

Also Charleston is a very wealthy area so many are working from home. To give people perspective the city has similar home values to Rochester Hills, MI and the suburbs are on price with Clarendon Hills outside of Chicago. Honestly coming from Toledo I have never seen an entire city like this. There are rough spots in North Charleston but even that is being gentrified quick.

Thanks for clarifying. Here in Ontario and I would imagine most states there is a disconnect between smaller cities and rural vs bigger cities. The low population of South Carolina might explain some characteristics as Northern Ontario cities are also asking for Ontario to reopen and I imagine they're calling us in the Southern part sissies. Its all relative though because I travel all over Ontario for work and sometimes the Northern Ontario clients come down to Toronto and sweat buckets and talk about how nerve whacking the 18 lane wide 401 is by the airport. They also ask how does anyone get used to driving like that haha. For me thats where I can call them sissies haha  

• Like 1

We’ve been talking about population risk, age structure, SES and prevalence of preexisting conditions, and so on.  All that is in play here.  But what really stood out to me in this article was how in terms of transmission risk it doesn’t matter how densely populated a region is — if the community itself and the families that make up the community are closely connected. Navajo nation had a superspreader event at a tent revival back in early March and the attendees took it home.  NYT article from early last April:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/09/us/coronavirus-navajo-nation.html

Checkpoints, Curfews, Airlifts: Virus Rips Through Navajo Nation

More recent article notes that there’s now been 75 deaths.

• Sad 1

Thanks for clarifying. Here in Ontario and I would imagine most states there is a disconnect between smaller cities and rural vs bigger cities. The low population of South Carolina might explain some characteristics as Northern Ontario cities are also asking for Ontario to reopen and I imagine they're calling us in the Southern part sissies. Its all relative though because I travel all over Ontario for work and sometimes the Northern Ontario clients come down to Toronto and sweat buckets and talk about how nerve whacking the 18 lane wide 401 is by the airport. They also ask how does anyone get used to driving like that haha. For me thats where I can call them sissies haha  

Right lol. Traffic can be iffy here but that’s more because the highway system is terrible in the South

23 hours ago, nwohweather said:

Yeah no one ever really stayed at home here truthfully. I’m being very cautious as this thing doesn’t play around, but the overall talk down here is that people up north are being a bunch of sissies about this, and seeing both social media and this forum I tend to agree.

There isn’t the mass hysteria on our local news, or within people here. We’re just wearing masks and staying outside. This has led to 7x less cases than Michigan and only 240 deaths thus far.

No one seems to be asking, why is it so much worse up North if the rules are so much stricter? Shouldn’t the spread be much less?

Detroit has a lot of international travel due to the auto industry. I believe dtw was one of the few airports in the country that was still accepting flights from china even after the travel ban in late January. That probably had a lot to do with the high community spread that occurred in the metro detroit area, which is where most of the cases and deaths have occurred. here is a good article that compared # of cases to ohio but applies to several other states as well https://www.mlive.com/public-interest/2020/04/6-reasons-michigan-has-four-times-more-coronavirus-cases-than-ohio.html

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/6/2020 at 11:42 PM, nwohweather said:

Yeah no one ever really stayed at home here truthfully. I’m being very cautious as this thing doesn’t play around, but the overall talk down here is that people up north are being a bunch of sissies about this

Coming from the people who shut everything down over half an inch of snow. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

10 minutes ago, RobertSul said:

Coming from the people who shut everything down over half an inch of snow. 

You are being generous. They pretty much shut down for a snowflake.  If they get a half inch of snow they are stranded on the road for 8 hours with nothing to do but lament a war they lost 160 years ago.

• Haha 4

45 minutes ago, michsnowfreak said:

You are being generous. They pretty much shut down for a snowflake.  If they get a half inch of snow they are stranded on the road for 8 hours with nothing to do but lament a war they lost 160 years ago.

I mean, they make up for it be pretending to be tough, I guess? Nothing says "we're tough guys" like an entire city that's been gentrified. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, nwohweather said:

Interesting data posted by Nate Silver today. Why aren’t you guys wearing masks lol? Stunned at this graphic

4c1d01f436da425529b95cc1a98bca91.jpg

Looks like the liberal-leaning places like the West and Northeast are way ahead on this! Kudos!

