Total Members
    Most Online
    ChicagoGuy
    Newest Member
    ChicagoGuy
Coronavirus

Chicago Storm

7 hours ago, RogueWaves said:

I'm not prejudice and wasn't talking about who is or isn't getting it. Got it now? My idea may or may not hold any merit but I am trying to figure out why this has shown up so heavily in Metro Detroit? Iran is near the top of the countries with the highest number of infected. Just a pure conjecture on my part that perhaps Peeps travelling from that region of the world unknowingly carried it to SEMI? Could also just be the amount of automotive industry related travelers to/from China as well. Just for discussionary purposes only. Maybe you or others have some better Intel?

I am not going to place the blame on any race or nationality with how this has spread or been concentrated in this country. Nearly every major city has it and in a great amount. Has nothing to do with Iran, it is pure conjecture to speculate that with no reasoning.

10 minutes ago, Stebo said:

I am not going to place the blame on any race or nationality with how this has spread or been concentrated in this country. Nearly every major city has it and in a great amount. Has nothing to do with Iran, it is pure conjecture to speculate that with no reasoning.

Agree with that.  I do think it would be useful to know if certain genetic traits or ethnicities make one more susceptible, and from what I understand there is ongoing research into that.  I am mostly Polish and Norwegian.  I checked their current case load/deaths and nothing really stands out.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hoosier said:

The plexiglass guards are popping up here too.  Haven't seen the tape yet. 

At my local caseys they have a tape line about 4’ away from the counter, the cashier asks you to put your items on the counter & step back behind the line. He/she then scans them and then tells you your total, steps back, and then you’re able to pay using only card. They’re not accepting cash at this time

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Agree with that.  I do think it would be useful to know if certain genetic traits or ethnicities make one more susceptible, and from what I understand there is ongoing research into that.  I am mostly Polish and Norwegian.  I checked their current case load/deaths and nothing really stands out.  

Maybe for medical reasoning sure but this seems pretty across the board impacting everyone.

48 minutes ago, Stebo said:

Maybe for medical reasoning sure but this seems pretty across the board impacting everyone.

Yes the ACE2 receptor in which this virus basically uses to initially invade the human body knows no race, every human being has it.  

The only thing genetically that could be involved is very subtle genetic differences in a persons immune response.  Those differences would be so subtle that they wouldn't be passed down through a specific inherited lineage.  More often than not environmental factors would play the biggest role in such a very subtle difference from person to person.  Something as subtle (yeah using that word a lot) as years of high stress can cause it, exposure to whatever, the things you eat, etc.

https://science.sciencemag.org/content/367/6485/1444

• Like 2

3 hours ago, snowstormcanuck said:

I'm gradually coming of the same mind.  Even shopping for groceries...it's inadvertent, but people get way too close.

Online shopping for everything.

I go once a week to get groceries but like you said, it's risky. 

That online grocery shopping has some risks too. What if the delivery person has symptoms or if the products have the virus on them. Now thats obviously stretching it but I've become cautious with everything now lol. 

211 new cases in ON today. No signs of it slowing down so far. 

Forgot to mention yesterday, I have 4 really sick dogs.  Took them to the vet friday and I guess there's a really nasty flu like dog virus going around.  The irony.  But if you have a dog not feeling well it's not Covid19.  But it is pretty nasty.  Don't think I've seen dogs this sick before. :(

Speaking of dogs you MN folks or anyone else here's a treat for the pandemic.....

https://www.busch.com/foster-a-dog-now.html

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Chicago Storm said:

4,596 cases and 65 deaths as of today in IL.

With trump pushing the social distancing guidelines out to the end of April, it is my assumption that pritzker keeps the state on lockdown for at least 2 additional weeks into mid-late April.

Will be interesting to see if that huge jump of 1,100 cases is an aberration or another datapoint on an exponential infection rate. If we are 1,500+ tomorrow, it wouldn’t surprise me to see additional shutdowns or restrictions of businesses that were previously allowed to open. 

14 hours ago, Jackstraw said:

A friend in Charleston told me at some stores they have tape spaced 6 feet apart at the checkouts and plexiglass "sneeze" guards between the cashier and the customer.  Maybe Nwohweather can confirm since he deserted us :P

Yeah at some places. Mostly though things are just getting wiped down constantly and our beaches are closed to non-residents. Other than that no one is really following these guidelines

13 hours ago, Snowstorms said:

I go once a week to get groceries but like you said, it's risky. 

That online grocery shopping has some risks too. What if the delivery person has symptoms or if the products have the virus on them. Now thats obviously stretching it but I've become cautious with everything now lol. 

211 new cases in ON today. No signs of it slowing down so far. 

From everything I've read, the risk posed by deliveries is very low, and almost non-existent if you practice basic hygiene (disposing of the packing, washing hands afterwards, etc).

Still rising and that's expected.  Just need to avoid the exponential growth.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

A good friend of mine from the gym has the Coronavirus. He is 25 and in incredible shape, travels all over the world hiking. He just sent me a video of him breathing and holy **** this is no joke. His grandma and his mom have it. His grandpa died a month ago from pneumonia (didn't get tested for the Corona)

Terrible.

You sort of have to look below the surface, but I think we may be seeing the early signs of the social distancing measures and closings having some effect in the US.  Maybe not everywhere in the country but the growth of new cases is more linear now in a number of places.  Do have to keep in mind that testing is still trying to catch up and we are going to go through a really rough period for a while so definitely no time to be spiking the football.

IN is releasing deaths by age group now.  This breakdown is similar to what we have seen elsewhere.  And have a disproportionately high percentage of men dying, also seen elsewhere.

positive-demographics.jpg.cccafa86d4e1b95800cf8143267710ea.jpg

death-demographics.jpg.287809cc04594bc5592116aa34b5e194.jpg

1 hour ago, BuffaloWeather said:

A good friend of mine from the gym has the Coronavirus. He is 25 and in incredible shape, travels all over the world hiking. He just sent me a video of him breathing and holy **** this is no joke. His grandma and his mom have it. His grandpa died a month ago from pneumonia (didn't get tested for the Corona)

Here in Marshall, H1N1 took the life of a very healthy 21 yr old son of local pastors. Former captain of our football team and in about as good of shape as one can be. Woke up one night feeling poorly so they went into the hospital. Was gone just 2 days later. How merciless these viruses can be!  

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

You sort of have to look below the surface, but I think we may be seeing the early signs of the social distancing measures and closings having some effect in the US.  Maybe not everywhere in the country but the growth of new cases is more linear now in a number of places.  Do have to keep in mind that testing is still trying to catch up and we are going to go through a really rough period for a while so definitely no time to be spiking the football.

IN is releasing deaths by age group now.  This breakdown is similar to what we have seen elsewhere.  And have a disproportionately high percentage of men dying, also seen elsewhere.

positive-demographics.jpg.cccafa86d4e1b95800cf8143267710ea.jpg

death-demographics.jpg.287809cc04594bc5592116aa34b5e194.jpg

Not only does this hit males much worse, it's said that this is 600% more deadly for asian males! 

• Confused 2
  • Weenie 1