• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Coronavirus

Chicago Storm

55 newly confirmed deaths in Indiana since yesterday.  

As of today, all private labs in the state have to report negative test results and not just the positive ones.  It had been optional for the private labs and there's probably no way to know how many negative test results weren't reported.

6 hours ago, janetjanet998 said:

Here is the model the WH likes to use

https://covid19.healthdata.org/united-states-of-america

60,000 deaths .....down from 120K

the issue I see with it is that the slope may be too steep after the peak with decreasing deaths per day

plus no deaths after June 15th and only 60 total June 1-14

you can see this error in Italy ...which served as some of the original data input for the model

https://covid19.healthdata.org/italy

Italy projection for 4-9 was 384  actual 570 (plus almost 4000 new cases...)

new update in

corrected some what the errors I talked about , peak too high but slope after peak decline too steep

added about 1400 more deaths 61,545

but Italy update slope will be way way off still
https://covid19.healthdata.org/italy

City of Gary, IN has been releasing death and infection numbers (one of the only towns in Lake county to do so I think) and based on what they have provided, they have a disproportionately high number of cases and fatalities compared to the rest of the county.  It can be dangerous to make assumptions but with Gary being 85% African American, we can make a good guess about which segment of the community is being hit the most.  Unfortunately African Americans are being disproportionately affected by this virus as they are in other ways. It's just on a much bigger scale in large urban centers like Chicago and Detroit. 

Recall petitions are flying left and right in michigan today against govener whitmer after continuing the stay at home order and adding to it that people are no longer allowed to use any boats that are powered by a motor. Also all stores have to close off non essential merchandise areas til the end of April. This includes greenhouse and graden center which has many people upset about not able to get garden plants

• Weenie 1

2 hours ago, Hoosier said:

City of Gary, IN has been releasing death and infection numbers (one of the only towns in Lake county to do so I think) and based on what they have provided, they have a disproportionately high number of cases and fatalities compared to the rest of the county.  It can be dangerous to make assumptions but with Gary being 85% African American, we can make a good guess about which segment of the community is being hit the most.  Unfortunately African Americans are being disproportionately affected by this virus as they are in other ways. It's just on a much bigger scale in large urban centers like Chicago and Detroit. 

I think it has to do a lot more with high density of people. The rest of Wayne County has just as bad of numbers as the city.

53 minutes ago, Stebo said:

I think it has to do a lot more with high density of people. The rest of Wayne County has just as bad of numbers as the city.

Population density is a huge factor, no doubt about it.  I don't have a link but I caught some of the chatter on tv about how blacks are dying at a disproportionate rate from this virus compared to whites (in areas that have released a racial breakdown of deaths).  I think Michigan was one of the places mentioned as far as the racial disparity.  

It would be interesting to see a comparison of rural white death rate compared to rural black death rate, because that takes population density out of the picture.   The area to get plentiful data on that would probably be in the south since rural black is more common than in the north. 

Just now, Hoosier said:

Population density is a huge factor, no doubt about it.  I don't have a link but I caught some of the chatter on tv about how blacks are dying at a disproportionate rate from this virus compared to whites (in areas that have released a racial breakdown of deaths).  I think Michigan was one of the places mentioned as far as the racial disparity.  

It would be interesting to see a comparison of rural white death rate compared to rural black death rate, because that takes population density out of the picture.   The area to get plentiful data on that would probably be in the south since rural black is more common than in the north. 

Could be part because of economics though too, the black people in Detroit are quite severely depressed economically.

1 hour ago, Stebo said:

Could be part because of economics though too, the black people in Detroit are quite severely depressed economically.

Yes as with anything when it comes to healthcare in this country, 2 years down the road from now when the true numbers come out the demographic most prone to this virus are going to be poor with little or no access to quality healthcare.  Trying to stay non political but we really are the only "wealthy" country left in the world where access to healthcare depends on your wallet.  The pundits can say what they want, this is exposing the nightmare and inequality of healthcare in this country, from the top down.  Not to mention the gutting of federal funds to the states for healthcare infrastructure over the last 40 years.  To be the leader of democracy in the world, think our pants just got pulled down.   

• Like 7

Without going into Socioeconomic aspects and the multiple  types of Healthcare systems, Covid 19 is particularly problematic for those with poorly controlled DM especially when coupled with Cardiovascular disease and or Obesity.  Many diseases affect different racial/ethnicities at different rates. Prayers to all those battling on the front lines of this pandemic and everyone affected. 

