Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Coronavirus

Chicago Storm

4 minutes ago, KeenerWx said:

Pretty interesting. 

Though, curious about the underlying datasets. Illinois looks a strange outlier on obesity - where MO & IN draw higher heat right up to the state line. Kansas also looks like it built a wall against diabetes, even though obesity seems to be quite prevalent. 

Yeah, I don't know.  Just got it quickly from google images.

In any case, the deep South is ******, made worse by the fact that a number of those states don't have heavier restrictions in place at this time.

5 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Yeah, I don't know.  Just got it quickly from google images.

In any case, the deep South is ******, made worse by the fact that a number of those states don't have heavier restrictions in place at this time.

Yeah, unfortunately colocating a lot of risk & impact parameters down in the South. :(

SmartSelect_20200326-144633_Chrome.thumb.jpg.ca62f575710ffa32c61a5b7a3e46f319.jpg

22 minutes ago, RogueWaves said:

@ Hoosier

Also mentioned in news reports. Italy (and Japan) have (or did in Italy's case) the highest population of elderly Peeps. Smoking's still the rage in Italy as well. Factors not helping their odds

Might be quite a bit to this.

• Like 1

Haven't seen a lot of hard data on how smoking affects COVID-19 prognosis. I saw one article that said one study showed it significantly increased the risk of complications and death, but two other studies showed no correlation. Simple logic would suggest that it increases risk since your lungs aren't as healthy as they otherwise would be when the infection starts doing its thing.

Still, even though data still suggests that given adequate medical care the confirmed-case fatality rate is around 2% (still several orders of magnitude higher than the flu) with the vast majority of those being over 50 and the majority of those being over 70; I'm still hearing enough stories of people in their early 40s or 30s getting fatal or near fatal cases to make me nervous despite my relatively low risk demographics (I'm 34, nonsmoker, 5'11"/188, haven't even had a cold or flu that I remember since November 2016). I'm also concerned for my fiancée (also 34, but has several health conditions) and my parents (my dad just turned 71, my mom will turn 69 next month; so any snark about 'all the olds dying' or COVID-19 being a 'boomer remover' doesn't sit well with me).

Also, I bolded "adequate" above because that's the scenario if the hospital isn't overwhelmed and you can get on a ventilator if you need to. AKA not what happened in Italy and, it's becoming apparent, New York.

So, all in all, I am social-distancing the **** out of this and encouraging everyone I can to do so as well. I should add that my fiancée and I are quite fortunate that we both work in fields that are considered "essential" to continue to operate during this quasi-lockdown, so our income has so far been unaffected; yet both our employers are taking major steps to reduce the risk to their employees (she has worked from home every day this week except today, my job description requires me to be physically present but we are practicing 6' social distancing and using an obscene amount of hand sanitizer and disinfecting wipes/spray several times per shift, and those members of staff who CAN work from home are).

57 minutes ago, CheeselandSkies said:

Haven't seen a lot of hard data on how smoking affects COVID-19 prognosis. I saw one article that said one study showed it significantly increased the risk of complications and death, but two other studies showed no correlation. Simple logic would suggest that it increases risk since your lungs aren't as healthy as they otherwise would be when the infection starts doing its thing.

Still, even though data still suggests that given adequate medical care the confirmed-case fatality rate is around 2% (still several orders of magnitude higher than the flu) with the vast majority of those being over 50 and the majority of those being over 70; I'm still hearing enough stories of people in their early 40s or 30s getting fatal or near fatal cases to make me nervous despite my relatively low risk demographics (I'm 34, nonsmoker, 5'11"/188, haven't even had a cold or flu that I remember since November 2016). I'm also concerned for my fiancée (also 34, but has several health conditions) and my parents (my dad just turned 71, my mom will turn 69 next month; so any snark about 'all the olds dying' or COVID-19 being a 'boomer remover' doesn't sit well with me).

Also, I bolded "adequate" above because that's the scenario if the hospital isn't overwhelmed and you can get on a ventilator if you need to. AKA not what happened in Italy and, it's becoming apparent, New York.

So, all in all, I am social-distancing the **** out of this and encouraging everyone I can to do so as well. I should add that my fiancée and I are quite fortunate that we both work in fields that are considered "essential" to continue to operate during this quasi-lockdown, so our income has so far been unaffected; yet both our employers are taking major steps to reduce the risk to their employees (she has worked from home every day this week except today, my job description requires me to be physically present but we are practicing 6' social distancing and using an obscene amount of hand sanitizer and disinfecting wipes/spray several times per shift, and those members of staff who CAN work from home are).

