• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Coronavirus

Chicago Storm

Cases, that's more of less where you're getting a high rate of testing.

Most people aren't getting tested, my county has around 300 positive tests out of 180,000 people.

I bet an antibody test would show 50,000 positive results. That would be close to what we see in random tests, not people who "think they have it".

• Weenie 1

7 minutes ago, Jonger said:

Cases, that's more of less where you're getting a high rate of testing.

Most people aren't getting tested, my county has around 300 positive tests out of 180,000 people.

I bet an antibody test would show 50,000 positive results. That would be close to what we see in random tests, not people who "think they have it".

Highly doubt 50,000 out of 180,000.  You would expect NYC area to pretty much have the highest rate given the population density, mass transit, etc. and even their antibody percentage is only twenty something percent I think.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Hoosier said:

Highly doubt 50,000 out of 180,000.  You would expect NYC area to pretty much have the highest rate given the population density, mass transit, etc. and even their antibody percentage is only twenty something percent I think.

The accuracy of maps/graphs/charts right now is quite poor due to asymptomatic people never being tested.

That's my biggest issue with reporting test results.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

That was almost 3 weeks ago when that was revealed, I'm guessing the numbers are only going to get higher over time.

to me this pandemic has confirmed these things to me:

-America is far too dependent on other countries to produce essential everyday items. Someone brought it up earlier but we need to go back to being more of a production economy.  

-Americans desperately need education on how to manage their money properly. Too many people are living beyond their means.

-Politics has divided this country so much, we can't even get along during a global pandemic. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Jonger said:

I'd throw out political parties and just break it down by ethnicity and underlying health.

Where is type 2 diabetes prevalent, versus where it's not as prevalent. 

Most prevalent in communities that have concentrated poverty, high levels of instability and stress in housing and employment, lack of control over schedule and other life circumstances. Difficulty of access to regular contact with endo trained PCP or PCRN. in rural areas access = drive time. Income is best predictor for Type II.  Notice how easy it is to pick out American Indian nations.

582EC1DE-1540-4BA1-BE1C-4F80BF115049.thumb.png.0abe243275592122a72cf40eac65749d.png

• Like 1

You can basically overlay the diabetes belt map, the obesity map, the map of states where unemployed persons were not able to claim UI, the old cotton belt, a map of food deserts, and a map of poverty in the USA. probably also preexisting conditions.

C8C2E963-F5D7-48B6-85EA-54B333BAD78F.thumb.jpeg.7c88ba639f629a4ada9a5fd88f59ba85.jpeg

3 hours ago, Jonger said:

The accuracy of maps/graphs/charts right now is quite poor due to asymptomatic people never being tested.

The problem is that that data may never be reported.  if the suggestion that the antibodies last 10 weeks, we'll never know.

4 hours ago, Hoosier said:

On another note, Indiana put up one of its highest case numbers today, with a positive percent test rate still hovering around 18%.  2 days after starting to reopen so none of that would be accounted for yet.

Also noticed that ICU bed usage crept up.  Not by much but obviously have to watch those numbers extremely closely, even on a county by county level.

5 hours ago, Jonger said:

But it wouldn't be much higher among asymptomatic people, and a lot of these antibody samplings are doing the best to be random (not easy obviously though).  4-6% sounds about right for the majority of America outside of the high impact cities like NYC, Detroit, New Orleans, etc.

African Americans are overwhelmingly being affected the most and type 2 diabetes is highly prevalent among that population. So, yes..... the south will be highly affected.

I have heard more than one researcher link the death rate to vitamin D deficiency. 

https://www.sciencealert.com/covid-deaths-are-being-linked-with-vitamin-d-deficiency-here-s-what-that-means

viewcontent

55 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Man these numbers just suck.  Seems like it's going to take forever to consistently get under 1000 deaths/day in the US.  Will we ever get there with things beginning to reopen?

It is astounding reading this thread and seeing the fear in all you northerners. Guys we've been running around here in South Carolina for two weeks now wide open, heck outdoor bars and restaurants are even full. There was a bit of an uptick but nothing ridiculous, in fact we only added 60 new cases today. 

I know few of you will understand and many will disagree, but everyone north of the Ohio River needs to get a bottle of Xanax and chill out. I feel bad because it pains me to see my old stomping grounds just destroying the economies, which will only lead to more jobs heading to the Sun Belt, but you just gotta be cautious and use common sense folks. 

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

10 minutes ago, Jonger said:

African Americans are overwhelmingly being affected the most and type 2 diabetes is highly prevalent among that population. So, yes..... the south will be highly affected.

I have heard more than one researcher link the death rate to vitamin D deficiency. 

https://www.sciencealert.com/covid-deaths-are-being-linked-with-vitamin-d-deficiency-here-s-what-that-means

viewcontent

Some of the early stuff that came out was actually suggesting that higher vitamin D could be a problem because of what it does with the ACE2 receptor.  Vitamin D has so many health benefits though that imo you are better off getting a good amount than not.  

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, nwohweather said:

It is astounding reading this thread and seeing the fear in all you northerners. Guys we've been running around here in South Carolina for two weeks now wide open, heck outdoor bars and restaurants are even full. There was a bit of an uptick but nothing ridiculous, in fact we only added 60 new cases today. 

I know few of you will understand and many will disagree, but everyone north of the Ohio River needs to get a bottle of Xanax and chill out. I feel bad because it pains me to see my old stomping grounds just destroying the economies, which will only lead to more jobs heading to the Sun Belt, but you just gotta be cautious and use common sense folks. 

Why am I seeing that the South Carolina stay at home order ended on Monday, 2 days ago?

