Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
Coronavirus

Chicago Storm

43 minutes ago, buckeye said:

I know Indiana is waiting for a positive covid test before listing that as cause of death. 

I have seen a weird argument being floated around that if somebody has covid-19 along with underlying conditions, then covid-19 wasn't really the thing that killed them and the death shouldn't be classified as such.  Once somebody tests positive, I have no problem with that being listed as cause of death (unless they were hit by a car or something), even if they have a bunch of underlying conditions that played a role.  You can live for years or even decades with some underlying conditions with covid-19 being the thing to push you over the edge.   

• Like 1

@Hoosier

WaPo had an article about this just today

https://www.washingtonpost.com/investigations/coronavirus-death-toll-americans-are-almost-certainly-dying-of-covid-19-but-being-left-out-of-the-official-count/2020/04/05/71d67982-747e-11ea-87da-77a8136c1a6d_story.html

Coronavirus death toll: Americans are almost certainly dying of covid-19 but being left out of the official count

59AA61F2-0EBD-4D79-A32D-E8F27CFDEC29.thumb.jpeg.96f9d633bc52cdc5e299096e6811b303.jpeg

What a world. We debate how someone should be classified in death, and just point fingers as to who's to blame versus pulling together and hoping this ends sooner rather than later and with less pain and sorrow for our fellow people. We really need a lot of folks to reexamine what's important starting with turning off your local and national news media outlets, and twitter pundits and focus on friends,family, and community. Bottom line, whether it's the virus itself or the residual damage we are all in for a very tough time. Time to take stock of what's important.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

British pm has been sick with the virus for a week and a half and now admitted to the hospital for "tests."  What are they testing for at this point?

https://mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUSKBN21N0VI

He was on the news yesterday.  He wasn't coughing much but he seemed kind of haggard.

Hoping for the best for him.

44 minutes ago, Baum said:

What a world. We debate how someone should be classified in death

I mean, its not just something that only became relevant for the ‘rona, mortality and injury data is also fundamental to public health policy nationally and internationally, for doing demographic and actuarial research, for IDing patterns of domestic abuse & child abuse, for understanding social inequality, for workplace safety & health, to understand emerging health concerns, and so on. my wife tells me its also not so simple to do a good job assessing a cause of death & that its an art and a science worth studying

edit also, sad to say, its important to law enforcement generally and also for tracking elder abuse

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, sokolow said:

I mean, its not just something that only became relevant for the ‘rona, mortality and injury data is also fundamental to public health policy nationally and internationally, for doing demographic and actuarial research, for IDing patterns of domestic abuse & child abuse, for understanding social inequality, for workplace safety & health, to understand emerging health concerns, and so on. my wife tells me its also not so simple to do a good job assessing a cause of death & that its an art and a science worth studying

I was referring more to the fact it's being politicized. I have no doubt there is a lot that goes into it on a professional level.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Baum said:

What a world. We debate how someone should be classified in death, and just point fingers as to who's to blame versus pulling together and hoping this ends sooner rather than later and with less pain and sorrow for our fellow people. We really need a lot of folks to reexamine what's important starting with turning off your local and national news media outlets, and twitter pundits and focus on friends,family, and community. Bottom line, whether it's the virus itself or the residual damage we are all in for a very tough time. Time to take stock of what's important.

Damn... I thought this would at least get a weenie from Alek. Back to watching Ozark.

Church around here held service today and got busted

https://www.nwitimes.com/news/local/crime-and-courts/police-ticket-church-leaders-after-they-refuse-to-disperse-sunday-service-of-more-than-30/article_9d26619f-955b-5a69-b87b-f47d01effb38.html#tracking-source=home-trending

I imagine there will be more of this next weekend.  Would not be surprised to see a bit of a spike in cases later this month, tied back to gatherings on the religious holidays. 

1 hour ago, Baum said:

I was referring more to the fact it's being politicized. I have no doubt there is a lot that goes into it on a professional level.

It’s been political since the industrial revolution, or for a more specific starting point since the radium girls and since  SoL Frances Perkins hulked out hardcore about silicosis in wake of the protracted horror of the Gauley Bridge miner’s disaster. Because in many cases it invokes a proper regulatory question.  I suppose the best way to look at it is, “it is automatically political, how can we make it productively political”

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Hoosier said:

https://www.nwitimes.com/news/local/crime-and-courts/police-ticket-church-leaders-after-they-refuse-to-disperse-sunday-service-of-more-than-30/article_9d26619f-955b-5a69-b87b-f47d01effb38.html#tracking-source=home-trending

I imagine there will be more of this next weekend.  Would not be surprised to see a bit of a spike in cases later this month, tied back to gatherings on the religious holidays. 

