• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
Coronavirus

Chicago Storm

I posted before about some of things I'm doing.  I admit, I am in a very rural area compared to most on this board.  But if you're getting the heebeegeebees of staying at home you can get in your car and take a ride, just ride around.  You don't have to get out.  If you can get away from a city center and get on a country road somewhere do it.  Pull over get out and set on your hood.  You're not going to get sick, or more importantly make someone else sick out in the middle of nowhere.  This forum is in the middle of farm country.  Trust me we've been doing it.  Had some friends from Indy come up today, we met them them half way in our cars, found a country road and had a picnic, some beers, a nice little social meeting with social distance on a gravel road with friends.  I understand something like that might be more difficult in big cities like Chicago.  I've worked in Chicago and you can take a drive and get to someplace like that in an hour.  Youre in your car, youre not exposing or being exposed.  I'm serious cause over the next couple weeks, especially if you live in cities, you can get out of your house go find someplace where nobody's at get out of your car and enjoy some freedom.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hoosier said:

Went on a quick errand and while traffic was down quite a bit compared to a typical Saturday evening, there were probably still more cars than there should've been.

I could see someone just getting out in the car and blasting The Clash or Luke Bryan just to blow off some steam ....or The Cars.....

• Haha 2

25 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

That's so sad.  What sucks is compared to other disasters this one makes it difficult for neighbors to be neighbors because nobody wants to possibly expose themselves.  Week 3 I'm telling ya. When you ask people to stay locked down it's week 3 when the edge really starts setting in.  With this it's even worse because the news is just going to get worse as soon as folks start getting edgie.  I can't say enough about just jumping in the car and taking off for a couple hours.  Don't have to get out just drive.  If you find a place I'm telling ya, get out set on the hood and chill.  Especially at night, go somewhere dark and stare at the sky when it's clear.  It's going to be crucial for a lot of people to just get away, there's plenty of room out there just gotta take a ride ad find it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jackstraw said:

I posted before about some of things I'm doing.  I admit, I am in a very rural area compared to most on this board.  But if you're getting the heebeegeebees of staying at home you can get in your car and take a ride, just ride around.  You don't have to get out.  If you can get away from a city center and get on a country road somewhere do it.  Pull over get out and set on your hood.  You're not going to get sick, or more importantly make someone else sick out in the middle of nowhere.  This forum is in the middle of farm country.  Trust me we've been doing it.  Had some friends from Indy come up today, we met them them half way in our cars, found a country road and had a picnic, some beers, a nice little social meeting with social distance on a gravel road with friends.  I understand something like that might be more difficult in big cities like Chicago.  I've worked in Chicago and you can take a drive and get to someplace like that in an hour.  Youre in your car, youre not exposing or being exposed.  I'm serious cause over the next couple weeks, especially if you live in cities, you can get out of your house go find someplace where nobody's at get out of your car and enjoy some freedom.

Good idea to help maintain one's mental health in all this since social distancing might be dragging on through May and not just the end of April.  Our Governor Holcomb has just said two weeks more for stay home advisory but he has already cancelled collective school meetings for the rest of the academic year, so I think his comment is just a way of softening the blow until the time comes to extend the shelter in place once again timewise.

56 minutes ago, Indystorm said:

Good idea to help maintain one's mental health in all this since social distancing might be dragging on through May and not just the end of April.  Our Governor Holcomb has just said two weeks more for stay home advisory but he has already cancelled collective school meetings for the rest of the academic year, so I think his comment is just a way of softening the blow until the time comes to extend the shelter in place once again timewise.

I agree and it will/should probably go through May like you said. I think it's going to be status quo until at least the the end of this month.  I do have a fear that as some states start to flatten the curve while others are entering the worst of their curves, what's going to happen?  I know we can't keep the economy semi shut down like it is forever, and trust me it's semi shutdown not completely. How are we going to deal with reopening the economy coming out of this?  States that can relax their restrictions first will have an economic advantage over those that can't. For that matter there's going to be a similar reaction worldwide.  Relaxing the social distancing rules in certain places could very well put us back into the same situation we're in.  There is a myriad of issues coming up in the next 90 days.  Sorry but this everyone for themselves approach this country has taken is going to do way more harm in the long run than any economic recession or depression in our history when we just say screw it we gotta keep the economy going let who dies die.