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, nwohweather said:

There are just too many stories of people under 40 getting severely ill/dying from this. Some with no identifiable preexisting conditions.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Why am I seeing that the South Carolina stay at home order ended on Monday, 2 days ago?

Yeah no one followed it lol. Seriously traffic is been pretty heavy for awhile, boat launches have almost no parking spots, parks full, and golf courses requiring tee times as late as 5 PM on weekdays. 

Again though it is an entirely different culture here. Believe me when I say it is obvious why these people seceded from the Union first in the Civil War. Politically this state makes Donald Trump look like a liberal lol

• Haha 1
  • Weenie 1

33 minutes ago, nwohweather said:

Yeah no one followed it lol. Seriously traffic is been pretty heavy for awhile, boat launches have almost no parking spots, parks full, and golf courses requiring tee times as late as 5 PM on weekdays. 

Again though it is an entirely different culture here. Believe me when I say it is obvious why these people seceded from the Union first in the Civil War. Politically this state makes Donald Trump look like a liberal lol

Anecdotally I was noticing more traffic around here few weeks ago and then cell phone tracking data came out that backed it up (not just here but in much of the nation).  People are being more mobile now.  There is definitely stay at home fatigue.   

• Like 1

Anecdotally I was noticing more traffic around here few weeks ago and then cell phone tracking data came out that backed it up (not just here but in much of the nation).  People are being more mobile now.  There is definitely stay at home fatigue.   

Yeah no one ever really stayed at home here truthfully. I’m being very cautious as this thing doesn’t play around, but the overall talk down here is that people up north are being a bunch of sissies about this, and seeing both social media and this forum I tend to agree.

There isn’t the mass hysteria on our local news, or within people here. We’re just wearing masks and staying outside. This has led to 7x less cases than Michigan and only 240 deaths thus far.

No one seems to be asking, why is it so much worse up North if the rules are so much stricter? Shouldn’t the spread be much less?
  • Thanks 1
  • Weenie 1

36 minutes ago, nwohweather said:

Yeah no one ever really stayed at home here truthfully. I’m being very cautious as this thing doesn’t play around, but the overall talk down here is that people up north are being a bunch of sissies about this, and seeing both social media and this forum I tend to agree.

There isn’t the mass hysteria on our local news, or within people here. We’re just wearing masks and staying outside. This has led to 7x less cases than Michigan and only 240 deaths thus far.

No one seems to be asking, why is it so much worse up North if the rules are so much stricter? Shouldn’t the spread be much less?

Maybe weather does play a decent factor in this; in Milwaukee we've regularly had sub 50 degree days the last few weeks, which is supposedly the ideal temperature for the virus to thrive.  Also, crowded parks don't necessarily result in transmission like crowded restaurants or indoor events.  If restaurants have truly been packed for awhile, then I for one may breathe a bit easier.

3 hours ago, wisconsinwx said:

Maybe weather does play a decent factor in this; in Milwaukee we've regularly had sub 50 degree days the last few weeks, which is supposedly the ideal temperature for the virus to thrive.  Also, crowded parks don't necessarily result in transmission like crowded restaurants or indoor events.  If restaurants have truly been packed for awhile, then I for one may breathe a bit easier.

WI and SC are neck and neck in terms of cases per 100,000 people.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/1109004/coronavirus-covid19-cases-rate-us-americans-by-state/

• Like 1

4 hours ago, nwohweather said:

Because it started in the larger cities where people were traveling globally more often. It's fairly obvious the spread was efficient in areas with public transportation.

Cut the N vs S bs. The civil war ended ages ago, and I think we all know who won.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Weenie 1

8 hours ago, nwohweather said:

Again though it is an entirely different culture here. Believe me when I say it is obvious why these people seceded from the Union first in the Civil War.

Because their leadership class belonged to an aristocracy that passionately believed in rights of states, to enslave and own other human beings as chattel, and to enforce the slave system within their own states through mutilations and manhunts. Because they wanted the right to kidnap liberated Blacks from other states, and the right to extend their system of oppression to new territories.  You should be proud to come from the state that raised the company of outnumbered Ohioans which met Longstreet’s men below Cemetery Hill, broke them, and drove them back in disorder to their lines.

Tearing down the slave power root and branch, with fire and sword is one of the best things this country ever did. Allowing the secessionist states to preserve the race system, with the century of segregation, disenfranchisement, terror, de facto serfdom, and organized campaigns of extrajudicial murder that followed was one of the worst.  The lingering effects of that failure as a nation are plainly visible in the maps posted above.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

The whole point of the last six weeks of shelter-in-place and the disruptions that ensued was so that the places that didn’t have it bad, wouldn’t have to get it bad. So that Charleston wouldn’t be Chicago which wouldn’t be New York, which wouldn’t like Italy. It was to buy time so other regions and cities could design, develop, and implement the public health infrastructure and individual & collective & organizational practices so that people in every state could go about their lives.  Public health is a paradox because even partial success looks like not much is happening.  “Nothing happens” is the desired outcome.

42 minutes ago, sokolow said:

The whole point of the last six weeks of shelter-in-place and the disruptions that ensued was so that the places that didn’t have it bad, wouldn’t have to get it bad. So that Charleston wouldn’t be Chicago which wouldn’t be New York, which wouldn’t like Italy. It was to buy time so other regions and cities could design, develop, and implement the public health infrastructure and individual & collective & organizational practices so that people in every state could go about their lives.  Public health is a paradox because even partial success looks like not much is happening.  “Nothing happens” is the desired outcome.

I have been beating this drum ad nauseam, but it seems that a large sector of the US public is blind to the ultimate goal of "nothing happens."