Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Coronavirus

Chicago Storm

13 hours ago, DAWGNKITTEN said:

They need to recall her!  I am a caregiver for a disabled vet and help with his elderly parents.  We all grow gardens.  Imagine my surprise going in today and found I couldn't buy anything!  Yesterday I could buy seeds and various vegetable plants, but no hoses, potting soil, etc.  Thank goodness for the cashier who said, "So fire me.  Am I supposed to remember all 20,000 items we can't sell?". Why is she shutting down garden centers?  This is how we survive out here.

Necessities are necessities are necessities. The less people going to stores looking for non-essentials, the less people this’ll spread to. Imagine if just one person with COVID, who only wanted to buy garden supplies and wouldn’t have been at the store otherwise, spread it to you, only for you to spread it to the disabled vet you’re caring for and his elderly parents.

Gardens can be re-planted, dead people can’t be revived. 

• Like 4

Been working from home since April 2nd, but still been going in once a week for a couple of hours for stuff I can't do from home. No face to face with consumers just telephone contact. Pretty much everyone including me were given laptops so we can connect remotely to EMR system and email. Glad I live in town with good broadband. 

6 hours ago, outflow said:

The old state of emergency and shelter in place order ended today but she needed the state legislature approval before getting to extend it. They gave her through the end of the month bur she wanted 70 more days. Some people feel this has led to the crackdown on many activities, almost her telling everyone since i didnt get what i wanted im not letting anyone get what they want. 

It really has stirred up alot of people, caused a lot of confusion, and overall just adds to the current horrible atmosphere the state is in right now

On tuesday there is an actual protest planned at the capital over the new orders. Protest and social distancing dont go hand n hand so i dont see it ending well if people go through with it

If we went 70 more days, business bankruptcies would be through the roof. We would need a MASSIVE business bailout.

My business has been cashing in so I personally can't complain.

2 hours ago, Stebo said:

Protest over what though, no one is planting anything yet, it is April 12th. The grass just now turned green here so a couple a weeks wait on mowing is no big deal, and no one is opening a cottage in the 2nd week of April either. It is just a vocal minority that is complaining because they are being told not to do something, the vast majority in this state would love to bear down these last 3 weeks so we don't have to for 7 more weeks on top.

I agree Stebo, it’s still early in the season even though I have cut my grass already and will be again today but realistically I could have probably waited a week or two. I would really have liked to be able to go up to our cabin this weekend, only the second time in the past 16 years we’re not spending Easter weekend up there, we have a bunch of yard work that needs to be done up there but it can wait. I’ll gladly continue to hunker down for a few more weeks if it means we’ll recover sooner from this and allow everyone to get back to their normal lives quicker.

3 hours ago, Stebo said:

Protest over what though, no one is planting anything yet, it is April 12th. The grass just now turned green here so a couple a weeks wait on mowing is no big deal, and no one is opening a cottage in the 2nd week of April either. It is just a vocal minority that is complaining because they are being told not to do something, the vast majority in this state would love to bear down these last 3 weeks so we don't have to for 7 more weeks on top.

Exactly. Who's planting anything in the middle of April lol? Just people wanting to complain, probably the same people that complained that she waited 2 days too long to shut us down in the 1st place

40 minutes ago, michsnowfreak said:

Exactly. Who's planting anything in the middle of April lol? Just people wanting to complain, probably the same people that complained that she waited 2 days too long to shut us down in the 1st place

I guess driving to the gas station to purchase lottery tickets, totally essential.   Can't go buy paint but you can go to the pot shop. It's just silly.

Also... a lot of people in colder areas indoor garden and greenhouse grow and the time for that is now.  

39 minutes ago, weatherbo said:

I guess driving to the gas station to purchase lottery tickets, totally essential.   Can't go buy paint but you can go to the pot shop. It's just silly.

Also... a lot of people in colder areas indoor garden and greenhouse grow and the time for that is now.  

There are people who rely on medicinal marijuana to ease their suffering, and these “pot shops” provide curbside and delivery just as restaurants do. 

The lottery tickets on the other hand should be done online and last I knew this was being looked into.

28 minutes ago, RobertSul said:

There are people who rely on medicinal marijuana to ease their suffering, and these “pot shops” provide curbside and delivery just as restaurants do. 