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

3 hours ago, nwohweather said:

Interesting data posted by Nate Silver today. Why aren’t you guys wearing masks lol? Stunned at this graphic

I bet if this was broken down by cities, you'd see much higher numbers for Chicago/Detroit compared to the rest of the Midwest. I guarantee that.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, nwohweather said:

Yeah that is fairly surprising, at least to me.  Especially with mask wearing in the South outpacing the Midwest.  Not really sure why that would be.  Maybe people there perceive a higher sense of risk since obesity and diabetes are generally more prevalent?  I think some states in the South also started reopening some things earlier.  Places in the South have been getting a lot of media attention for various reasons (New Orleans, Florida, Georgia) but there are areas in the Midwest that have been too  (like Detroit and Chicago).  Interesting.

6 hours ago, Hoosier said:

Yeah that is fairly surprising, at least to me.  Especially with mask wearing in the South outpacing the Midwest.  Not really sure why that would be.  Maybe people there perceive a higher sense of risk since obesity and diabetes are generally more prevalent?  I think some states in the South also started reopening some things earlier.  Places in the South have been getting a lot of media attention for various reasons (New Orleans, Florida, Georgia) but there are areas in the Midwest that have been too  (like Detroit and Chicago).  Interesting.

Well yeah everything down here is fried lol

• Like 1

After riding high as some of the most revered performers in Vegas, suddenly tragedy struck Siegfried and Roy – and seemingly overnight, the performers disappeared from the spotlight, though their fans remained.  The legendary German-American duo best-known for their Las Vegas animal acts have fans all around the world, who are mourning the loss of Roy Horn, who died on May 8, 2020 from COVID-19 complications.

At least in this article, they use more proper terminology. Other headlines just pin it all on C-19. Not only was he up in years, his 2003 stroke during a performance caused their tiger to bite and drag him like dead prey off the stage, causing severe and lasting injuries including the main artery that supplied his brain with oxygen. Another quite compromised individual (who happened to be famous) pushed over the edge. They even admit he was responding well to treatments (tho fail to state what those were). The MSM hype machine is like a dog on a bone with this and won't let go until every last person is running scared. IMO, they are paid hacks. Paid/controlled to generate a narrative of fear. Fear will steal your will and when you lose your will, your freedoms soon follow. Don't fall for it!  Use discernment and pull the curtain back on MSM outlets to find "the rest of the story" and most importantly, the unbiased truth. 

• Weenie 2

1 hour ago, RogueWaves said:

At least in this article, they use more proper terminology. Other headlines just pin it all on C-19. Not only was he up in years, his 2003 stroke during a performance caused their tiger to bite and drag him like dead prey off the stage, causing severe and lasting injuries including the main artery that supplied his brain with oxygen. Another quite compromised individual (who happened to be famous) pushed over the edge. They even admit he was responding well to treatments (tho fail to state what those were). The MSM hype machine is like a dog on a bone with this and won't let go until every last person is running scared. IMO, they are paid hacks. Paid/controlled to generate a narrative of fear. Fear will steal your will and when you lose your will, your freedoms soon follow. Don't fall for it!  Use discernment and pull the curtain back on MSM outlets to find "the rest of the story" and most importantly, the unbiased truth. 

People die everyday, now they die and if a positive COVID-19 result is shown, the virus is labeled as the cause.

Random viruses cycle through the population all the time, we just don't go to this extent of testing with most.

• Like 1
  • Weenie 2

First look PCR results from study that aimed to survey one entire census tract in the SF mission district (022901, about Folsom / 25th), with an add-on during the last day for persons who commuted to the study tract for work.  First-look serology results to follow.

https://www.ucsf.edu/news/2020/05/417356/initial-results-mission-district-covid-19-testing-announced

Of those tested, 1.4% of residents were PCR+, while 6.1% of commuting & working residents were PCR+

F3A828B7-C2C4-4F24-A6AF-CD9327C49887.thumb.png.5537d8412a82b256fa8c45a6766a32f7.png

Of those working residents who were PCR+, 90% had no option to work from home.  As a sample, those who were PCR+ were predominantly in lower income brackets

042C23D9-E7EB-438C-B884-E58DE107D34E.thumb.jpeg.ec88f242143522af1787c74fc9b2ce9b.jpeg

Given that, it is unsurprising that the majority of those who returned PCR+ test were Hispanic Americans; it is however surprising that the number of Anglos returning a PCR+ test was zero. Zero.

