Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Coronavirus

Chicago Storm

5 minutes ago, WestMichigan said:

What is up with all the name calling in here.  Anyone who doesn't agree with the stay at home order is a moron, idiot, <insert derogatory name here>.  We can disagree buy why all the name calling?

the only person that's been called a moron and idiot in the last 5 pages is the governor of Florida.  I don't see any other name calling recently and everyone seems civil.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, josh_4184 said:

Anyone else paying attention to Crude today, what a dumpster fire for the oil industry. US crude hitting -$40 per barrel? Not easy to turn the tap off so to speak. Hard to fathom the long term economic implications COVID-19 is going to have on the world. 

I bought BP.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, josh_4184 said:

Anyone else paying attention to Crude today, what a dumpster fire for the oil industry. US crude hitting -$40 per barrel? Not easy to turn the tap off so to speak. Hard to fathom the long term economic implications COVID-19 is going to have on the world. 

The media will jump on this story...  that is for a futures contract expiring tomorrow.  It's basically saying that in 2 days, the value of oil won't be any higher than it was last week.  If you look at crude oil, it's still in the $20s - granted that is still low, but the -$40 per barrel is just a ridiculous nonsense price .

• Thanks 1

Georgia is going to start opening up.  

It is a mathematical certainty that cases are going to start to increase after some period of time of being open.  You just want to keep it manageable as it is not acceptable to let it get to the point where even 1 person is turned away from getting treatment at a hospital.  The testing issue is still a real concern though because it may be harder to see hotspots coming.  I'm sure there will be a significant percentage of people who still won't go out much... sort of a self-imposed stay at home which would help keep the numbers lower than they would be compared to if everyone started living like they did in January.

6 hours ago, RyanDe680 said:

The media will jump on this story...  that is for a futures contract expiring tomorrow.  It's basically saying that in 2 days, the value of oil won't be any higher than it was last week.  If you look at crude oil, it's still in the $20s - granted that is still low, but the -$40 per barrel is just a ridiculous nonsense price .

Yea I saw May, June, July and so forth are all over $2, will be curious to see what June's contract actually subtle down to beginning tomorrow. 

40 minutes ago, michsnowfreak said:

I'm very curious to see what Whitmers next update for Michigan will be. With April 30 just 9 days away, usually she will announce the next step several days in advance, or at least hint at it.

Michigan is definitely on the downward swing with new confirmed cases (sufficient testing?) and deaths. If trends continue I do see Whitmer pulling back some of these restrictions. 

• Like 2

A friend sent along this NYT letter which talks about happy hypoxics, and boy this excerpt really is “a day in the life”

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/20/opinion/coronavirus-testing-pneumonia.html

During my recent time at Bellevue, though, almost all the E.R. patients had Covid pneumonia. Within the first hour of my first shift I inserted breathing tubes into two patients.

Even patients without respiratory complaints had Covid pneumonia. The patient stabbed in the shoulder, whom we X-rayed because we worried he had a collapsed lung, actually had Covid pneumonia.

2 minutes ago, mob1 said:

Very bad day for MI unfortunately with 232 new deaths reported, I wonder if it's due to a lag in weekend reporting. I think there's an increase pretty much everywhere every Tuesday and Wednesday. 

I'd say the weekend is definitely a factor.  Looking at weekly numbers instead of daily may be a better way of evaluating trends.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Dipping in to the Illinois news conference and they are suggesting the Illinois peak may not be until mid May.  That's not good.

I find that hard to believe.  No one is of course forthcoming on what 'models' these are based on but again, I can't understand why if we have been in lockdown for over 5 weeks now, thats 35 days.  If this spreads for 14 days, whats going on with the continued rise in cases if we are 21 days past this.  It has to be more than families passing it around.  Hell, I have just been FaceTiming people.

Illinois just needs to up the testing.  Chicago is the 3rd biggest city in the country, yet we are behind Texas and Florida in testing?