The lottery tickets on the other hand should be done online and last I knew this was being looked into.

I'm not arguing the validity of the lockdown or social distancing measures, I've been out two times in a month.  It's just the list of essential/nonessential seems arbitrary to me.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, roardog said:

I’m all for non essential businesses and outings being closed. So, let’s then have all non essential businesses and outings actually closed. Lottery essential? lol. Liquor stores essential? Even bigger lol. Do we really even need fast food drive thru open? 

Alcohol Withdrawl can be a serious and even life-threatening acute disorder, definitely not something you want tens of thousands of people going through at the same time, which would then lead to an additional strain on our hospitals.

The lottery provides funding for our schools and should be moved to online. 

Fast food drive-through is a quick, easy, cheap, efficient way to provide food for people who don’t have cooking at home as an option, especially those working extremely long shifts at hospitals, first-responders, etc.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, RobertSul said:

Alcohol Withdrawl can be a serious and even life-threatening acute disorder, definitely not something you want tens of thousands of people going through at the same time, which would then lead to an additional strain on our hospitals.

Fast food drive-through is a quick, easy, cheap, efficient way to provide food for people who don’t have cooking at home as an option, especially those working extremely long shifts at hospitals, first-responders, etc.

yeah unfortunately fast food is one of the only options for lower income people who are working extended hours during this time, and agreed on alcohol withdrawal.  I don't think people realize how many americans are physically dependent on alcohol

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, RobertSul said:

Fast fast drive-through is a quick, easy, cheap, efficient way to provide food for people, especially those who are working extremely long shifts at hospitals, first-responders, etc.

Alcohol withdrawal can be serious but so can getting the low paid cashier at the store infected with Covid-19 from the customer that couldn’t go without his whiskey since a liquor store is essential. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, roardog said:

Alcohol withdrawal can be serious but so can getting the low paid cashier at the store infected with Covid-19 from the customer that couldn’t go without his whiskey since a liquor store is essential. 

You’re right, that’s also a really bad result. When comparing the crappy elements in both cases, it’s the lesser of two evils and hopefully more liquor stores will end up delivering, if they don’t already.

On 4/6/2020 at 6:42 PM, Chicago Storm said:

11,256 cases and 274 deaths as of yesterday.

Slightly bigger increase to 12,262 cases and 307 deaths in IL today.

Seems to be a steady rise each day, but nothing exponential per say...

Tue: 13,549 cases and and 380 deaths total. (+1,287 & +73)

Wed: 15,078 cases and 462 deaths total. (+1,529 & +82)

Thur: 16,422 cases and 528 deaths total. (+1,344 & +66)

Fri: 17,887 cases and 596 deaths total. (+1,465 & +68)

Sat: 19,180 cases and 677 deaths total. (+1,293 & +81)

8 hours ago, RobertSul said:

Necessities are necessities are necessities. The less people going to stores looking for non-essentials, the less people this’ll spread to. Imagine if just one person with COVID, who only wanted to buy garden supplies and wouldn’t have been at the store otherwise, spread it to you, only for you to spread it to the disabled vet you’re caring for and his elderly parents.

Gardens can be re-planted, dead people can’t be revived. 

I totally understand what you say.  My problem is we plant now, have every year, in our greenhouse.  I was called Saturday to come in and get what they had for me that finally came in m for the Disabled Vet I care for.  I saw all the plants and seeds and no sign, no nothing to say I couldn't get it.  I wasn't told that I couldn't get it from the manager who was standing right there, but from the cashier.  The tomato, strawberry, broccoli, and seeds we needed are all a no.  When this is where we get our food from it is a real worry!

5 hours ago, weatherbo said:

Drug stores sell seeds same with grocery stores and this should all still open around May 1st. I doubt people are going to gas stations specifically for lotto and I view marijuana as medical which drug stores are open.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, roardog said:

I’m all for non essential businesses and outings being closed. So, let’s then have all non essential businesses and outings actually closed. Lottery essential? lol. Liquor stores essential? Even bigger lol. Do we really even need fast food drive thru open? 

