Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Coronavirus

Chicago Storm

4 minutes ago, snowstormcanuck said:

His posts are so conspicuous that it did cross my mind that it's a troll-job.

If trolling was the intent, good job RogueWaves.  I took the bait.

Big jump today in Ontario with 351 new cases. I work in construction and the rumor mill is ablaze right now with when/if we will be shut down. Some companies have suspended operations while others havent, creating scheduling nightmares. The essential services list actually muddied the waters instead of making it clearer.

Edit* Ill chime in on Rogue lol, hes clearly reading some website (or twitter) that is stating these as facts and he isnt looking for secondary sources to support any of these claims. 

11 minutes ago, weatherbo said:

Meh...I don't believe Rogue is racist.  Maybe I'm racist for not seeing he's racist. :rolleyes:

There have been some questionable posts, at best.

Here's a concept.  Don't give me a reason to think you (not you Bo) may be a bigot.

• Like 4

In other news, there was just a huge ****storm on another weather forum regarding the ethics of storm chasing against state stay-at-home-unless-essential orders (at least WI and IL both have one in place, don't know about IA) and following (or not) social distancing guidelines and other precautions while chasing. It seemed to be a relatively reasonable discussion until I logged on this morning and :facepalm::gun_bandana::jerry:.

I would like to once again thank the atmosphere for making Saturday an easy no-go for me the morning of, despite the proximity of a 15% hatch and the dearth of quality tornado setups in the region since 2/28/17, which I didn't chase because, well...it was February.

12 minutes ago, mississaugasnow said:

Big jump today in Ontario with 351 new cases. I work in construction and the rumor mill is ablaze right now with when/if we will be shut down. Some companies have suspended operations while others havent, creating scheduling nightmares. The essential services list actually muddied the waters instead of making it clearer.

Edit* Ill chime in on Rogue lol, hes clearly reading some website (or twitter) that is stating these as facts and he isnt looking for secondary sources to support any of these claims. 

Ford said the list is amendable but obviously there was some consideration into at least keeping a portion of the economy going.  I feel bad for you...my brother's in the same boat.  Back and forth with the truck drivers dropping off supplies, exchanging documents...it's a risk.

Meanwhile, white collar govt worker like myself is sitting on my ass getting paid.  There's definitely an inequity.

• Thanks 1

Now I'm not going to single out an entire race, but the article below is pretty messed up. This is a nation wide problem.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8163761/Chinese-markets-selling-bats.html

I believe this is more than a political issue. It's a societal issue which stems from old traditions that they've continued to carry on till this very day.They still haven't learned their lesson yet despite SARS and Corona. Strangely enough they're now blaming USA for deliberately bringing the virus to China which according to them, started in Italy. It really can't get much worse than that lol. 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, snowstormcanuck said:

Ford said the list is amendable but obviously there was some consideration into at least keeping a portion of the economy going.  I feel bad for you...my brother's in the same boat.  Back and forth with the truck drivers dropping off supplies, exchanging documents...it's a risk.

Meanwhile, white collar govt worker like myself is sitting on my ass getting paid.  There's definitely an inequity.

They've got the army ready to deploy in case the Federal Government issues a mandatory order for people to stay at home. There was a lot of people walking around ignoring social-distancing yesterday lol. Tbh, I think that order is necessary because some people are still taking this very lightly. 

I'm working from home till the end of April now. 

2 hours ago, RogueWaves said:

Not only does this hit males much worse, it's said that this is 600% more deadly for asian males! 

I believe the high death rate in asian males was attributed to the very high percentage of the male asian population who smoke cigarettes and had underlying respiratory issues. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Snowstorms said:

They've got the army ready to deploy in case the Federal Government issues a mandatory order for people to stay at home. There was a lot of people walking around ignoring social-distancing yesterday lol. Tbh, I think that order is necessary because some people are still taking this very lightly. 

I'm working from home till the end of April now. 

That's not how that works.  The army is on stand-by to help a province, upon request of the province, if it can no longer enforce its emergency orders or otherwise needs assistance.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, snowstormcanuck said:

It sucks, but I want to thank everyone that works in legit essential services. Doctors, nurses, to grocery store employees- gas stations attendants. I might have to deal with a couple individuals on sites but those people are the ones allowing us to have some sense of society during this. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, NEOH said:

I believe the high death rate in asian males was attributed to the very high percentage of the male asian population who smoke cigarettes and had underlying respiratory issues. 

