• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Coronavirus

Chicago Storm

Mental health and suicide hotlines are up over 900% since this started.  Where is the balance between every life we can save from COVID-19 is worth the pain versus we don't care about the other lives being lost to suicide.  Somewhere there has to be a balance where some freedom is ok to help with one end of the spectrum while not getting the other end completely out of whack.  The media seems to be ignoring one class of death because it isn't COVID-19 and that is all that matters.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, WestMichigan said:

Mental health and suicide hotlines are up over 900% since this started.  Where is the balance between every life we can save from COVID-19 is worth the pain versus we don't care about the other lives being lost to suicide.  Somewhere there has to be a balance where some freedom is ok to help with one end of the spectrum while not getting the other end completely out of whack.  The media seems to be ignoring one class of death because it isn't COVID-19 and that is all that matters.

I think we are pretty well screwed at this point.  Even as things start opening up again, a lot of businesses aren't going to survive this. 

2 hours ago, WestMichigan said:

Do you have some sourcing on those numbers?

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, RyanDe680 said:

I'm not sure what that has to do with it?  No other country is influencing our reporting data.  You're saying that China is light years behind us in terms of reporting or understanding data?  Any ocean front property in Arizona for sale that I can buy?

I’m not sure what you’re saying. You endorsed the concept of international collaboration, and then seemed to retract the endorsement based on some sort of lack of transparency / failure of good faith in data exchange on the part of the CPC rationale.

I was saying a benefit of international collaboration is that instead of having to rely on carefully vetted official statements you instead have many hundreds of people in different countries who are now professional colleagues and sometimes friends and they can just send each other an email. 

As a result at least one influential epidemiology and public health figure in the USA says he was given a heads up to start paying attention to the atypical pneumonia in Wuhan, on December 15.  Because a colleague in China sent him an email.

On the other hand, the first group of people to begin public discussion of the emerging C-19 epidemic in English is probably the community of beautiful nerds at FluTrackers.com who heard about it from Weibo and WeChat, and I think got onto it before ProMed-Mail, on 30 December.

I’m reading their original thread now, its incredible, like reading the Hurricane Sandy thread in the archives

24 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

At least 890 of the 2200 employees at the Tyson plant in Logansport, IN have tested positive. 

https://www.wishtv.com/news/nearly-900-at-tyson-foods-plant-test-positive-for-coronavirus/

We have 99 confirmed at ours, with 2 deaths.  That's with only 2 counties reporting, there's about 3 other counties with workers that haven't reported.

Tomorrow is the last day of the current stay at home order in Indiana.  Normally we hear about it getting extended a few days in advance and Holcomb has been acting pretty coy about it, so signs seem to be pointing toward some kind of relaxation being announced tomorrow.  Just how much of a relaxation is the question.  Indianapolis mayor extended the city's stay at home until May 15, so we may be at the point where certain cities/areas of the state will have more restrictions than others.

On 4/29/2020 at 8:00 PM, Hoosier said:

The percent of the total population that has died in Sweden (not talking deaths divided by confirmed cases) is actually running higher than the US.  I don't know if I'd call them the model.  One thing mentioned in there was the long term care facilities.  That has been an epic disaster in many countries.  Very sad. 

Comparison attempts at this point would be like calling the final score in the bottom of the 1st. Could take a decade to unravel all the nonsense numbers from the real numbers and at least take a stab at the incidental deaths caused by the lock-down/shut-down orders. Not to mention life-long scars due to increased child/spousal abuse during this scare. Those won't be tallied ofc since they aren't deaths, but they're severe perhaps even disabling side-effects nonetheless. 

7 hours ago, WestMichigan said:

I saw this outside of Lowell this afternoon.

Kudos to these Peeps!