I trust restaurants and fast food more than the grocery store right now. Interaction with people is very limited with restaurants and this isn't a foodborne virus. Do you trust the hundreds of people in a grocery store not having Corona? There were 4 cases of Kroger workers who died in the past week in the metro area.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, roardog said:

In some towns the liquor store/corner market is their only option especially in rural places. Let's not attach liquor sales to the spread of the virus. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RobertSul said:

You’re right, that’s also a really bad result. When comparing the crappy elements in both cases, it’s the lesser of two evils and hopefully more liquor stores will end up delivering, if they don’t already.

There have been some that are doing curbside pickups which is good.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, DAWGNKITTEN said:

I totally understand what you say.  My problem is we plant now, have every year, in our greenhouse.  I was called Saturday to come in and get what they had for me that finally came in m for the Disabled Vet I care for.  I saw all the plants and seeds and no sign, no nothing to say I couldn't get it.  I wasn't told that I couldn't get it from the manager who was standing right there, but from the cashier.  The tomato, strawberry, broccoli, and seeds we needed are all a no.  When this is where we get our food from it is a real worry!

If possible try other places. That place just sounds like they are misinterpreting the order.

• Weenie 1

Actually reading more into the seed ban, if it is completely universal state wide, that is kind of stupid. A lot of people I know who start from seed growing do so this time of year. I will say the greenhouses should be fine for buying plants in May, minimal grow time will be lost in that case.

4 minutes ago, Stebo said:

Actually reading more into the seed ban, if it is completely universal state wide, that is kind of stupid. A lot of people I know who start from seed growing do so this time of year. I will say the greenhouses should be fine for buying plants in May, minimal grow time will be lost in that case.

Yes, very stupid.  I hope they open the greenhouses back up in May.  

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Stebo said:

But it is ok for someone from out of state to go to a cabin/cottage they own in Michigan?  Or it is OK for 6 road workers to be standing in a circle shoulder to shoulder talking about something while working to repair the roads?  The rules only apply to those the governor wants them to and there are clearly some who do not fall under the rules like the rest of us.

• Weenie 1

Italy's lockdown was extended to May 3, and the US is generally running behind them in terms of the progression of the virus.  Obviously it's a different situation in this country with the governors having the say.  I think May (at least a good part of it) is probably going to look a lot like April as far as what is going to be open/closed, especially in the harder hit states. 

• Sad 2

2 hours ago, WestMichigan said:

But it is ok for someone from out of state to go to a cabin/cottage they own in Michigan?  Or it is OK for 6 road workers to be standing in a circle shoulder to shoulder talking about something while working to repair the roads?  The rules only apply to those the governor wants them to and there are clearly some who do not fall under the rules like the rest of us.

Both of those I would adjust or eliminate, you are expecting it to be perfect, politics is far from it but don't let perfect be the enemy of better. This is unprecedented shit and outside of a few things she had done as good of job as many other governors in this country. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Stebo said:

I trust restaurants and fast food more than the grocery store right now. Interaction with people is very limited with restaurants and this isn't a foodborne virus. Do you trust the hundreds of people in a grocery store not having Corona? There were 4 cases of Kroger workers who died in the past week in the metro area.

Been getting groceries delivered to minimize the risk along with door dash delivery once a week for morale

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Cary67 said:

Been getting groceries delivered to minimize the risk along with door dash delivery once a week for morale

Yeah and if you clean your groceries (what a saying to say), then you should be fine. I am just worried about being in the store with a lot of people and people tend to pick stuff up and put it back on shelves which concerns me as well.

12 hours ago, Stebo said:

Both of those I would adjust or eliminate, you are expecting it to be perfect, politics is far from it but don't let perfect be the enemy of better. This is unprecedented shit and outside of a few things she had done as good of job as many other governors in this country. 

I am not expecting perfection, just common sense.  If the government can keep working then why can't everyone else?  Oh wait, they aren't essential, but when my neighbor loses his job and can't feed his family tell me that isn't essential to him.  Who gets to decide?  Oh wait, it is those in power and they generally hurt others long before they feel any pain themselves.  When is the governor going to say I will take a pay cut or no salary?  When are the Lt. Governor or state representatives and senators or a myriad of other people in higher places going to stand with the common folk and live by the same rules and restrictions.  How many press conferences do you see people standing closer than 6 feet?  Or the mayor of Chicago getting a hair cut while everyone else can't, or ...  the list could go on.  Be reasonable, have equal rules for all and apply some common sense and I think there would be a lot less complaining among the citizens.

• Like 2
  • Weenie 1