We are our worst enemy in a situation like this pandemic... having 50 states that can each do what they want when they want.  I really hope there is a well thought out strategy for when the time comes to start to ease up on restrictions, but am concerned there may not be due to what I said above.  

Gonna have to start out very slowly.  Even when things do start to open back up, there will probably be a sizeable part of the population that will be hesitant to go out much.  I can't imagine how long it will be until stadiums will be full of fans again.  Or normal visitation resuming at places like nursing homes.

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

What amazes me about Italy is northern Italy supposedly has one of the highest rated if not the best medical systems in Europe.  They have a median age of I think 49.  Southern Italy has not been hit nearly as hard, is much poorer a median age of like 55 and the medical infrastructure is nothing compared to northern Italy.  It's kind of the wild west of Italy.  Yet they've been running 50 to 60 % behind northern Italy in death rates so far.  The demographics of where this hit first and hard are going to be very interesting once it settles down in about a year.

Still don't understand why AL isn't being focused on.  According to the "official IHME" model they are going to get hammered.  I know I keep harping on it but next to NY that state is is deep crap.  The model is inputting their massive lack of hospitals to deal with it but it's getting worse.  They will be running a per capita death rate  3 times NY.  

I have a good friend from Chicago that relocated to Mobile for work 6 years ago.  He's taking his family back to Chicago this weekend because of this.  He works in epidemiology from a project management aspect and he's told me the medical officials down there are bracing for armageddon.   They are scared to death down there.  I fear you're going to hear AL as one of the largest tragedies that could've been prevented out of all of this.  It's very sad whats going on there and hopefully the medical professionals and the models are wrong.  

50 minutes ago, Jackstraw said:

Still don't understand why AL isn't being focused on.  According to the "official IHME" model they are going to get hammered.  I know I keep harping on it but next to NY that state is is deep crap.  The model is inputting their massive lack of hospitals to deal with it but it's getting worse.  They will be running a per capita death rate  3 times NY.  

I have a good friend from Chicago that relocated to Mobile for work 6 years ago.  He's taking his family back to Chicago this weekend because of this.  He works in epidemiology from a project management aspect and he's told me the medical officials down there are bracing for armageddon.   They are scared to death down there.  I fear you're going to hear AL as one of the largest tragedies that could've been prevented out of all of this.  It's very sad whats going on there and hopefully the medical professionals and the models are wrong.  

According to the new cases/new deaths sorted listing, Alabama ranks pretty low. I guess I don’t see why they’d be worse off than anywhere else at this moment.

B4DB917D-FFB9-4ABD-B071-E4B38AFB471F.jpeg

• Weenie 2

3 confirmed cases/patients at the hospital down the street. This per my neighbor who works in their IT dept. (from home now ofc)

I try to do my shopping in the county north of mine where there's only 5 cases and zero deaths. 

@Jackstraw

Yeah, the country drive is another good reason I shop "away" from my home town, it gets me out of the house a little longer, and offers a small sense of normalcy amidst this bad situation. 

27 minutes ago, Snownado said:

At some point youve just gotta roll the dice and hope and pray it doesn't get worse. Gotta open the economy back fairly soon. Hopefully that doesn't cause many more deaths.

What they’ll probably have to do and the only way to keep it contained at the point we do start opening up is require everyone who hasn’t been infected yet wear masks and hopefully there are antibody tests readily available and those who have already been infected and test negative would be the only ones who don’t need to wear masks.

