• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Coronavirus

Chicago Storm

the Y-axis should be deaths per 10,000 people or something....98% of people are comparing raw numbers .....Italy has 1/5 the population of the USA

deaths per 1,000,000 people
Italy 218
Spain 201
UK  35
USA 15
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

Deaths per 10k population (or something similar) would be better, but I’m too lazy to do all of that...thus the easy total count.

The total count is still important too though.

6 minutes ago, Chicago Storm said:

Deaths per 10k population (or something similar) would be better, but I’m too lazy to do all of that...thus the easy total count.

The total count is still important too though.

I hear ya

if you have time a graph of IL, MI, OH would be cool for both cases and deaths since they are all pretty close in population and are in this sub forum :)

I saw one earlier on twitter and was going to post it here but can't find it....it shows the spike in IL and MO and the flat curve in OH

not sure what data set you are using but here is a good one ..it even has the total number of tests (state daily 4pm)

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/18oVRrHj3c183mHmq3m89_163yuYltLNlOmPerQ18E8w/htmlview?usp=sharing#

Ohio didn't really close stuff much earlier than the other states.  I think there are probably multiple reasons for why it hasn't been as bad there.  Cancelling the primary is likely a factor.

From the link I posted earlier today...

Screenshot_20200401-201540.thumb.png.298c34e06abf03f521c79b4ae8ca99cf.png

Screenshot_20200401-201502.thumb.png.8e9dc9275193e82f3366c1ddebbe7aa2.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, janetjanet998 said:

I hear ya

if you have time a graph of IL, MI, OH would be cool for both cases and deaths since they are all pretty close in population and are in this sub forum :)

I saw one earlier on twitter and was going to post it here but can't find it....it shows the spike in IL and MO and the flat curve in OH

not sure what data set you are using but here is a good one ..it even has the total number of tests (state daily 4pm)

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/18oVRrHj3c183mHmq3m89_163yuYltLNlOmPerQ18E8w/htmlview?usp=sharing#

I actually started working on some this evening with several states. If I don't post it tonight, I'll have it tomorrow.

Looking at the dates the states in the Great Lakes took certain actions shows how behind states here were by comparison.  NY and NJ shut bars, schools, and banned large gatherings around the same time the Great Lakes states did (and had orders of magnitude more cases  when they did, at least in NY)...I think our stay at home order in NJ came on the 21st, so slightly earlier.

• Like 1

The onslaught of fatalities and still less than ideal testing capacity has pushed the US confirmed case fatality rate up to near 2.5%.  No, it's almost certainly not the real fatality rate from this illness, but that percentage will keep going up unless we start testing at a much faster rate than we are now.

• Sad 2

who all do you think has the best data vis site? i actually think some of the weirdo projects have more intuitive portals than JHU or STAT or the FT (https://www.ft.com/coronavirus-latest) and the worldometer is fastest glance

https://coronavirus.1point3acres.com/en

its the county level data and testing tabs that i think are real helpful, tho i dunno, maybe the name brand institutional sites have better QA? 

Whether or not this has any thing to do with anything I found this about obesity estimates worldwide. I was surprised to see how many countries were running a 20% or higher obesity rate.  3/4ths of the landmass people occupy are running an obesity rate at 20% or higher.  South Korea jumped out with an obesity rate of 4.3%.  No science just a reference.

https://worldpopulationreview.com/countries/obesity-rates-by-country/

• Like 1

If you are interested in reporting lag and how it affects data presentation of e.g. things like the “epidemic curve” and whether the curve is flattening or not, here is an interesting thread using Ontario as a case study

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Chicago Storm said:

7,695 cases and 157 deaths in IL now.

Seem to be going back and forth between bigger and smaller jumps in case and death counts every other day.

10791 cases and 417 deaths in MI today.  Up 1457 and 80 respectively.  Not really slowing down any here.  Although it is slightly less than yesterday in terms of new cases.

43 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Why in the world is Wisconsin still planning on voting next Tuesday?

A lot of people already voted absentee but other than that, I’m not sure why.  Maybe they think it’s worth a calculated risk but I think they should postpone.  I was considering helping out my local site but had a change of heart today.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, UMB WX said:

Can't he just bypass the legislature?  In Ohio I think the public health commissioner (or whatever the title is) stepped in and basically said we're not having this election because of the public health hazard.  

• Like 1

I posted this in the Corona virus thread in the New England forum, like most of their threads, it's a very long one lol.

But it's worthwhile to post in here. Food for thought on areas that are not taking it seriously yet, one person mentioning West Michigan. Those areas where covid is still relatively sparse probably have that "it cant happen to me" mindset. They start taking it seriously when it becomes imminent, ie, when it's too late. Michigan's covid is very heavily concentrated in metro Detroit, but that's because about half of the state's 10 million people are clustered in Southeast Michigan. That does not mean that more rural areas should take it as a free pass, because it is still there, only in far lesser numbers, and they also have less medical facilities. 

I literally have not left my house, but from everything I'm seeing on social media, Southeast Michigan is taking it quite seriously for the most part. Metro Detroit freeways are wide open during rush hour.  Social media is inundated with real stories of this virus so it's pretty much impossible not to see it and take it seriously. Restaurants that are still open for take out are shipping food and treats to area hospitals, people are putting out white ribbons to support medical staff, etc.  The good of humanity is showing through as best as it can during the darkest times.

How have you guys changed your habits during this?  

I keep hand sanitizer in my car.  I always change my clothes right after coming home.  I disinfect my phone way more than I used to.  One thing I don't really do is wipe down groceries and other items so I guess I haven't reached a 10 out of 10 on the paranoia scale yet :lol:  

2 hours ago, Hoosier said:

Can't he just bypass the legislature?  In Ohio I think the public health commissioner (or whatever the title is) stepped in and basically said we're not having this election because of the public health hazard.  

you're smart enough to figure it out my man..  I'm outraged.  

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

1 hour ago, Hoosier said:

How have you guys changed your habits during this?  

I keep hand sanitizer in my car.  I always change my clothes right after coming home.  I disinfect my phone way more than I used to.  One thing I don't really do is wipe down groceries and other items so I guess I haven't reached a 10 out of 10 on the paranoia scale yet :lol:  

It only takes one mistake bro..   work on them groceries and never leaving the house if you can.

• Weenie 1