I am absolutely Social distancing myself. Went to the grocery store today for essentials for myself and my parents. Wore gloves, sanitized everything. Have been washing my hands a million times. I will not be going anywhere for several more weeks, not a store, not anywhere. I just hope everyone else who does not have to go out to work has the same attitude. I am fortunate to be able to work from home and even work is being lax and even having virtual happy hours lol.  I have become my parents parent lol, telling them a 100 times a day they cannot go anywhere. I'm 36, I do not smoke and I just had a physical where everything was good...only thing I worry about is I am overweight.  I keep telling everybody who will listen, you may have cabin fever now, in this is not going to be over soon, but the more isolated we all are now will get this over quicker.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, michsnowfreak said:

I am absolutely Social distancing myself. Went to the grocery store today for essentials for myself and my parents. Wore gloves, sanitized everything. Have been washing my hands a million times. I will not be going anywhere for several more weeks, not a store, not anywhere. I just hope everyone else who does not have to go out to work has the same attitude. I am fortunate to be able to work from home and even work is being lax and even having virtual happy hours lol.  I have become my parents parent lol, telling them a 100 times a day they cannot go anywhere. I'm 36, I do not smoke and I just had a physical where everything was good...only thing I worry about is I am overweight.  I keep telling everybody who will listen, you may have cabin fever now, in this is not going to be over soon, but the more isolated we all are now will get this over quicker.

If only that last line was actually true.  Only ways it is will be if we find a pretty solid cure/workaround that allows restrictions to be loosened or if it dies with summer heat/humidity.  This is the slower route we’ve tried to choose, though we’ll probably end up somewhere in the middle and have some of the worst of both worlds.  I’m not saying I disapprove of the actions, just being honest.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Guest ovweather
4 hours ago, Chicago Storm said:

They're not.

However, the main point is that the $ will be just an advancement on your 2020 tax return. So come next year, there's gonna be a lot of unhappy people.

What about people who will be receiving money but don’t file (or no longer file) tax returns?

26 minutes ago, snowstormcanuck said:

If necessary, it's going to be tougher for the US, with a more dispersed population and multiple layers and branches of government, to put in the strictures that Italy did.

Still, per capita not as bad as most Western European countries...yet.

Yeah.  Some countries overseas seem to have moved quickly to a national lockdown, even if it started off more local.  The US isn't anything like that right now.  Schools have closed in the vast majority of states and many states have stopped restaurant dine-in, but I think only about 20 states have the "stay at home" order right now.  Which as we know, is not quite what it suggests and is not always followed.  Because of the non uniform nature, unless that changes, my guess is that it will take us longer to get over the hump to the other side of the curve. 

3 hours ago, Hoosier said:

Chicago Mayor Lori Lightfoot closes city’s Lakefront Trail, adjoining parks, beaches, The 606 trail and the Riverwalk; bans contact sports being played in the city

https://www.chicagotribune.com/coronavirus/ct-coronavirus-chicago-lakefront-parks-closed-20200326-zdqpr2p3vfhqdoucu4hqcrtepa-story.html

They've closed all parks, facilities, trails and beaches in Toronto too. On-top of that, anyone travelling back to the country will need to self-isolate themselves for 14 days or face being charged or arrested. I don't know how they're going to enforce this but this should've been done a week ago. 

I heard Trump wants to put troops along the Canadian-US Border. Is that true? 

1 hour ago, Snowstorms said:

They've closed all parks, facilities, trails and beaches in Toronto too. On-top of that, anyone travelling back to the country will need to self-isolate themselves for 14 days or face being charged or arrested. I don't know how they're going to enforce this but this should've been done a week ago. 

I heard Trump wants to put troops along the Canadian-US Border. Is that true? 

It was sort of confirmed by Trudeau this morning, but it seems like it was an off-the-cuff comment by Trump without a lot of truth behind it.  At least that's my take. 

I also can't fathom a reason why he would do it.

3 hours ago, Hoosier said:

Yeah.  Some countries overseas seem to have moved quickly to a national lockdown, even if it started off more local.  The US isn't anything like that right now.  Schools have closed in the vast majority of states and many states have stopped restaurant dine-in, but I think only about 20 states have the "stay at home" order right now.  Which as we know, is not quite what it suggests and is not always followed.  Because of the non uniform nature, unless that changes, my guess is that it will take us longer to get over the hump to the other side of the curve. 

Hopefully the warmer weather, once it arrives, will help slow the rate of spread.

fwiw

15 minutes ago, snowstormcanuck said:

It was sort of confirmed by Trudeau this morning, but it seems like it was an off-the-cuff comment by Trump without a lot of truth behind it.  At least that's my take. 