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, mob1 said:

Very bad day for MI unfortunately with 232 new deaths reported, I wonder if it's due to a lag in weekend reporting. I think there's an increase pretty much everywhere every Tuesday and Wednesday. 

So far today, the country is tracking below yesterday, which was below Sunday as well.

9 hours ago, josh_4184 said:

Michigan is definitely on the downward swing with new confirmed cases (sufficient testing?) and deaths. If trends continue I do see Whitmer pulling back some of these restrictions. 

My thought is pulling back on some recreational things, with work opening up closer to May 15th or after Memorial Day.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Stebo said:

My thought is pulling back on some recreational things, with work opening up closer to May 15th or after Memorial Day.

I agree but also think she might go a little farther.  Don't think it will be anywhere near a free for all but I suspect there will be limited things open up such a landscaping, nurseries/greenhouses, workers who are solo or maybe teams but not large groups.  Just my thoughts.  I guess we will see in a little over a week.

Just now, WestMichigan said:

I agree but also think she might go a little farther.  Don't think it will be anywhere near a free for all but I suspect there will be limited things open up such a landscaping, nurseries/greenhouses, workers who are solo or maybe teams but not large groups.  Just my thoughts.  I guess we will see in a little over a week.

Yeah that would fall under those I would think open.

4 hours ago, Stebo said:

I think a relaxing of outdoors type of events should be feasible, would be nice if my campground would be open, also boating, golfing. As others have said perhaps opening up some stores on a very cautious social distance. 

We were going the right direction regarding new cases and deaths until today. Deaths shot way up and cases also increased from previous day although they did change how they are reporting deaths now. 

Just now, josh_4184 said:

I think a relaxing of outdoors type of events should be feasible, would be nice if my campground would be open, also boating, golfing. As others have said perhaps opening up some stores on a very cautious social distance. 

We were going the right direction regarding new cases and deaths until today. Deaths shot way up and cases also increased from previous day although they did change how they are reporting deaths now. 

Camping/boating/golfing yes but still with social distancing. As for the spiking that is typical for a Tuesday as the weekend has been undercounted. What need to do is take Saturday to Tuesday and divide by 4 to get a more real estimate.

I think Holcombe here in Indiana has been doing a pretty good job.    Indiana is one of the few states in the country that is bordered by 4 other states , not just a small border like say GA and TN for example,  but extensive borders.  Indiana shares very large borders with the 4 surrounding states.  I would argue the largest borders combined with other states than any other state in the country.  "Cross roads of America".  What Indiana's neighbors do, and just as important to Indiana's neighbors, what we do, can have a huge impact on each.  It could be argued that how Indiana moves forward could have a greater impact to this region as opposed how one of the 4 bordering states move forward, at least when it comes to the number of people affected.  I'm glad that this region is working together on moving forward.  Holcombe could very well hold this region hostage.  If he would pull a Kemp the number of people that could possibly be adversely affected would be much larger than Indiana.  I think he really is listening to the Governors that surround Indiana whose states have been hit much harder than Indiana.  From hearing him speak at his conference calls I get the feeling of such a thing as "State social distancing".  A single state that shares like 100-200 miles of borders with 4 surrounding states, decisions by all of those states need to be very closely coordinated, partisanship aside.  I think Holcombe understands that and is letting that, and more importantly, has been letting the science guide his decisions moving forward.  He's not perfect, nobody is in this time.  But, compared to other Republican Governors in the country I don't think he's towing the "behind the scenes" line being touted by the federal "leadership".  We shall see come Monday how this Governor, and the Governors of the 4 surrounding states move forward.  I am glad of one thing, better Holcombe than Pence right now.

• Like 1

Yeah I agree.  Overall my politics are not in line with Holcomb's but I think he has done about as well as you can do in this situation given the circumstances.  He was among the first R governors to close things down.  When we do start to relax, I hope it's not the Georgia route. That seems like too much too fast. 

• Like 1