9 hours ago, Stebo said:

Impoverished people are less likely to have consistent access to things we take for granted like sanitizing wipes (If you could only afford them or necessities like food on any given day you’d go with the food), are more likely to work in fast food/convenience stores/grocers where they’re underpaid and are in constant contact with the general public, rely more heavily on public transportation, have less access to amenities in the house so boredom would invariably draw them outside, and poorer nutrition which leads to hypertension/diabetes. 

That’s on top of limited access to healthcare. It’s really disheartening and one can certainly see how all these factors combine to form these tragic numbers. As the most powerful (economically and militarily) country in the world, we really should be doing better.

Capitalism is great and has given us a bevy of inventions and luxuries, but runaway capitalism without checks and balances, where the ceiling expands at a seemingly exponential rate while the floor essentially stays the same, is very problematic. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Hoosier said:

State health commissioner now says there have been 24 deaths at that nursing home.  

Madison county coroner posted 2 large refrigerated walk in coolers they acquired to handle storage of the deceased last week.  May sound drastic but it is a mostly rural county except for Anderson.  They normally can only handle 6-10 at a time.

On 4/4/2020 at 11:30 AM, Hoosier said:

Would be interesting to see a county by county breakdown of essential businesses and how many people are still required to physically show up to work.  My uncle works at a large, well known one here in northwest IN and they have a few cases there now.  Went from 1 case to 3 cases.  

Well now there are 15 cases where my uncle works.  He showed up to work at 6 am today and they wouldn't let anybody in the building until a cleaning crew comes to disinfect.  So my uncle had to sit in his car until his shift ended at 2 pm.  Wasn't allowed to leave.   :arrowhead:

20 hours ago, outflow said:

Recall petitions are flying left and right in michigan today against govener whitmer after continuing the stay at home order and adding to it that people are no longer allowed to use any boats that are powered by a motor. Also all stores have to close off non essential merchandise areas til the end of April. This includes greenhouse and graden center which has many people upset about not able to get garden plants

They need to recall her!  I am a caregiver for a disabled vet and help with his elderly parents.  We all grow gardens.  Imagine my surprise going in today and found I couldn't buy anything!  Yesterday I could buy seeds and various vegetable plants, but no hoses, potting soil, etc.  Thank goodness for the cashier who said, "So fire me.  Am I supposed to remember all 20,000 items we can't sell?". Why is she shutting down garden centers?  This is how we survive out here.

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

The Indiana State Department of Health has confirmed what many African-Americans have suspected and feared for weeks: Blacks in the state appear to be contracting and dying of the novel coronavirus at a much higher rate than the general population, following a trend in some other states.

Despite African-Americans making up 9.8% of the state’s population, they make up 18.5% of positive cases and 19.2% of the state’s 300 deaths. In Indianapolis, the city’s black population is 28.9%.

Whites – who make up 85.1% of the population – make up 50% of positive cases and 69% of deaths.

The race of 19.1% of positive cases and 7.3% of deaths remain unknown, per the state data provided Friday.

https://www.southbendtribune.com/news/local/indiana-releases-demographic-data-on-coronavirus-cases/article_5638bb26-7c04-11ea-a8c7-93baee7db2c3.html

29 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

The Indiana State Department of Health has confirmed what many African-Americans have suspected and feared for weeks: Blacks in the state appear to be contracting and dying of the novel coronavirus at a much higher rate than the general population, following a trend in some other states.

Despite African-Americans making up 9.8% of the state’s population, they make up 18.5% of positive cases and 19.2% of the state’s 300 deaths. In Indianapolis, the city’s black population is 28.9%.

Whites – who make up 85.1% of the population – make up 50% of positive cases and 69% of deaths.

The race of 19.1% of positive cases and 7.3% of deaths remain unknown, per the state data provided Friday.

https://www.southbendtribune.com/news/local/indiana-releases-demographic-data-on-coronavirus-cases/article_5638bb26-7c04-11ea-a8c7-93baee7db2c3.html

Might be related to the fact that COVID-19 strikes areas with concentrated population, such as urban areas, harder.  Per the stats referenced in your  post, Indy has a black pop. of 28.9%.  Hence the higher numbers.

