Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Coronavirus

Chicago Storm

4 minutes ago, Snownado said:

Seems kind of odd that there only 9,000 cases in a country of 330 million especially considering all of the high profile people who have tested positive.

That does point to a much higher number of cases than have been confirmed.  Nobody really knows but I have seen estimates that it may be 10x higher at a minimum.

Guest ovweather

Great article: 

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/18/world/coronavirus-and-climate-crisis-response-intl-hnk/index.html

If only all the people buying into the science of COVID—19 would believe in the science of climate change instead of labeling it inaccurate science or a hoax.

Air pollution alone kills 7 million people worldwide every year. Kind of puts things in perspective right now. How many older folks dying from complications of COVID-19 have weakened or scarred lungs from years of air pollution exposure? Just some food for thought.

If we can all take appropriate steps to help stop the spread of COVID-19, even if it drastically weakens the economy in the process, then we can all take steps to reduce our carbon footprints, even if there’s an economic toll.

6 hours ago, Indystorm said:

Hopefully only until the end of the month from what I have read.  We've been directed to cancel our worship services here at least through Easter.  Large churches can use live streaming.  I'm sending e mail devotions to parishioners and calling seniors asking if they need groceries, things from the drug store, etc.   Tough not being able to visit parishioners in hospital or nursing home but relying on phone calls.

These social distancing measures are going to last much longer than 2 weeks most likely based on what the top government officials are saying. more like 2 months at the least. I think they are just going in these 2 week intervals as to not cause the public to panic even more than they already are. But hopefully companies can figure out a way to get back up and running in at least some capacity before then. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, chances14 said:

These social distancing measures are going to last much longer than 2 weeks most likely based on what the top government officials are saying. more like 2 months at the least. I think they are just going in these 2 week intervals as to not cause the public to panic even more than they already are. But hopefully companies can figure out a way to get back up and running in at least some capacity before then. 

If we don't find a drug that works like that malaria drug that may work it could be until a vaccine comes out that we are instructed to social distance (12-18 months) <_<

11 minutes ago, pen_artist said:

some good news to share perhaps though. looks like china has had its first day without cases within the country. all from foreigners coming in 

We should go full on Wuhan style lockdown in the United States.  It would suck and it may be illegal but short term pain for long term gain.  :weep:

• Like 1

I don't believe a thing that China reports. This is going to come in waves until if/when we have an effective vaccine.  Just like violent weather the best thing we can do is be prepared, which this show's we're woefully not.  Over the last 30- 40 years we've updated building codes, evacuation plans, invested in public awareness campaigns and in science (like anything now-a-days not enough there) in hurricane prone areas from lessons learned since Cammile, Hugo, Andrew and Katrina all of which have undoubtedly saved thousands of lives.  We've done very similar things when it comes to tornado outbreaks.  Sure warning times have probably helped the most but without the investments in all of the above warning times would be much less effective.

We can go spend 100's of billions to fill our emergency oil reserves during this yet our medical system and infrastructure is nowhere prepared.  I kind of look at this as the biological Hugo.  There's going to be another one, a biological Andrew, even a Katrina.  Just like violent weather we know it's going to happen.   Hopefully this will begin a trend to start investing in better "building codes", better "response plans", better "public awareness/education" and better "science" at a public health level.

Nobody is 100% sure yet but more than likely this may eventually run it's course with time, maybe even a year or longer. But ones going to come along that is really a nasty one, that it is extremely resilient and resistant to whatever we throw at it.  I hope it's not this one but when that bug comes around we better be a lot more prepared than we are now.  

Telling NY the big white ship with the big Red Cross is coming ain't cutting it :arrowhead:

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Snownado said:

Seems kind of odd that there only 9,000 cases in a country of 330 million especially considering all of the high profile people who have tested positive.

I think part of that might be that high profile people have a higher chance of traveling globally, and likely shake a lot more hands than the Average Joe.

11 hours ago, Stebo said:

Yeah it is not good, the downturn in 08-09 is what put this area into a depression, not a recession. We are just now getting back to what we were in 06-07.

https://www.wxyz.com/news/coronavirus/ford-gm-and-fiat-chrysler-will-close-all-factories-amid-coronavirus-outbreak-ap-reports

Did Detroit ever diversify its economy? I feel like I heard rumblings about it ten years ago but don’t know about any hard numbers.

I was at the gas station last night holding change and beer. Made me think that everything around is now a risk from this point on. Continuing to wash your hands alone isn’t going to cut it. 

I believe they’re going to start giving out some type of a card to show you’re tested and clear to allow people back in public places etc. 

But even then, how will you know if one gets infected the next day? 

Vaccine. Which isn’t going to be for awhile. Which is going to be bad. The city life, gone. It’s going to be hard to regulate. 

Also storm season ahead. God forbid something happens on top of it. 

Rough.

2 hours ago, Jackstraw said:

I don't believe a thing that China reports. This is going to come in waves until if/when we have an effective vaccine.  Just like violent weather the best thing we can do is be prepared, which this show's we're woefully not.  Over the last 30- 40 years we've updated building codes, evacuation plans, invested in public awareness campaigns and in science (like anything now-a-days not enough there) in hurricane prone areas from lessons learned since Cammile, Hugo, Andrew and Katrina all of which have undoubtedly saved thousands of lives.  We've done very similar things when it comes to tornado outbreaks.  Sure warning times have probably helped the most but without the investments in all of the above warning times would be much less effective.

We can go spend 100's of billions to fill our emergency oil reserves during this yet our medical system and infrastructure is nowhere prepared.  I kind of look at this as the biological Hugo.  There's going to be another one, a biological Andrew, even a Katrina.  Just like violent weather we know it's going to happen.   Hopefully this will begin a trend to start investing in better "building codes", better "response plans", better "public awareness/education" and better "science" at a public health level.

Nobody is 100% sure yet but more than likely this may eventually run it's course with time, maybe even a year or longer. But ones going to come along that is really a nasty one, that it is extremely resilient and resistant to whatever we throw at it.  I hope it's not this one but when that bug comes around we better be a lot more prepared than we are now.  

Telling NY the big white ship with the big Red Cross is coming ain't cutting it :arrowhead:

In what ways is our infrastructure and medical system not prepared? Or maybe, I should ask what other things  do you think that should be in place that would have us prepared for an instance like we are currently expecting?

• Weenie 2

In what ways is our infrastructure and medical system not prepared? Or maybe, I should ask what other things  do you think that should be in place that would have us prepared for an instance like we are currently expecting?
Not sure if you're being obtuse.

For those who haven't seen the Bill Gates Ted talk:

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Hoosier said:

We should go full on Wuhan style lockdown in the United States.  It would suck and it may be illegal but short term pain for long term gain.  :weep:

what's scary is that it took almost a two month lockdown of wuhan to get where they are at now and we don't even know for sure if china's reporting is accurate. A lockdown like that will never happen here