• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Coronavirus

Chicago Storm

Just found out yesterday a friend of mine is hospitalized with COVID-19. He's 39. We hung out a lot from 2014-early 2017. We haven't seen as much of each other since then for reasons that in retrospect seem kind of petty, although I did still go to some of his gigs (he's a musician here in the Madison area).

I'm not really a praying man, but really hoping with every fiber of my being that he pulls through. He also has a wife and daughter.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

10 hours ago, on_wx said:

It's not unrealistic. Toronto has canceled all events, including Pride, through June 30th 

I think there's a kernel of truth to what Trump said about the cure being worse than the disease, but only if these lock-down measures continue for months on end.

I'm hopeful we'll have descended the other side of the curse in May and, aside from larger events like Pride, some degree of normalcy in the economy will have resumed by the summer.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Snownado said:

With everyone on lockdown, where are these new cases coming from ? Maybe from people who were infected weeks ago before measures were put in place ?

That and, it's not feasible to enforce/follow a 100% lockdown in the U.S. Some people will continue to ignore it; but everyone still has to go out at least to get food/supplies/work if you still have it.

Cases in Dane County, WI (my friend among them) have been increasing at about 10-20 per day for the last few days. We were still just under 200 at last update. I don't know if that's because we just haven't hit the exponential growth yet, or if we've actually been relatively successful in keeping the spread in check (or if we haven't been testing enough). We did seem to get a bit of an earlier start on social-distancing measures than many other places in the state.

• Like 1

My cousin who is a nurse posted this on Facebook. Honestly, of course I'm getting antsy staying at home all the time, but staying home will eventually save lives.

"The look of sheer panic and fear in someone’s eyes as they’re struggling to breathe because of the fluid in their lungs is basically making them drown, makes my heart drop to the ****in pit of my stomach"

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, CheeselandSkies said:

That and, it's not feasible to enforce/follow a 100% lockdown in the U.S. Some people will continue to ignore it; but everyone still has to go out at least to get food/supplies/work if you still have it.

Cases in Dane County, WI (my friend among them) have been increasing at about 10-20 per day for the last few days. We were still just under 200 at last update. I don't know if that's because we just haven't hit the exponential growth yet, or if we've actually been relatively successful in keeping the spread in check (or if we haven't been testing enough). We did seem to get a bit of an earlier start on social-distancing measures than many other places in the state.

Another thing is that people who live together pass it on to each other, accounting for some percentage of new cases.  

4 hours ago, CheeselandSkies said:

I think that's right, along with (2) more testing and (3) health-care professionals still needing to work and then unfortunately spreading the virus back into the community or their families due to lack of PPE.  Just my thoughts...not saying they are 100% validated and tested.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

35 of the 42 new deaths in Illinois are in Cook county.  Yikes

Marion County (Indy) has 44% of all of the cases in Indiana. In fact, the only other counties in triple digits of cases are Johnson and Hamilton which are both suburbs of Indy and Lake which is next to Chicago. It's very obvious that social distancing makes the difference.

• Like 1

A few little things we've started doing lately since it's looking like at least another month if not 2...

When we need to go to the grocery or somewhere I try and go within the first 30 min they're open or the last 30 min before they close.  I've found that there are very few people in the stores during those times.  Also starting this week, us and a few friends of ours are going to start taking turns going for all of us limiting the amount of time each person needs to spend in stores and also sharing freezer space.  

Also got maters, cukes, peppers etc. started a couple weeks early indoors.  Tripled the amount of herbs started.  You'd be amazed what you can do even with Ramen noodles, with a bunch of fresh herbs.  I like to bake my own bread occasionally but have been doing a lot more of that also.  A full crusted loaf (not in a pan) can keep for a couple months on the shelf.  I've been cooking A LOT lately and also dropping meals at friends doors and vise versa.  The bigger the meal the more economical it is.

Last work contract ran out end of Feb. and won't be renewed for the foreseeable future so tightening the purse straps now.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, IWXwx said:

Marion County (Indy) has 44% of all of the cases in Indiana. In fact, the only other counties in triple digits of cases are Johnson and Hamilton which are both suburbs of Indy and Lake which is next to Chicago. It's very obvious that social distancing makes the difference.

For sure.  

The Cook county deaths jumped out at me.  2/3 of the total deaths in Illinois have been there so the percentage from today's update (35/42) is even higher.

Little ways out into the future but I am a bit concerned about what happens if Lake county IN were to open back up before Illinois does.  May have people spilling over the border to go to the beaches, etc.  

Man, this is hitting the travel industry like crazy; nearly half of our travel agent team was terminated today including myself (won't go into much detail, but worked for a relatively large travel company for almost 6 years).  There is no way around it, it's impacting every part of our life except the weather.

• Sad 2

40 minutes ago, wisconsinwx said:

Man, this is hitting the travel industry like crazy; nearly half of our travel agent team was terminated today including myself (won't go into much detail, but worked for a relatively large travel company for almost 6 years).  There is no way around it, it's impacting every part of our life except the weather.

Sorry to hear this. 

• Like 1

so far OH and been doing better then IL and MI

it could be that there isn't one HUGE population center (ie Chicago. Detroit) and therefor OH is less dense in any urban center(has more  metros rather then one huge one)

but OH also cancelled the primary and MI and IL did not

1 hour ago, wisconsinwx said:

It's impacting the weather too (or at least our ability to predict it). Read several articles that reduced aircraft observations may negatively impact model performance.

Just now, Chicago Storm said:

A graph I've been adding to, showing total fatalities in the hardest hit countries...

image.thumb.png.ced1e383f780498bf70c877ca1d83c03.png

the Y-axis should be deaths per 10,000 people or something....98% of people are comparing raw numbers .....Italy has 1/5 the population of the USA

deaths per 1,000,000 people

Italy 218

Spain 201

UK  35

USA 15

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

11 minutes ago, janetjanet998 said:

so far OH and been doing better then IL and MI

it could be that there isn't one HUGE population center (ie Chicago. Detroit) and therefor OH is less dense in any urban center(has more  metros rather then one huge one)

but OH also cancelled the primary and MI and IL did not

I think it has to do with our Governor closing everything down really quick more than anything else. He's wasn't messing around with this.

• Like 2