• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Coronavirus

Chicago Storm

easy for me to say as I've followed this from as close to the start as anybody in the real world. and prepped weeks ahead  to not  having to ever leave the house .  we're ****ed as a nation. You have to do you and your loved ones...period....

• Sad 1
  • Weenie 1

1 minute ago, UMB WX said:

easy for me to say as I've followed this from the start.  we're ****ed as a nation. You have to do you and your loved ones...period....

Being cooped up indoors (I hope you have the windows open at least) with no exercise isn't the answer either.  If you're worried then wear a mask and increase the 6 foot rule in order to get some fresh air.

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, wisconsinwx said:

Being cooped up indoors (I hope you have the windows open at least) with no exercise isn't the answer either.  If you're worried then wear a mask and increase the 6 foot rule in order to get some fresh air.

this is what we're dealing with folks.. holy ****

• Weenie 2

1 hour ago, Hoosier said:

How have you guys changed your habits during this?  

I keep hand sanitizer in my car.  I always change my clothes right after coming home.  I disinfect my phone way more than I used to.  One thing I don't really do is wipe down groceries and other items so I guess I haven't reached a 10 out of 10 on the paranoia scale yet :lol:  

Yes, however with social distance thing I'm literally not going out in public. I did go to the grocery store last week with a turtleneck sweater pulled over my mouth lol, wearing gloves, and sanitizing the stuff when I brought it home. Other than that I'm going nowhere. Im fortunate to be able to work from home every day. I do always keep sanitizer my car anyway, but I'm not even driving anywhere now. I do tend wash my hands extra. When I need more groceries I plan to order online.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Minimizing your time going out is one thing, but no way I'm staying inside at all times for the next month (or probably longer).  I will start wearing a mask... if I can find any.  Otherwise will have to improvise.

Why would anybody have to stay inside all the time.  Nobody believes in that.  Just stay far away from human contact as possible. Too bad the economy was more important to this adim early on and STILL is. Good luck trying to find a mask btw.

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

I have a good friend who works in the lumber yard of the local Topp's hardware store.  He's 60 and has some compromising conditions, hypertension, diabetes a little overweight. He's getting really concerned.  He told me they have been busier than he's seen the place in the 5 years he's worked there.  Understandably everyone who is "staying at home" is taking advantage of the time to work on their property etc.  Mowing and garden season is starting.  What better time to do some projects than now.  

He' put a sign up asking people to stay in their car or truck so he can load it but management told him to take it down.  He said people get out walk up to him like nothing pointing to what particular boards or whatever they want.  He has brought his concerns of having to be in such close proximity to people to management who have pretty much ignored him. He's scared to death, can't lose his job but also doesn't want to get sick and maybe die because he's high risk either.  I'd imagine there's stories like this by the millions across the country.  We hear a lot about people helping people but not hearing a lot about situations like this (except front line medical/police/fire workers) where someone could be risking their lives because someone wants a 2x4 and won't stay away from you and the bosses basically tell you shut up do your job or your fired.  I dunno, sounds like a business taking advantage of profits over worker safety to me.  Wish OSHA still existed :facepalm:

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Still working 5-6 days a week, with over 2000 employees where I work.  There are personnel taking everyones temps upon arrival everyday, but fever may not show up until other symptoms arise, which would be too late.  I pretty much plan on getting it at some point over the next month or two.  If I don't that's great.  If so, hopefully I'll kick it's ass and move on.  Outside of work I just do my best to minimize exposure to others as much as possible.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, cyclone77 said:

Still working 5-6 days a week, with over 2000 employees where I work.  There are personnel taking everyones temps upon arrival everyday, but fever may not show up until other symptoms arise, which would be too late.  I pretty much plan on getting it at some point over the next month or two.  If I don't that's great.  If so, hopefully I'll kick it's ass and move on.  Outside of work I just do my best to minimize exposure to others as much as possible.

Man that sucks.  

I think the name of the game is to hold off getting it for as long as you can (maybe some good treatments as time goes by), without living completely paralyzed by the uncertainty.  Even though the odds are strongly, strongly in favor of younger and middle age adults surviving, there are enough stories of pretty severe illness out there among that group to get you thinking.

8 hours ago, Hoosier said:

Minimizing your time going out is one thing, but no way I'm staying inside at all times for the next month (or probably longer).  I will start wearing a mask... if I can find any.  Otherwise will have to improvise.

I will go outside for a walk in the neighborhood to get some fresh air, but that's about it. Maybe a park in the woods away from people. I took a walk during the March 22nd snowfall, you know snow can never keep me indoors lol. Since then I've taken a few walks as I love being outdoors however now a new component is here, allergy season. Obviously spring allergies starting are just an annoyance compared to the disaster that is covid19, but for my own sanity I don't want to aggravate any symptoms that are going to get me worrying lol.