Other side reads: "I AM ESSENTIAL"

20200430 I AM ESSENTIAL.jpg

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Hoosier said:

At least 890 of the 2200 employees at the Tyson plant in Logansport, IN have tested positive. 

https://www.wishtv.com/news/nearly-900-at-tyson-foods-plant-test-positive-for-coronavirus/

Yeah, public health emergency declared in all of Cass County because of this.  Really making the news down here.  Wondering what Gov. Holcomb will say Friday on his update regarding either extension of stay at home or limited reopening.   And Simon had planned to reopen their malls on a limited basis starting this weekend.

9 hours ago, WestMichigan said:

I’d imagine bringing home the disease and severely sickening/killing vulnerable loved ones would also drive up suicidal ideation, not to mention hospital staff dealing with an unending influx of patients, like this ER doctor in NYC.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/ncna1195656

• Sad 1

Guest ovweather

130 million people worldwide estimated to die of starvation because of the global consequences of social restrictions and the decline in the economy because of the response to Covid. Of course most of these starvations won’t happen in the rich countries of the world. Social distancing saves lives in the short term, but in the long term the lose of life could be much greater. Damned if you do, damned if you don’t.

Summary of Gov Holcomb news conference.  I guess the May 15 stay at home order for Indianapolis would supersede this.

• Holcomb said reopening will happen in five stages, with the goal of having the state “back on track” by July 4. He cautioned that the plan is subject to change.

• Stage 1 is the phase we have been in since mid-March. This phase included  essential manufacturing, construction, infrastructure, government, business and other critical operations will remaining open. Schools remain closed.

• Stage 2 will begin on Monday, May 4 for most counties. Marion and Lake Counties will begin Stage 2 on May 11. Cass County will start Stage 2 on May 18. The stage includes: Those 65 and older or high-risk should remain at home as much as possible. Social gatherings can increase to 25 people. Restaurants can open at 50% capacity starting May 11. Essential travel restrictions will be lifted. Remaining manufacturers that were not considered essential will be able to open. Retail and commercial businesses will open at 50% capacity.

• Restaurants and bars that serve food may open starting May 11 at 50% capacity, but bar seating will remain closed.

• Personal services such as hair salons and tattoo parlors can begin to open May 11 by appointment only and must follow social distancing guidelines.

• Those who work in office settings are encouraged to work remotely whenever possible.

• Starting May 8, for all counties, Indiana worship services may convene. Indoor services are limited to 10 people are fewer. Those 65 and older are asked to stay home.

https://amp.indystar.com/amp/3060909001

^I am concerned that it is opening a bit too much too quickly, but hopefully it works out relatively ok.  Based on what we have seen in Georgia so far, restaurants are generally not getting a lot of dine-in customers so far, so there seems to be some amount of self-regulation on behavior.  

1 minute ago, Hoosier said:

^I am concerned that it is opening a bit too much too quickly, but hopefully it works out relatively ok.  Based on what we have seen in Georgia so far, restaurants are generally not getting a lot of dine-in customers so far, so there seems to be some amount of self-regulation on behavior.  

I agree.  I expected some opening up, this was a little more than I expected.  As he said, if things start to go south they may re-instate some of the current restrictions.  I'd like to see specific guidelines that could cause that reaction.  The one thing I did not see that I think deviates from the federal guidelines is for every stage the federal guidelines said continued 14 day drop in new cases.  The Governor stated they expect to see an increase in cases as they move through the opening over the next 4 weeks.  I find that a bit discerning.  Hopefully the new order will address some of these things specifically.  If the responsibility is being pushed more to individual citizens, if there is a sudden spike statewide in cases, IMO it's going to be very hard for the state to reimpose restrictions.  The public will react like 10 year old let out of the corner, does the same bad thing, then gets a spanking.  

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, Jackstraw said:

I agree.  I expected some opening up, this was a little more than I expected.  As he said, if things start to go south they may re-instate some of the current restrictions.  I'd like to see specific guidelines that could cause that reaction.  The one thing I did not see that I think deviates from the federal guidelines is for every stage the federal guidelines said continued 14 day drop in new cases.  The Governor stated they expect to see an increase in cases as they move through the opening over the next 4 weeks.  I find that a bit discerning.  Hopefully the new order will address some of these things specifically.  If the responsibility is being pushed more to individual citizens, if there is a sudden spike statewide in cases, IMO it's going to be very hard for the state to reimpose restrictions.  The public will react like 10 year old let out of the corner, does the same bad thing, then gets a spanking.  

