• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Coronavirus

Chicago Storm

Calling victory in the second quarter... 
We haven’t even had enough days of isolation to see if we have started to flatten the curve. This still has plenty of time to go full blown Italy, or New York for that matter. 

I get the sentiment. I have tenants who I am unsure I will get rent from. I have lost hundreds of thousands in the stock market. I am about to lose my shit working from home. But we need some more time and more data to ensure we are getting desired results.

My assumption is that we end up under a no travel order for longer than April 7th. You must be absolutely certain the curve is flattened before resuming normal activity, as there is still plenty of time for this to go tits up. 

“We overreacted” or “this was all for nothing” or “I went about my normal life and nothing happened” MEANS IT ****ING WORKED. We, as a society, have done well thus far (mostly). Let’s not screw it up now. 

To each their own

I started working again today.
  • Like 1
  • Weenie 2

9 hours ago, Hoosier said:

Several new cases confirmed in neighboring towns this evening.  It's coming for us all.  :(

I had to turn away from the constant coverage of this crap.  It was making me sick.  Fear mongering, hate, hypocrisy, lies, day after day... no thanks.  I'm back to living my life and watching the clouds.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Weenie 2

13 hours ago, Hoosier said:

Several new cases confirmed in neighboring towns this evening.  It's coming for us all.  :(

More like "test confirmations are coming to us all". Now that everyone with a slight cough/sneeze/wheeze fears they might have "it" they will go in for testing. Especially if they're off work and just hanging out anyways. Without the isolation situation, they'd be like "I wish I could afford the time and (lost) pay to go into my doc and get this checked out, but sh*t, Jimmie's got to get to school 'cause his team's playing an away game this afternoon, and I've got work and a plan with sis afterwards. Maybe I'll go later if it gets a lot worse.."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Weenie 1

Guest ovweather

I thought this was an interesting article from researchers at the University of Oxford claiming that the virus has been in the UK for a few months longer then thought and half of the population there may have already been infected by the virus. There are still those here in the US claiming they had the exact symptoms of Covid-19 as early as back in December and it wasn't the flu because they were tested for it. Makes you wonder if maybe more of us haven't been exposed to the virus and we just didn't know it as we were asymptomatic or just had a very mild case and shrugged it off as a bad cold? But if that's the case, have there been more deaths, too? What if some of the deaths attributed to flu / pneumonia were actually caused by Covid-19? After all, there have been over 20,000 deaths in the US this flu season, many of which have occurred in just the past 2 months. And since testing for Covid-19 is very new and lacking in availability, I guess it's a plausible theory the virus has been wreaking havoc under the radar in many countries for several months now.

https://metro.co.uk/2020/03/24/coronavirus-may-already-infected-half-uk-population-12451012/

Anyone who thinks we will be going back to normal working in 2 weeks is severely mistaken and part of the problem. All you need to do is look at Italy and the rest of Europe to see why that is an insane idea. They haven't even hit the top of the curve yet.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Stebo said:

Anyone who thinks we will be going back to normal working in 2 weeks is severely mistaken and part of the problem. All you need to do is look at Italy and the rest of Europe to see why that is an insane idea. They haven't even hit the top of the curve yet.

This entire scenario should give Poly-Sci majors an endless supply of Thesis fodder. Can we prove it's not already been "around" and most have been/are already exposed? Can we prove these measures halting the economy will actually make the final toll lower, or just stretch the whole thing out with the same number of fatalities? Can we prove that when all is said and done, there won't be just as many "incidental casualties" due to a myriad of socio-economic factors ranging from increased suicides to loss of funding for social "safety net" organizations? If we can prove such, then I say let's stay home indefinitely! In absence of hard proof, it comes down to a compromise and somebody's best judgement after weighing (or attempting to) all the factors against one another. Glad I'm not that person tbh..

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, ovweather said:

I thought this was an interesting article from researchers at the University of Oxford claiming that the virus has been in the UK for a few months longer then thought and half of the population there may have already been infected by the virus. There are still those here in the US claiming they had the exact symptoms of Covid-19 as early as back in December and it wasn't the flu because they were tested for it. Makes you wonder if maybe more of us haven't been exposed to the virus and we just didn't know it as we were asymptomatic or just had a very mild case and shrugged it off as a bad cold? But if that's the case, have there been more deaths, too? What if some of the deaths attributed to flu / pneumonia were actually caused by Covid-19? After all, there have been over 20,000 deaths in the US this flu season, many of which have occurred in just the past 2 months. And since testing for Covid-19 is very new and lacking in availability, I guess it's a plausible theory the virus has been wreaking havoc under the radar in many countries for several months now.

https://metro.co.uk/2020/03/24/coronavirus-may-already-infected-half-uk-population-12451012/

Many illnesses have covid-19 like symptoms though.  I could see it being in the US longer than thought but am skeptical of any idea that it was running rampant all over the place for months.  And take Italy as an example.  I don't remember hearing anything like what they are going through right now with the hospital strain.  If it were spreading throughout Italy a couple months ago, we would've heard something about an unusually large number of hospitalizations and deaths. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Hoosier said:

Italy's deaths were down from yesterday's update, but still not far from 700.  They are going through a really rough stretch to try to get to the other side of the curve.

