Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Coronavirus

Chicago Storm

2 minutes ago, RobertSul said:

It’s the difference of going into a country you’ve never been before with a map or no map. One has you prepared, the other has you stumbling in the dark, figuratively speaking.

The virus has already taken out the most vulnerable, that's how diseases work.

Lets see how things go after reopening... that's truly the only way we can see how this is going to play out.

LOL "pandemic response team", 

That's a partisan excuse.

• Haha 1
  • Weenie 1

1 minute ago, Jonger said:

Lets see how things go after reopening... that's truly the only way we can see how this is going to play out.

I believe in preparation.

I’m not sure what you mean by partisan, since I was a Republican for 10 years before becoming an Independent. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, RobertSul said:

I believe in preparation.

I’m not sure what you mean by partisan, since I was a Republican for 10 years before becoming an Independent. 

https://www.reuters.com/article/uk-factcheck-trump-fired-pandemic-team/partly-false-claim-trump-fired-pandemic-response-team-in-2018-idUSKBN21C32M

It was a hot little ditty making its way around certain partisan outlets.... partisanship shouldn't have a factor in this, but it certainly did.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Weenie 1

1 minute ago, Jonger said:

https://www.reuters.com/article/uk-factcheck-trump-fired-pandemic-team/partly-false-claim-trump-fired-pandemic-response-team-in-2018-idUSKBN21C32M

It was a hot little diddy making its way around certain partisan outlets.... partisanship shouldn't have a factor in this, but it certainly did.

Accountability and Responsibility should be factors.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, RobertSul said:

Accountability and Responsibility should be factors.

The world wasn't ready for a social media freakout over a virus that kills primarily those with 1 foot in the grave as it is. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Weenie 1

4 minutes ago, Jonger said:

The world wasn't ready for a social media freakout over a virus that kills primarily those with 1 foot in the grave as it is. 

People who get into car accidents, are injured at home, have a sudden medical emergency don't have 1 foot in the grave, and these things can happen at any age, but if the hospitals are overwhelmed, how would they get medical attention? Also, how do you know for sure you don't have a congenital heart disease that wouldn't be further complicated by this disease? 

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Jonger said:

that's how some diseases work.  the 1918 flu disproportionately affected young healthy people

Too many posts to quote over the last couple pages, but why is it the federal government's responsibility to make sure each state is looked after?  What about each state's governor taking some heat for not being prepared instead of all 50 pointing to Washington?  We have a central federal government, but each state is also managed by there own governmental system.  Seems to me like this is the pot calling the kettle black blaming the President and Washington DC for failing when they could have seen to it that their own state was prepared instead of looking elsewhere for help.  Much easier to blame someone else.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Jonger said:

There's a definite divide between private industry and public when it comes to economic pain.

I'm pretty sure public workers have very little risk of losing their jobs when we reopen -- they're budget is made whole by tax payers.

The restaurant owner, the hotel owner.... they're ****ed. 

4/5th of this country is still working a vast majority that isn't working is getting assistance. You are a business owner I'd like to think you have the capital to survive a few months shut down if you are especially with small business assistance as well. If businesses don't have that capital that is a problem, those businesses shouldn't be paycheck to paycheck as well. That is poor business skills. So at this point who out there is actually struggling because outside of assistance being stalled which is more of a government problem, there shouldn't be many if at all struggling.

1 hour ago, WestMichigan said:

Too many posts to quote over the last couple pages, but why is it the federal government's responsibility to make sure each state is looked after?  What about each state's governor taking some heat for not being prepared instead of all 50 pointing to Washington?  We have a central federal government, but each state is also managed by there own governmental system.  Seems to me like this is the pot calling the kettle black blaming the President and Washington DC for failing when they could have seen to it that their own state was prepared instead of looking elsewhere for help.  Much easier to blame someone else.

So you are for state's rights then you should be fine with Whitmer's response, but wait you only care about states rights if you then agree with them too.

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

30 minutes ago, madwx said:

But it only impacts the old........... again people need to read more before coming along saying it's only impacting the old or even killing just the old. And even if it is killing those who have a preexisting condition. Last I checked having these symptoms for 2 months isn't a walk in the park.

6 minutes ago, Stebo said:

4/5th of this country is still working a vast majority that isn't working is getting assistance. You are a business owner I'd like to think you have the capital to survive a few months shut down if you are especially with small business assistance as well. If businesses don't have that capital that is a problem, those businesses shouldn't be paycheck to paycheck as well. That is poor business skills. So at this point who out there is actually struggling because outside of assistance being stalled which is more of a government problem, there shouldn't be many if at all struggling.