The church leadership wants that donation money BIG TIME.

2 hours ago, Hoosier said:

Very sad to hear of this practice and theology.  Our church has followed the governor's orders and halted public worship.  We communicate with e mail including my sermons each week since we do not have live streaming and a fairly elderly congregation.  We are United Methodist, and John Wesley's three simple rules were,  First, do no harm.  Do good, And stay in love with God.  You can't be a witness when you are harming your neighbors by exposing them to a potentially deadly virus.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Indystorm said:

Very sad to hear of this practice and theology.  Our church has followed the governor's orders and halted public worship.  We communicate with e mail including my sermons each week since we do not have live streaming and a fairly elderly congregation.  We are United Methodist, and John Wesley's three simple rules were,  First, do no harm.  Do good, And stay in love with God.  You can't be a witness when you are harming your neighbors by exposing them to a potentially deadly virus.

Good job, sir.  

You'd probably know better than me but I think Holcomb's order carved out an exemption for places of worship, provided they adhere to the recommended crowd/social distance guidelines.  Of course that would be difficult for most places to accomplish unless the congregation is very, very small.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Good job, sir.  

You'd probably know better than me but I think Holcomb's order carved out an exemption for places of worship, provided they adhere to the recommended crowd/social distance guidelines.  Of course that would be difficult for most places to accomplish unless the congregation is very, very small.  

I think the guidelines are ten or less.  We have even dispensed with board meetings for this period.  I have a varied background.  My major on my bachelor's degree from I.U. decades ago was public health education with a minor in earth science, and I eventually got training in theology and became a minister.  Go figure.

4 hours ago, Baum said:

Damn... I thought this would at least get a weenie from Alek. Back to watching Ozark.

Alek has giving up on us.   Congrats.  Trump 2020..   Sham Country.  RIP,  Wisc if we don't stop the April 7th vote.      

• Sad 1
  • Weenie 1

Well, the IHME model updated.  There is good news and bad news.  The good news is that it dropped the total US deaths to a bit over 80k (was like 93k on previous update).  The bad news is that the peak day is really ugly.  But more *potentially* good news... notice that enormous range on peak day.  Maybe things break favorably.  

Screenshot_20200405-231118.thumb.png.a2774427ef7077c3a633ebca3c777cb6.png

8 hours ago, Hoosier said:

Well, the IHME model updated.  There is good news and bad news.  The good news is that it dropped the total US deaths to a bit over 80k (was like 93k on previous update).  The bad news is that the peak day is really ugly.  But more *potentially* good news... notice that enormous range on peak day.  Maybe things break favorably.  

Screenshot_20200405-231118.thumb.png.a2774427ef7077c3a633ebca3c777cb6.png

Well at least we are close to the peak. Looks like things will get much better very soon, maybe even by late April.

My two cents here, but they need to really ramp up mask production and require it for going out in public. Then May 1st we re-open everything with better PPE for ALL Americans.  The social distancing measures seem like they have done well, but we cannot keep our economy shut down past this month or the cure is going to be worse than the virus.  I don't think people realize we're going to be in a legitimate economic depression when this is over, but how long is lasts is going to be the difference.

• Like 4
  • Weenie 1

4 minutes ago, snowstormcanuck said:

Not that it's a walk in a rose garden now, but it looks like the worst is over for Italy.

Yep. And arent we like a week or two vehund Italy ? If so the worst should be over for us soon.

21 minutes ago, Snownado said:

Yep. And arent we like a week or two vehund Italy ? If so the worst should be over for us soon.

Week or two is a good guess for when the absolute worst should be on the whole for the nation.  There will likely be areas regionally/locally that lag behind that timeframe.  How we behave as we flatten the curve in various areas will be very important.  Already reports of crowds gathering in Manhattan per a member who is a NYC cop. 

• Sad 1

An estimated additional 180 - 195 deaths per day occurring at home in New York City due to COVID-19 are not being counted in the official figures. "Early on in this crisis we were able to swab people who died at home, and thus got a coronavirus reading. But those days are long gone. We simply don't have the testing capacity for the large numbers dying at home. Now only those few who had a test confirmation *before* dying are marked as victims of coronavirus on their death certificate. This almost certainly means we are undercounting the total number of victims of this pandemic," said Mark Levine, Chair of New York City Council health committee [source]
  [source]