Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
Coronavirus

Chicago Storm

34 minutes ago, hawkeye_wx said:

We should be getting a lot more data for this country over the next couple weeks(positive/negative tests, fatalities, etc).  If we start getting more data that suggests the death rate is similar to the flu, or even a bit higher, there will be immense pressure to start sending people back to work.

All evidence points to the mortality rate being substantially higher than the flu. 

The reason for these drastic social distancing measures isn't to prevent the spread.  That is inevitable.  I've read estimates up to 80 percent of the population will be infected eventually.  The social distancing is in place to slow the spread so that the healthcare system can cope with those who will unfortunately need hospitalization, to build capacity (beds, ventilators, etc), and to maybe develop a vaccine or effective treatment plan.  It's about buying time.  There's no way that will be accomplished in a couple of weeks. 

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, snowstormcanuck said:

All evidence points to the mortality rate being substantially higher than the flu. 

The reason for these drastic social distancing measures isn't to prevent the spread.  That is inevitable.  I've read estimates up to 80 percent of the population will be infected eventually.  The social distancing is in place to slow the spread so that the healthcare system can cope with those who will unfortunately need hospitalization, to build capacity (beds, ventilators, etc), and to maybe develop a vaccine or effective treatment plan.  It's about buying time.  There's no way that will be accomplished in a couple of weeks. 

This is a very accurate statement.  

16 minutes ago, snowstormcanuck said:

There's supposed to be lag between when the lockdown measures were implemented and when the death/infection rate would start to decline.  But, it's been two weeks, I think?  Very discouraging.

I think it's been a week and a half since we really started seeing action to lockdown.

28 minutes ago, snowstormcanuck said:

There's supposed to be lag between when the lockdown measures were implemented and when the death/infection rate would start to decline.  But, it's been two weeks, I think?  Very discouraging.

I think just a couple towns went into lockdown first before it became widespread?  Can't remember.

Hard to put a lot of positive spin on the numbers, but just think how it would be if it were business as usual.

11 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

I think just a couple towns went into lockdown first before it became widespread?  Can't remember.

Hard to put a lot of positive spin on the numbers, but just think how it would be if it were business as usual.

A lot of families live together across three generations, not to mention the potential for poor ventilation.  I'm not convinced it would be much worse if society was going about their business but just social distancing as much as they can

• Weenie 1

Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think we have any vaccine for SARS. If we do discover a vaccine for this virus, plus all the R&D and testing, it likely won't be mass distributed until next Winter. 

Very tragic to hear whats happening in Europe. Until things can calm down and revert back to normal in Europe, we will likely stay in lockdown mode here in North America. Swine flu back in 2009 was pretty bad too on a global scale. If people can abide by the rules and self isolate themselves, we can work together as a society to control the spread. 

56 minutes ago, Chicago Storm said:

Illinois is expected to be placed under a shelter-in-place order during todays news conference, which will go into effect on Saturday.

With word out that this is going to occur, chaos has ensued.

Walmart is beyond packed...There's a line just to get into the building. Police everywhere.

4 minutes ago, Chicago Storm said:

Walmart is beyond packed...There's a line just to get into the building. Police everywhere.

I am hitting the store again today just to avoid the real chaos later.  Indiana has been lagging Illinois a bit on many of these restrictions so I am figuring shelter in place in IN is coming.

The statewide shutdown is ridiculous and should be illegal. It is going to spread pure chaos similar to a hurricane, except there is nowhere to evacuate to.  

You'll literally have to be armed at all times if something like this were to happen as those who have lost their incomes will become incredibly desperate.  I currently am keeping a firearm on me at all times when going into the store with how crazy things are. I mean heck people get mugged all the time during Black Friday, imagine true desperation

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 2
  • Weenie 2

9 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

I am hitting the store again today just to avoid the real chaos later.  Indiana has been lagging Illinois a bit on many of these restrictions so I am figuring shelter in place in IN is coming.

I'd go a step further and prepare for more than SIP.  The best in humanity will rise up but so will the worst, especially if the economy leans more towards a collapse in coming weeks.  I'm a prepare for the worst hope for the best kinda guy.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Chicago Storm said:

A bit counterproductive.  It's not like shelter in place is that much different in reality from what is happening now.  Just about everything is closed except for convenience/grocery stores, services to communities like food pantries, and essential businesses.  Now by going with SIP, they are creating an unnecessary mad dash to stores that will expose everyone again and violate social distancing.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, wisconsinwx said:

A bit counterproductive.  It's not like shelter in place is that much different in reality from what is happening now.  Just about everything is closed except for convenience/grocery stores, services to communities like food pantries, and essential businesses.  Now by going with SIP, they are creating an unnecessary mad dash to stores that will expose everyone again and violate social distancing.

This is partly why MI hasn't gone with SIP. We have done everything up to that though there should be a call to shut down more places in general. Leave food/pharmacy/banks and any sort of distribution open. Beyond that the rest should close.

Just now, Stebo said:

This is partly why MI hasn't gone with SIP. We have done everything up to that though there should be a call to shut down more places in general. Leave food/pharmacy/banks and any sort of distribution open. Beyond that the rest should close.

Presser at 4:30 with Gov Whitmer, suspect a SIP order incoming for us too.

9 minutes ago, nwohweather said:

The statewide shutdown is ridiculous and should be illegal. It is going to spread pure chaos similar to a hurricane, except there is nowhere to evacuate to.  

You'll literally have to be armed at all times if something like this were to happen as those who have lost their incomes will become incredibly desperate.  I currently am keeping a firearm on me at all times when going into the store with how crazy things are. I mean heck people get mugged all the time during Black Friday, imagine true desperation

There’s nowhere to evacuate to because people just stay home (a lot of the chaos before a hurricane comes from everyone trying to leave at once), and how would this affect people with lost incomes anymore than they’re already being impacted?

Besides, there’s legislation being worked on to help people in need. 

9 minutes ago, A-L-E-K said:

americans are gonna lose their minds when the multi day period of 1,000+ daily death commences 

On 3/17/2020 at 3:27 PM, A-L-E-K said:

when do all the olds start dying? 

You seem to be the only one "in the know". Let us know prior to it starting please. 

• Haha 6

1 minute ago, RobertSul said:

There’s nowhere to evacuate to because people just stay home (a lot of the chaos before a hurricane comes from everyone trying to leave at once), and how would this affect people with lost incomes anymore than they’re already being impacted?

Besides, there’s legislation being worked on to help people in need. 

I'm saying people with lost incomes are going to be motivated to get out and rob people

• Weenie 1

2 minutes ago, weatherbo said:

Presser at 4:30 with Gov Whitmer, suspect a SIP order incoming for us too.

It might, but based upon her office's tweets earlier today it seems like they are against that right now. IL and other states going that way today could have changed her mind.

17 minutes ago, wisconsinwx said:

Yeah, somebody should come up with a better term for it.  Shelter in place is misleading and causes unnecessary panic rush to the stores like you said.

Without early detection and isolation of the infected I'd love to hear how the US contains this. This is a cluster**** right now that didn't have to be at this level. That's what happens when you try to cover it up and try an pull a fast one on us.