• Weenie 1

12 hours ago, Jackstraw said:

There are a lot of nice huge parks around here, like little patches of rural up North in the middle of metropolitan area. Getting fresh air, despite allergy season starting, is not a bad idea.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Hoosier said:

We are our worst enemy in a situation like this pandemic... having 50 states that can each do what they want when they want.  I really hope there is a well thought out strategy for when the time comes to start to ease up on restrictions, but am concerned there may not be due to what I said above.  

Gonna have to start out very slowly.  Even when things do start to open back up, there will probably be a sizable part of the population that will be hesitant to go out much.  I can't imagine how long it will be until stadiums will be full of fans again.  Or normal visitation resuming at places like nursing homes.

:rolleyes: Can't wait to see all the boarded-up strip malls and shops on main street USA as brick-n-mortar is dealt a death blow. Most of 'em were living on borrowed time as it was.. 

• Sad 1

12 minutes ago, RogueWaves said:

:rolleyes: Can't wait to see all the boarded-up strip malls and shops on main street USA as brick-n-mortar is dealt a death blow. Most of 'em were living on borrowed time as it was.. 

Michigan in particular with its tourist driven economy could really face hard times.  I can't imagine the UP without the summer visitors.  There's 311, 000 people UP-wide, many businesses would fold pretty quick if people can't afford vacations and travel.  The ripple effect of this whole situation is still unknown, but business as usual is done. (imo)

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, weatherbo said:

Michigan in particular with its tourist driven economy could really face hard times.  I can't imagine the UP without the summer visitors.  There's 311, 000 people UP-wide, many businesses would fold pretty quick if people can't afford vacations and travel.  The ripple effect of this whole situation is still unknown, but business as usual is gone. (imo)

They announced the cancellation a couple of weeks ago but the Holland Tulip Festival will not happen this May.  That was a pretty big festival for the area.  

• Sad 1

Alot more discussion on the after affects and the economy today which is interesting. I saw this as a retweet on twitter, and I'll assume it is accurate which would be a positive:

The @IHME_UW model vs reality for New York State, April 5. The model is less accurate than ever. 69K beds projected, 16.5K actually needed; 12,346 ICU beds projected, 4376 needed. Even better (tho not for the model), overall bed count rose less than 600 statewide - less than 4%.

• Like 1

IHME was supposed to update the model yesterday but it still hasn't for some reason.

Haven't been paying much attention to the bed projections.  Unfortunately that model has been performing well with the number of deaths nationwide, so far.

1 hour ago, Baum said:

Alot more discussion on the after affects and the economy today which is interesting. I saw this as a retweet on twitter, and I'll assume it is accurate which would be a positive:

The @IHME_UW model vs reality for New York State, April 5. The model is less accurate than ever. 69K beds projected, 16.5K actually needed; 12,346 ICU beds projected, 4376 needed. Even better (tho not for the model), overall bed count rose less than 600 statewide - less than 4%.

Somehow, COVID's managed to kick Pneumonia to the curb..

Pneumonia death rate by year.PNG

3 hours ago, Baum said:

Hope it stays wrong

• Like 1

One thing I am wondering about the beds in NY.  Are they turning some people away who would normally be hospitalized during a time of lower demand... or maybe some people who would normally go to the hospital are trying to ride it out at home for as long as they can?  Wouldn't entirely explain that large of a gap in projected/actual but could be a factor.  Something doesn't make sense because they are still having hundreds of deaths per day in NY, generally in line with the model projection.  How could the bed numbers be so far off but the deaths not? 

26 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

One thing I am wondering about the beds in NY.  Are they turning some people away who would normally be hospitalized during a time of lower demand... or maybe some people who would normally go to the hospital are trying to ride it out at home for as long as they can?  Wouldn't entirely explain that large of a gap in projected/actual but could be a factor.  Something doesn't make sense because they are still having hundreds of deaths per day in NY, generally in line with the model projection.  How could the bed numbers be so far off but the deaths not? 

https://www.westernjournal.com/cdc-tells-hospitals-list-covid-cause-death-even-just-assuming-contributed/