In Italy, 85.6 percent of those who have died were over 70, according to the National Institute of Health's (ISS) latest report. 

With 23 percent of Italians over 65 years old, the Mediterannean country has the second-oldest population in the world after Japan - and observers believe age distribution could also have played a role in raising the fatality rate.

• Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, RogueWaves said:

This entire scenario should give Poly-Sci majors an endless supply of Thesis fodder. Can we prove it's not already been "around" and most have been/are already exposed? Can we prove these measures halting the economy will actually make the final toll lower, or just stretch the whole thing out with the same number of fatalities? Can we prove that when all is said and done, there won't be just as many "incidental casualties" due to a myriad of socio-economic factors ranging from increased suicides to loss of funding for social "safety net" organizations? If we can prove such, then I say let's stay home indefinitely! In absence of hard proof, it comes down to a compromise and somebody's best judgement after weighing (or attempting to) all the factors against one another. Glad I'm not that person tbh..

The best thing to do is to assume we all have it, and to assume after 3-6 weeks depending upon projections, that it has run its course. Beyond that we have no idea. I would rather be extra cautious vs careless on this with how aggressive the virus has been.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Guest ovweather
32 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Many illnesses have covid-19 like symptoms though.  I could see it being in the US longer than thought but am skeptical of any idea that it was running rampant all over the place for months.  And take Italy as an example.  I don't remember hearing anything like what they are going through right now with the hospital strain.  If it were spreading throughout Italy a couple months ago, we would've heard something about an unusually large number of hospitalizations and deaths. 

Yes, many viruses share similar symptoms, but when I read from some others here in the US they were ill back in December and January with a high fever, shortness of breath, loss of taste and smell, etc, but the flu tests were negative, you can’t help but wonder what it was exactly. Maybe COVID-19 is a virus that peaks in February and March and then dies down? Could be we are at the peak of its intensity right now, or maybe not?

I think being a new and unknown virus, lots of what we think we know right now about Covid has many question marks. It will take years of in-depth research into the data to fully grasp the virus.

Well, I tried to get out and walk a little bit for some exercise this late afternoon.  Went to Flat Fork Creek park just a mile west of me.  I could barely find a parking spot and paved trails were like Disney world during holiday time.  Needless to say I didn't walk very far before deciding to turn around and go home to avoid the throngs of people.  And we in Indiana are supposed to shelter in place except for some exercise?  Too risky for me at this time of day even if it was outdoors.

7 minutes ago, Indystorm said:

Well, I tried to get out and walk a little bit for some exercise this late afternoon.  Went to Flat Fork Creek park just a mile west of me.  I could barely find a parking spot and paved trails were like Disney world during holiday time.  Needless to say I didn't walk very far before deciding to turn around and go home to avoid the throngs of people.  And we in Indiana are supposed to shelter in place except for some exercise?  Too risky for me at this time of day even if it was outdoors.

Much better off just walking around the neighborhood.

25 minutes ago, Indystorm said:

If people are getting cabin fever now, what happens after 14 days or if the restrictions strengthen. People needs to heed these warnings and are just completely ignoring them thinking this is a free vacation.

I will say without getting too political, this shelter in place shows that we need more vacation time as a workforce collectively. Something similar to the European model for example.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Yea, people followed the shelter-in-place order for about two days.

Local traffic was back to usual Wednesday standards around here, with pretty much any business that was open having a decently filled lot. And I should point out there are a lot of non-essential businesses that are still open. Tons of people were outdoors too, with the nice weather today.

10 minutes ago, Chicago Storm said:

Local traffic was back to usual Wednesday standards around here, with pretty much any business that was open having a decently filled lot. And I should point out there are a lot of non-essential businesses that are still open. Tons of people were outdoors too, with the nice weather today.

Wx looks crappier overall for the upcoming days, so that should keep some people inside.  The thing about non-essential businesses being open is interesting... they are taking a chance.

54 minutes ago, Chicago Storm said:

agreed.