Also concerned about the multi-week period of significant differences in restrictions between Illinois and Indiana (since the Illinois stay at home goes until the end of May), especially for areas up and down the IL/IN border and in particular for Lake county Indiana since we have Cook county next door.  Granted we already get a lot of Illinois people coming across the border for gas and other things (there have been times when I have seen more Illinois plates than Indiana plates at gas stations just inside the Indiana border lol) but now we will have a situation where stores and malls that have been closed for several weeks will be open in Indiana but not in Illinois.  

I'll tell ya one thing.  Have done take out and drive through while all this has been going on, but you couldn't pay me to dine inside at a restaurant for the foreseeable future.  No thanks. 

• Like 1

Guest ovweather

Has Indiana even seen much of a drop in cases the past few weeks? Is all this gradual reopening in midwest states simply a result of political and public pressure and not an actual significant decline in cases?

Here in KY, things are set to slowly reopen starting May 11th, but everyone must wear a face mask in public. Right now, face masks are not required in grocery stores or whatever else is open (Walmart, Lowe’s, etc). Seems kind of backwards to start mandating face masks two months after all this started.

I think we’re entering a new stage where everyone is going to have to assess their own personal risks and do what they are comfortable doing without their being too many government restrictions in place. Many will still practice social distancing, some will not. But according to researchers, the virus will be with us another 18-24 months until enough herd immunity is built and / or a vaccine is available on a widespread basis. Going to be a “fun” and interesting ride for a while.

34 minutes ago, ovweather said:

Has Indiana even seen much of a drop in cases the past few weeks? Is all this gradual reopening in midwest states simply a result of political and public pressure and not an actual significant decline in cases?

Here in KY, things are set to slowly reopen starting May 11th, but everyone must wear a face mask in public. Right now, face masks are not required in grocery stores or whatever else is open (Walmart, Lowe’s, etc). Seems kind of backwards to start mandating face masks two months after all this started.

I think we’re entering a new stage where everyone is going to have to assess their own personal risks and do what they are comfortable doing without their being too many government restrictions in place. Many will still practice social distancing, some will not. But according to researchers, the virus will be with us another 18-24 months until enough herd immunity is built and / or a vaccine is available on a widespread basis. Going to be a “fun” and interesting ride for a while.

The ventilator and hospital readiness has trended better, but the percentage of positive test results has not really gone down and the number of cases is not on a consistent downward trend.

• Sad 1

14 minutes ago, RyanDe680 said:

Meanwhile, IL reports the most cases in the country today....

Wisconsin's positive test percentage is back in double digits as well :yikes:  Wouldn't surprise me if a large contributor to that was the poor way the protestors handled their business in a mob-like scene as opposed to Connecticut for example where they stayed largely in their cars.

1 hour ago, wisconsinwx said:

Wisconsin's positive test percentage is back in double digits as well :yikes:  Wouldn't surprise me if a large contributor to that was the poor way the protestors handled their business in a mob-like scene as opposed to Connecticut for example where they stayed largely in their cars.

Or maybe it is the numbers piling up from that election that wasn't postponed...

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Stebo said:

Or maybe it is the numbers piling up from that election that wasn't postponed...

It’s mostly still the meat packing plant outbreaks in Green Bay but there were a lot of new cases in Milwaukee and Kenosha counties as well

1 hour ago, Stebo said:

That was four weeks ago, so I doubt it.  They were a bit circumstantial, so I think the protests had more of a negative impact than the elections since the numbers were stable if not a decrease in rate for the couple weeks leading up to this one. 

Didn't realize the meat packing plant outbreaks were largely a factor in the numbers from the last couple days.