8 hours ago, cyclone77 said:

Pretty much the same for me. As some of you may know, I'm a letter carrier for USPS. So yeah, we're essential. My office has gone above and beyond with trying to protect us, to the greatest extent you can doing the job we do. N95 masks, gloves, hand sanitizer, etc are readily available for all employees. Trucks are sanitized daily. Cases, where we do our inside morning work, are sanitized several times a day. Work room floor is bleached after we leave for the street. Sneeze guards have been installed at the front windows. I've read several stories of Post Offices not doing a lot to help their employees stay safe during these times, but just wanted to say my office is certainly not one of those. Probably helps that my post master is a verified germaphobe. :lol: 

As far as doing my daily job, I literally touch thousands of things a day...so the challenge is sorta daunting if you think about it. Most of us do the majority of our work outdoors (residential), so wearing a mask isn't really necessary (not a lot of human interaction). And even with the times we do have to come into "contact" with customers, we've taken different steps to protect us and them. I think the biggest thing I've been trying to do is refrain from touching my face. Amazing really how many times a day you do such a thing, lol. Basically, after I deliver a relay, I go back to the truck and sanitize my hands before doing the next relay. Wash, rinse and repeat all day. I've never been a germaphobe type, so this is definitely a different way of life for me these days lol. But, got to be smart about the situation.  

My GF works at one of the local hospitals, so we both have our challenges, to say the least. We aren't seeing our parents for the time being, other than doing grocery or medicine runs for them...and then dropping the stuff off at their homes on the porch. They're cool with that, as we've told them we just want them to stay healthy and safe...which both sets have done their best by staying home. Driving them nuts, but essentially required in these times. When we get home to our house, we don't burn our clothes or anything :P, but just change out. It's just us two and the dogs, so we try to be a little level headed, lol.  

Anyways, enough rambling. Just wanted to share my story. For those still working on the "front lines" at grocery stores, hospitals, factories etc etc...I thank you. Try to be safe, and we all hope we can get through this healthy in the end.  :D 

• Like 6

this turns out to be an excellent map of far it is to a grocery store
Good point. Those areas east of the Rockies are pretty socially isolated anyway and usually it's a pretty good drive to get anything. The SE is a bit worrying however.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, hoosierwx said:

Good point. Those areas east of the Rockies are pretty socially isolated anyway and usually it's a pretty good drive to get anything. The SE is a bit worrying however.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

I can’t immediately find to credit the person who did the quick overlay. i will try to.

but she pointed out the NYT movement map and the map of “limited transport / no market within a mile” standard about what social geographers & food security people call food deserts are strikingly similar.  no consideration in the travel headline of whats trying to be measured, same with the cell carrier data about driving graphic from last week

87041678-EBE7-4034-89DF-B7AD549762C2.jpeg.96f3d5e21c596cd7baf8649ab582da9b.jpeg

I guess this is how you know you did the right thing

Probably also thinking “thanks, was an honor etc, but would prefer you stay six feet apart and wipe down high touch surfaces“

Veterans have spoken out against the decision to relieve the captain of the U.S.S. Theodore Roosevelt after he sent a letter to the Navy pleading for help after his ship was stricken with the coronavirus.

https://www.newsweek.com/coronavirus-navy-ship-captain-brett-crozier-1495923

I can confirm that IND has a positive COVID case. IWX is providing service back-up through the weekend. So far so good here. Hopefully it stays that way. The way the agency is limiting our potential for exposure is by limiting people in the office to 2 people as much as possible, with main exception to that being severe weather. Everyone else is teleworking and we've developed remote capabilities so teleworkers can help the ops staff as needed. Last Saturday, we had someone doing mesoanalysis remotely.

Edit: just got word it wasn't a positive case but someone who is a high risk of testing positive because of exposure to a positive COVID case. That forecaster is on quarantine and those who were in contact with the forecaster are self quarantining. They are planning to open back up tomorrow.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Snownado said:

It would be a lot easier to stay inside if it was winter, but with the weather getting warmer I am getting out as much as possible. I might go to the mountains in TN to see my friend this weekend.

Lol basically as I said above, I spend alot of time outdoors in the Winter enjoying the snow. Spring is the season that I wish I could enjoy the outdoors but my allergies hate me. Normally it's something to deal with, but now every little throat scratch I would get I would be questioning relatedness to the plague.

Indiana death toll has surpassed 100.

Also disturbing.... how is this still happening at this point?  We need rapid result testing. 

"The department has said that the additional deaths it reports each day occurred over multiple days. Those deaths are reported once there is a confirmed positive test for COVID-19 in each case."

https://www.wlwt.com/amp/article/with-24-more-deaths-indiana-coronavirus-death-toll-tops-100/32031602

• Sad 2

Officials predicting 3-15k deaths here in Ontario based on current interventions (could have approached 100k with no action, which seems unfathomable as we only have 14 million people/almost 1% of the population would die).  Still sitting at less than 100 deaths thus far, so either we've got a long way to go or maybe things will turn out better than predicted.