Small businesses were able to receive quite a bit of funding through the PPP program and EIDL program. Some of the clients I worked with actually profited from it. They have been in business the entire quarantine making profits and were able to receive substantial funding for payroll/rent for 2 months that is completely forgiven.

Checking out of this thread.  If you aren't for status quo and bow before the government, you aren't really welcome here other than the be told you are an idiot or your point doesn't matter. Every once in a while I see a glimmer of hope that maybe there can be more than one side of the debate only to see that dashed over the next 47 posts.  Have a great day and I will see you when there is some weather to talk about.

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

15 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Small businesses were able to receive quite a bit of funding through the PPP program and EIDL program. Some of the clients I worked with actually profited from it. They have been in business the entire quarantine making profits and were able to receive substantial funding for payroll/rent for 2 months that is completely forgiven.

Exactly. So who are these people who are suffering. Sure there might be someone out there that is but every measure possible is being done to make sure that isn't the case and furthermore some are even making more with this happening which is a whole different horrible issue. But to that point people have money and will spend when this opens. So the economy tanking is on speculation by people who profit off speculation. 

Just now, Jonger said:

The U.S. and U.K are like 10 countries in one. 

There's no apples to apples comparison being displayed here.

Those are cases per million, so they’ve been adjusted for population.

• Like 2

No they weren't. Whoever gave you this information is wrong, and that 'company' you know was probably breaking the law.

We never stopped operations in Michigan. Honestly man I’m a supply chain analyst, I think I’d know if I were facilitating the transfer of goods in Michigan or not. In fact we did one project in Saginaw and another in Kalamazoo.
  • Like 1

Exactly. So who are these people who are suffering. Sure there might be someone out there that is but every measure possible is being done to make sure that isn't the case and furthermore some are even making more with this happening which is a whole different horrible issue. But to that point people have money and will spend when this opens. So the economy tanking is on speculation by people who profit off speculation. 

Service industry people mostly. Retail, airlines, hospitality and dining have been absolutely gutted. Mother works at one of the bigger hotels in Detroit and told me that Las Vegas is basically unemployed. In addition here in Charleston we’ve already lost $1 Billion economically and tons of service industry people have no money
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, Stebo said:

But it only impacts the old........... again people need to read more before coming along saying it's only impacting the old or even killing just the old. And even if it is killing those who have a preexisting condition. Last I checked having these symptoms for 2 months isn't a walk in the park.

Even though the elderly and/or immune-suppressed are the most prevalent victims, I will reiterate my earlier post. I personally know two middle-aged, previously perfectly healthy victims who are probably going to recover, but have gone through hell on earth. One was in the hospital for three and a half weeks and she is still recovering at home two weeks later. The other is on his fifth week in the hospital, not yet close to getting out, and spent a long time on a ventilator. Argue all you want about the economic impacts, the impact on business and industry, politicize it all you want, but it's not the common flu boys and girls. There is no vaccine or antidote.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, IWXwx said:

Even though the elderly and/or immune-suppressed are the most prevalent victims, I will reiterate my earlier post. I personally know two middle-aged, previously perfectly healthy victims who are probably going to recover, but have gone through hell on earth. One was in the hospital for three and a half weeks and she is still recovering at home two weeks later. The other is on his fifth week in the hospital, not yet close to getting out, and spent a long time on a ventilator. Argue all you want about the economic impacts, the impact on business and industry, politicize it all you want, but it's not the common flu boys and girls. There is no vaccine or antidote.

Yeah agree 100% the danger is there for everyone and eve. If you aren't dying if you catch it, it is horrible if you are symptomatic.

1 hour ago, nwohweather said:

We never stopped operations in Michigan. Honestly man I’m a supply chain analyst, I think I’d know if I were facilitating the transfer of goods in Michigan or not. In fact we did one project in Saginaw and another in Kalamazoo.

Who is 'we' and what industry is 'we', that makes a huge difference in the conversation.

1 hour ago, nwohweather said:

Service industry people mostly. Retail, airlines, hospitality and dining have been absolutely gutted. Mother works at one of the bigger hotels in Detroit and told me that Las Vegas is basically unemployed. In addition here in Charleston we’ve already lost $1 Billion economically and tons of service industry people have no money

But the money is lost only in principle, the money will be spent once things open up because a lot of people are sitting on liquidity right now. Anyone that is working or even collecting unemployment. The latter of which covers many of those service industry workers.

Vegas obviously is a different ball of wax because of the gaming industry though so I will give credit on that one.