The rural south has a large black population.  Are the numbers there similar to the urban areas in the big cities?  There are some counties in southern IN that took off like a rocket, but they were also some of the poorest counties in the state, Franklin, Decatur for example.  They also don't have a very large black or even hispanic population.  I understand deep crowded urban cities.  My fear is making this virus racial instead of socio economic.  We've already seen backlash towards Asian Americans over this, hell even in my small town the one chinese restaurant closed because of threats when all they've ever done is carry out, which is permitted.  We need to be very careful throwing the race card around and focus on, what I believe, the real issue, it's money and healthcare access.   

Edit:  Folks, millionaires are getting tested whenever they want.  There are Dr.'s out there that will test you for 600-1000 bucks.  If there's not something wrong with that, well make your own decision.  The fact that the capitalistic mindset is still ruling the day in a time when the society that gives it it's privilege is being deprived is just criminal IMHO.  

• Like 3

6 hours ago, DAWGNKITTEN said:

They need to recall her!  I am a caregiver for a disabled vet and help with his elderly parents.  We all grow gardens.  Imagine my surprise going in today and found I couldn't buy anything!  Yesterday I could buy seeds and various vegetable plants, but no hoses, potting soil, etc.  Thank goodness for the cashier who said, "So fire me.  Am I supposed to remember all 20,000 items we can't sell?". Why is she shutting down garden centers?  This is how we survive out here.

Yikes, I just read the list of everything she is banning, including yard work in general :yikes:  Sounds like a bit of a power trip.  I understand Michigan is not a great trajectory, but the populace will be none too happy, and I'm guessing come next election they may voice accordingly.

• Weenie 1

Thats an amazing yet sad story, probably one of many.  The biggest take away is just how contagious this virus is.  It's amazing science how quickly the genome of this virus was sequenced.  It's amazing science that we learned how closely it's related to past viruses.  What's not understood yet about this virus is why is it so contagious.  What part of it's genome makes it so sneaky that it only makes some people sick and others not.  Those not to the point they aren't even sick yet they are contagious.  To me this is the scary part of this thing.  

I'm quite surprised about an antibody test when at the same time it's not known if someone can be reinfected.  Has that been proven yet?  Can we become immune?  What good is an antibody test if in fact you can be reinfected?  Odds are once infected and recovered there's immunity built up.  If this is an antibody test then it must be known within the medical circles that people become immune.  Why hasn't that been expressed?  I'm a bit puzzled.

Edit:@Hoosiers post about the woman who never left for 3 weeks

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, wisconsinwx said:

Yikes, I just read the list of everything she is banning, including yard work in general :yikes:  Sounds like a bit of a power trip.  I understand Michigan is not a great trajectory, but the populace will be none too happy, and I'm guessing come next election they may voice accordingly.

The old state of emergency and shelter in place order ended today but she needed the state legislature approval before getting to extend it. They gave her through the end of the month bur she wanted 70 more days. Some people feel this has led to the crackdown on many activities, almost her telling everyone since i didnt get what i wanted im not letting anyone get what they want. 

It really has stirred up alot of people, caused a lot of confusion, and overall just adds to the current horrible atmosphere the state is in right now

On tuesday there is an actual protest planned at the capital over the new orders. Protest and social distancing dont go hand n hand so i dont see it ending well if people go through with it

• Weenie 2

4 hours ago, outflow said:

The old state of emergency and shelter in place order ended today but she needed the state legislature approval before getting to extend it. They gave her through the end of the month bur she wanted 70 more days. Some people feel this has led to the crackdown on many activities, almost her telling everyone since i didnt get what i wanted im not letting anyone get what they want. 

It really has stirred up alot of people, caused a lot of confusion, and overall just adds to the current horrible atmosphere the state is in right now

On tuesday there is an actual protest planned at the capital over the new orders. Protest and social distancing dont go hand n hand so i dont see it ending well if people go through with it

Protest over what though, no one is planting anything yet, it is April 12th. The grass just now turned green here so a couple a weeks wait on mowing is no big deal, and no one is opening a cottage in the 2nd week of April either. It is just a vocal minority that is complaining because they are being told not to do something, the vast majority in this state would love to bear down these last 3 weeks so we don't have to for 7 more weeks on top.

• Like 4
  • Weenie 1