2AF466AE-AEB5-4073-8D44-391F26232C66.thumb.jpeg.5a60041b5f4e69a0dc561370f78a7a43.jpeg

CAA3EE4B-43AC-4B32-880B-5E2717C73C43.jpeg

• Thanks 2

“The results so far suggest that those who are at highest risk for infection are those who cannot easily shelter in place due to job loss, furloughs, or because they are providing the essential services. Among those who tested positive, 90 percent reported being unable to work from home. In contrast, among those who tested negative, 53 percent reported no impact on their work or financial stability. Nearly 89 percent of those who tested positive earn less than $50,000 a year and most live in households of 3 to 5 people (59.6 percent) or larger (28.8 percent). Notably, people who lived outside the census tract but who go there for work were much more likely to test positive (6.1 percent) than residents (1.4 percent).” (UCSF)

”“The people who tested positive were overwhelmingly going to work,” said District 9 Supervisor Hillary Ronen, adding that many might have been undocumented, without any option but to go to work. She said that “basic needs need to be met” when people are in quarantine” (Mission Local)

• Thanks 2

About half returning PCR+ results were pre/asymptomatic, or subclinally symptomatic. The community screening team was confident in their medical history taking being pretty thorough.

Here are some broader demographics for the tract; positive PCR results were concentrated in the 40%ile income tranche and lower

476462EB-B229-4D49-BED6-24456A1E334D.thumb.jpeg.3fab97a2bdd52dc5a387606f30cc4b76.jpeg

B73003FD-E776-477F-A782-F8605DFC9DB0.thumb.jpeg.97fcd506178e1b1297ec3f8e3a0c4e08.jpeg

• Thanks 2

A BoE breakdown of impact on NYC via @Patrick_J_Egan

https://twitter.com/Patrick_J_Egan/status/1259110222813106177?s=20

To date since start of outbreak in NYC, ~1/150 adult New Yorkers hospitalized as a result of C19. Tab on right breaks it down further and it works out to ~1/360 NYC adults dead, within that subset, ~1/60 of New Yorkers above age 75 dead.

9765DE97-6B18-44F5-A464-F07CAF37BF43.thumb.png.75f57cf0d0eba598290785d97ecde15b.png

• Thanks 2

I posted about the Navajo nation upthread; on the northern Plains two of the Sioux tribes in SD have thrown up screening checkpoints for at their borders.  SD governor wants them removed, a friend tells me the Sioux council’s response boiled down to “see you in court”

<< (CNN)The governor of South Dakota has given an ultimatum to two Sioux tribes: Remove checkpoints on state and US highways within 48 hours or risk legal action.

Gov. Kristi Noem sent letters Friday to the leaders of the Oglala Sioux Tribe and the Cheyenne River Sioux Tribe demanding that checkpoints designed to prevent the spread of coronavirus on tribal land be removed, the governor's office said in a statement.

"We are strongest when we work together; this includes our battle against Covid-19," Noem said. "I request that the tribes immediately cease interfering with or regulating traffic on US and State Highways and remove all travel checkpoints."

CNN has reached out to both tribes for comment.

According to Cheyenne River Sioux Tribe checkpoint policies posted on its social media, its reservation residents may travel within South Dakota to areas the state has not deemed a Covid-19 "hotspot" if it's for an essential activity such as medical appointments or to get supplies unavailable on the reservation. But they must complete a health questionnaire when they leave and when they return every time they go through a checkpoint.

South Dakota residents who don't live on the reservation are only allowed there if they're not coming from a hotspot and it is for an essential activity. But they must also complete a health questionnaire.>>

• Thanks 3

I have been monitoring my county's dashboard of cases and there are now only a couple towns without any deaths... and they are the least populated/rural ones (one has a couple thousand residents and the other only has a couple hundred residents).  Even those towns have a few cases though.  Not surprisingly, about 98% of cases are in the more populated northern half of the county as much of the southern 1/2 is rural.