A friend of mine used to work at an Asian grocery store about a decade ago. He used to tell me how much they all smoked. I think it was a pack a day or something close to that. 

3 minutes ago, snowstormcanuck said:

That's not how that works.  The army is on stand-by to help a province, upon request of the province, if it can no longer enforce its emergency orders or otherwise needs assistance.

Ohh, makes sense! Thanks for that. Do you think Ford needs to issue a mandatory stay at home order? 

Just now, Snowstorms said:

Ohh, makes sense! Thanks for that. Do you think Ford needs to issue a mandatory stay at home order? 

Basically, that's what we have right now, isn't it?  If you listen to Dr. Williams, who was just on CBC, one aspect of issuing these orders is compliance.  A lot of it self regulation of activities/behaviour.  If the measures become too draconian, they'll simply be ignored. 

And, frankly, unless I'm mistaken, even in Italy and Spain, people could still leave to attend essential work and get groceries. 

1 hour ago, weatherbo said:

I'd assume misinformation or even ignorance over racism in the case of Rogue.  I believe he is a good guy and that's all I'll say.

Racism is a symptom of misinformation and ignorance, so that's a given.  If he's a good guy, he should take the time to reflect on his posts because they definitely could be construed as being racist.

And, I'm not the PC police.  To me, I'll always welcome someone making a rational, evidence based statement or opinion, or citing a fact, even if it might be superficially offensive to the thin-skinned.  But those two posts of his were kind of :wacko2:

• Like 4

3 hours ago, snowstormcanuck said:

Is it RogueWaves is a racist?

Incorrect. A contemplator of conspiracies, maybe

3 hours ago, Stebo said:

Dude, he has gone out of his way to place blame or spin the problem toward a certain race or nationality, multiple times no less with no evidence.

Wasn't a "blame place". Plus, I've read/perused so many articles/links/tweets on COVID-19 the past few days I literally couldn't remember/find that particular article. (Shoulda figured someone would ask in here tho)

3 hours ago, mississaugasnow said:

You win the "astuteness award". Many sites have theories on how/why all this started, who's really behind it, what the "end game" is all about? Several good ones have been put forth, which makes getting to the bottom of it all the more difficult. I will say this much. There's always a "story behind the story". Did anyone know that Wuhan is the location of the only laboratory in China authorized and tasked with the study of all the deadliest known viruses (including samples of Ebola)? Some say COVID-19 may have been an accidental release from that lab due to lacks safety precautions. Others will tell you more like it was an "intentional accident". Others think maybe one or more rogue elements of our own government made it happen during/after the recent World Military Games hosted by Wuhan. IF indeed there's merit to the claim that it's 600% more harmful to Asian males the fact it started in China may connect some dots. Ofc, we'll likely never know the whole truth since this world is built on the exact opposite principle. Show me a govt that tells the "whole truth, nothing but the truth. so help you.." 

2 hours ago, Snowstorms said:

Now I'm not going to single out an entire race, but the article below is pretty messed up. This is a nation wide problem.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8163761/Chinese-markets-selling-bats.html

I believe this is more than a political issue. It's a societal issue which stems from old traditions that they've continued to carry on till this very day.They still haven't learned their lesson yet despite SARS and Corona. Strangely enough they're now blaming USA for deliberately bringing the virus to China which according to them, started in Italy. It really can't get much worse than that lol. 

:yikes: at that girl gnawing on that bat, even if it is dead! Never been a "fear factor" guy. Kinda weak in the stomach for that stuff. Never understood what some folks found appealing about fish eyes either? If I were in a real life, stranded out in nature starvation scenario, I'd prolly just expire versus eating grubs, worms, etc to make it.  

• Like 1

Got a call a "wellness" check call from my physician today.  Guess they have been pulling records of patients that can be high risk if infected and calling/checking for symptoms over the phone.  I was surprised by two things. 

