• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Coronavirus

Chicago Storm

Just read that Waffle House has closed over 400 restaurants.

PUBLISHED: MAR 25TH, 2020 - 4:30PM (EDT)UPDATED: MAR 25TH, 2020 - 4:32PM (EDT)
ATLANTA (WXIA) — You know it's bad when Waffle House is closed.

Waffle House has been a part of life in the south and other parts of the U.S. since its founding in suburban Atlanta in early September 1955.

The diner-style restaurant quickly spread across much of the southern United States, and is noted for always being open, with nearly 2,000 locations, serving breakfast, lunch and dinner at all times of the day and night.

They started using the Waffle House Index during natural disasters, particularly for hurricanes, in 2004. The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) even began using it to determine how bad things were in particular areas.

In 2011, former FEMA director Craig Fugate mentioned what he termed the "Waffle House Index," as a measure of this.

"The Waffle House test just doesn't tell us how quickly a business might rebound — it also tells how the larger community is faring," said a FEMA blog post from 2011.

• Like 1

If this has already been discussed somewhere in this thread, please excuse me.  Wed. March 25 USA Today has an article entitled  "Social Distancing or Tornado Shelter. Which do you pick?   It mentions that Newcastle OK has a city owned shelter that holds 1000 people but it is closed for now.  Obviously I think an oncoming tornado poses a much higher risk than coronavirus for the length of time people might be in a shelter for the duration of the tornado, but what about during recovery time if the shelter is used to house those whose homes have been destroyed.  Interesting article especially since we are going into the active spring tornado season.

1 minute ago, Indystorm said:

If this has already been discussed somewhere in this thread, please excuse me.  Wed. March 25 USA Today has an article entitled  "Social Distancing or Tornado Shelter. Which do you pick?   It mentions that Newcastle OK has a city owned shelter that holds 1000 people but it is closed for now.  Obviously I think an oncoming tornado poses a much higher risk than coronavirus for the length of time people might be in a shelter for the duration of the tornado, but what about during recovery time if the shelter is used to house those whose homes have been destroyed.  Interesting article especially since we are going into the active spring tornado season.

Tornado shelter.

8 minutes ago, StormySquares said:

I'm not sure if this has been brought up in the past. If your state is under a stay at home order, is there a good excuse to storm chase if a cop would to ask? 

Good question, particularly with the set up coming for this weekend here in the Midwest.  I think if you were a journalist, photographer, scientist or tv film crew person things might go easier with you than if you were just chasing for the heck of it.  But I don't know.

• Like 1

US death toll has surpassed 1000.  Took 8 days to go from 100 to 1000 but it is accelerating at a pace to get to 2000 in only a few more days.  Alarming but in line with what has happened in other countries and what knowledgeable people were saying would happen.

LOL insanity

On 3/25/2020 at 6:55 AM, King James said:

Local hospitals started letting staff go they are so quiet

If there is a surge there is plenty or room and staff ready to get back to work as well as millions of others

I know you aren’t a fan of this but people got to get back to work. They dropped the ball on this big time

They did drop the ball. They didn't act sooner.

We shall see how this post holds up over time. Be part of the solution, not the problem.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, snowcaine said:

They did drop the ball. They didn't act sooner.

We shall see how this post holds up over time. Be part of the solution, not the problem.

The time to assign blame accomplishes zero during a time of crisis. There will be time to assess and apply where we failed, where we succeeded, and what preparations, and actions need to be taken going forward at a later date. The blame game is a losers game. And sadly, and lastly any posting of death stats needs to include avg. age./region/ death rate/ any underlying circumstances/ and recovery rates. There is still much unknown regarding this virus, and those stats are extremely telling to paint a real picture. Let's all hope we can work together ,limit the damage for everyone's sake and get back to a normal circumstance  sooner rather than later -all the wiser for it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

The big problem with this in America is our first test did not work. That was the greatest failure by our country, we simply do not prepare in case the testing does not work.  That's like showing up to the golf course without tees, lol it's unreasonable to predict that.

I think this thing will be on the down turn by the end of April, everyone seems to be taking it seriously enough that it should flatten the curve

17 minutes ago, Chicago Storm said:

Can’t help but lol at the people (which is many) who actually think they’re about to get “free” money from the government.

Without reading the details, I have just been assuming that the money will have to be claimed as income.   

56 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Based on what I just read, it sounds like the checks are not taxable income.

They're not.

However, the main point is that the $ will be just an advancement on your 2020 tax return. So come next year, there's gonna be a lot of unhappy people.

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Not even gonna post Italy's numbers.

I guess maybe the good news is that we are not seeing their numbers jump much higher now? 

Deaths per day seem to have leveled off to a 650-750 range, which is obviously not good, but luckily the trend upward has not continued.

5 minutes ago, Chicago Storm said:

I guess maybe the good news is that we are not seeing their numbers jump much higher now? 

Deaths per day seem to have leveled off to a 650-750 range, which is obviously not good, but luckily the trend upward has not continued.

That is the only positive... not having exponential growth.

17 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Obesity-diabetes.jpg.00476e274636b3601b5cd69410062454.jpg

Pretty interesting. 

Though, curious about the underlying datasets. Illinois looks a strange outlier on obesity - where MO & IN draw higher heat right up to the state line. Kansas also looks like it built a wall against diabetes, even though obesity seems to be quite prevalent. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1