I also can't fathom a reason why he would do it.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/politics/article-us-wont-post-troops-at-canadian-border-ottawa-says-it-strongly/

As expected, was a big nothing

6 minutes ago, snowstormcanuck said:

Hopefully the warmer weather, once it arrives, will help slow the rate of spread.

fwiw

Warm weather shouldn't hurt.  The question is how much it will help.  What is going on in New Orleans, for example, is concerning.  It has been in the 70s/80s there for practically the entire month and they are becoming a hotspot of cases.  There is a thought that Mardi Gras sort of started it all which seems reasonable.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jonger said:

Might be quite a bit to this.

Watched a Youtube vid posted by a young lady (early 30's) who's been basically in lock-down inside her apartment "flat" in Lombard, Italy. One of the hardest hit cities. To get "out" for a breath of fresh air, she went to the roof top open space. She noticed another young woman playing her guitar on the adjacent building roof. She yelled over and they chatted a bit about the situation. Then the gal with the guitar heaved something across to the gal filming. What'd she throw? A wooden clothespin with a cigarette clamped into it. Guessing the word's not out wrt the hazards of the habit..

35 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Warm weather shouldn't hurt.  The question is how much it will help.  What is going on in New Orleans, for example, is concerning.  It has been in the 70s/80s there for practically the entire month and they are becoming a hotspot of cases.  There is a thought that Mardi Gras sort of started it all which seems reasonable.  

I was listening to a podcast with Sam Harris and Peter Attia and they were speculating that increasing ultraviolet radiation may also play a part in killing the virus.  I infer from that that it'll take us getting to higher sun angle months for the real effect to be seen.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RogueWaves said:

Watched a Youtube vid posted by a young lady (early 30's) who's been basically in lock-down inside her apartment "flat" in Lombard, Italy. One of the hardest hit cities. To get "out" for a breath of fresh air, she went to the roof top open space. She noticed another young woman playing her guitar on the adjacent building roof. She yelled over and they chatted a bit about the situation. Then the gal with the guitar heaved something across to the gal filming. What'd she throw? A wooden clothespin with a cigarette clamped into it. Guessing the word's not out wrt the hazards of the habit..

Hate to admit a poor choice from my youth, a weekend in the county jail back in the early 80's , but that's how you kept a cigarette lit back when you could smoke but they wouldn't let you have a source of ignition, toss it from cell block to cell block to cell block 24/7.  Newbies pulled the longest shifts.  God forbid if it went out on your watch lol. :gun_bandana:

On 3/24/2020 at 12:27 AM, RCNYILWX said:

'Not an evil and monolithic orwellian total state'? Ask the 1 million Uighurs in concentration camps what they think about that statement. Don't fall for the propaganda:
https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2020/03/china-coronavirus-blame-victory-propaganda-trump.html

I won't further belabor this point but please don't equivocate between us and their government and don't say nice things about a regime that's the descendant of ones that murdered millions upon millions of its people and still 'disappears' critics, including some whistleblowers of their handling of the coronavirus outbreak.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Absolutely not, we should absolutely refuse to accept an outlook where inhumanity starts and ends with the actions of our perceived enemies.  If we’re going to count up the mountains of skulls, the armies of widows and orphans, the misery we make with political and economic actions or failures to act we need to put the USA, the British empire, and all the colonial powers in the same bin to be judged. We should not permit our own governments to get away with having “sinned quietly” by comparison, because for whatever reason it is convenient and comfortable to start history after 1857 or 1907 or 1957.

I say “sinned quietly” because the person who wrote it made a deliberate choice to carry out policy he knew he should revile, when he damn well knew better

We have to apply minimally *the same or higher* standards and hold our own “regimes” to higher levels of scrutiny and humanitarian standard whether historical or contemporary.

btw as far as it goes for me this is not about like, equivocating or to excuse, to run an exercise in apologetics for a foreign government. its historical honesty we need to have about ourselves if we want a better future

Ran across that because a friend sent me to this thread by @kakape about what expert observers thought were plausible and probable near term scenarios before the current outbreak

Many people now pointing to old articles (incl. one from me) saying: It’s all there. And others saying: No-one could have predicted #covid19. So I just want to be very clear about what I personally as a journalist covering this beat for years expected and didn‘t expect. A thread

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1243507635145629699.html

• Like 3

if your employer has a closet full of PPE sitting around

https://www.projectn95.org

if you yourself have an open box of n95s or what have you, check with all the cops, EMTs, fire rescue, RNs and doctors you personally know & make sure they got a stash. they’re already rationing PPE at my wifes workplace and i have been told it makes a huge difference to know you have a new clean mask, bunny suit, whatever waiting if the one you’ve got gets soiled beyond use; an emergency airway w patient in distress eg is not a clean affair

same with niosh rated half / full mask painting & remediation gear if they’re in good condition and you have spare clean filter sets

• Like 1