The first is that I was considered high risk.  I am 57 with mild hypertension but I also have Lymes disease.  Don't believe what some in the medical circles say that Lymes disease can always be cured.   After a 6 week intensive antibiotic treatment I finally tested negative (I kept the tick and it tested positive).  I've had 3 outbreaks of the disease since then, test positive, then antibiotics till I test negative.  So it can lay dormant in your system.  So I guess due to my age and the Lymes disease I'm considered as a high risk as I have an immunosuppressive disease. (Even though it's only immunosuppressive during an outbreak)

The second was the fact my physician's office was being proactive doing this instead of waiting for patients to call in with symptoms.  My Dr. stated since it's going to be awhile for widespread testing his medical group decided it would be prudent to at least check in on their patients that would be considered high risk.  They have set up a page in their online portal and registered their high risk patients their so if you begin to feel ill you just go onto the portal, answer the questionnaire and the office will do a follow up call within 24 hours to do a remote assessment to see if you need to come to the office for further evaluation, treatment, and testing if available.  He said the wellness check calls will continue for high risk patients monthly until testing is available for everyone.  They are doing this on their own not from any official guidance.  I was very surprised by this.  Don't think it would be a bad idea if this was implemented at an official level.   And to be honest it does relieve a little underlying stress during this besides just kind of making you feel a little better that someone is looking out for you.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Angrysummons said:

Diseases coming out of Asia is older than the hills. Even behind "the iron curtain", the 1957 swine flu outbreak got out of mainland China and killed 70000 Americans. Responses to these diseases has gotten better. Covid19 is a bit more lethal than some, but not like the plague of Justian which put the final blow into the "pagans" or the Black Death which led to the scientific revolution(and takeover by the bankers of Indo-European culture via capital expansion).

Hmm. I never remember hearing about the great pandemic shut-down of '57. Only heard that they blamed the flop of the Edsel on an unfortunate timing with a recession that year. 

Just now, Hoosier said:

Cases showing up now in employees at the steel mills around here.  They are considered essential business though so they remain open.

My sister and her bf, who both work as RN's at a hospital in central Florida, both have symptoms and were told to "come in anyway, probably allergies".

50 minutes ago, weatherbo said:

My sister and her bf, who both work as RN's at a hospital in central Florida, both have symptoms and were told to "come in anyway, probably allergies".

If it was a cough and/or fever, how ill advised.  I understand if it was mainly runny nose and sneezing/congestion, which would be common allergy symptoms and not common with COVID-19.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, wisconsinwx said:

If it was a cough and/or fever, how ill advised.  I understand if it was mainly runny nose and sneezing/congestion, which would be common allergy symptoms and not common with COVID-19.

This overlapping with allergy season is going to cause some paranoia for sure.  

• Like 1

This model was put out by a group at University of Washington.  It assumes social distancing continuing throughout May.  Since we may not actually do that, the real curve may end up looking a bit different on the back side.

The low end scenario has around 40,000 US deaths by early August.  You can see the high end is over 140,000.  Again this is with social distancing continuing throughout the period and obviously assuming no effective therapeutic comes along in the meantime.  If we went completely back to life as normal then the numbers would be way uglier than this.

In the nearer term, the low end scenario still has 1,000+ deaths per day in the US from April 5-19.  

Screenshot_20200330-215811.thumb.png.77905a9af0a8753d6053ad121a1d2472.png

Screenshot_20200330-214021.thumb.png.df14c0f502f2492129d519a1615313ff.png

Cheers to you and your doctor, Jackstraw, for being proactive.  I am one of the seniors on this board and have my next wellness check in May following one in December.  Have been ok with no symptoms so far.  And Hoosier, I have found it is easier to get toilet paper at CVS than at my local IGA.

I've seen some models as low as 20k total and some as high as 500k total with current restrictions in place.  While I agree that modeling this pandemic is a great tool, the accuracy of this modeled data has yet to be seen.  More important than forecasting when this thing will peak is modeling the data of critical care needs to available resources in specific areas as we move forward.  That's the serious data in the short term that these models can provide to help get emergency supplies, personnel and equipment where it's needed before those areas get overwhelmed.  

Kinda surreal 30 days ago we were throwing around weather model projections for snow and now were moving into Covid19 model projections.  If anybody knows how to nit pick computer modeling it's weather nerds lol.

• Like 2

From ne forum

Great interview on CNBC, Dr. Gottlieb given hope that we will be out of this soon.. basic timing, which I think is spot on

April - Rough month

May - Transition (post peak)

June - Start to open things up again

July - August - Mostly back to normal but putting out hot spots and preparing for the fall

Fall 2020 - Likely see hot spots but we are ready and don't need to take drastic actions and also we have more therapies available.

• Like 2