• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Coronavirus

Chicago Storm

At least being weather dorks has given us that spicy prepper edge & a fundamental fascination with staring at computer screens slamming f5 to see how well numerical models verify in simulating chaotic, emergent phenomena.

How long until the subforum comes up with the sars-cov2 versions of DAB and “wagons ______”. Which public health & epidemiology figures will be the new skilling? which research institute will emerge as the euro of pandemic modeling?

Work for me is going full speed and probably will keep on until the governor says shut it or marty ozinga stops making concrete.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Hoosier said:

The new report that came out is mind boggling... says the closings/social distancing may have to go on for up to 18 months or until a vaccine is widely available.  Good luck getting people to go along with that.  At some point I think people would just say screw it and if I get sick or die, so be it.

Got a link to this?  I've heard it too but haven't seen the report.

Finally got an official statement/policy from my apartment building's management on this (what they are doing as far as cleaning common areas, etc).

I'm intrigued (and concerned) that despite the mass flight cancellations/airport chaos; I haven't heard of any action (increased cleaning, spacing out of passengers in cars, service cutbacks/total shutdowns, etc) from the passenger rail systems. Amtrak, Metra, CTA El...maybe I just missed it but I'm in the TV news business so I don't think so, unless something happened after I left work today. Has New York shut down their subway system? Lots of commuter rail systems in the Northeast, too.

Jails and prisons are another thing that popped into my head. Dane County sheriff's department announced restrictions on visitors to the county jails; but what about state and federal prisons? Lots of people crowded close together; access is restricted but if the virus gets in it will wreak havoc.

Got a link to this?  I've heard it too but haven't seen the report.
From pages 14-15 of the March 16, 2020 report released by the Imperial College COVID-19 Response Team:

"A minimum policy for effective suppression is therefore population-wide social distancing combined with home isolation of cases and school and university closure.

To avoid a rebound in transmission, these policies will need to be maintained until large stocks of vaccine are available to immunise the population – which could be 18 months or more."

https://www.imperial.ac.uk/media/imperial-college/medicine/sph/ide/gida-fellowships/Imperial-College-COVID19-NPI-modelling-16-03-2020.pdf

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, Snowstorms said:

I heard that. Dougie declares a state of emergency. Bans all gatherings of 50 or more people but ironically all mall remain open. 

Several businesses, like Champs or Nike, close their stores for 2 weeks. All theatres are closed as well. Everyone that I know is working from home now. 

I was at Mel Lastman Square for lunch today.  The tables in the food court are still there, but a lot of the chairs have been removed to encourage people to sit far apart.

Non-essential municipal employees in Toronto (including myself) off until April 5, subject to some possible rotational work.  Wake me up around 10:30 am tomorrow  :thumbsup:

Appreciate everyone kind words during this hard time, especially during our line of work. Not one to fish for sympathy, but after being treated like crap throughout the past week, it’s imperative to get some positive feedback. To anyone worried about any food shortage, I promise you We are working around the clock to make sure food is going straight from warehouse to your home. 

• Like 1

Just now, Chambana said:

Appreciate everyone kind words during this hard time, especially during our line of work. Not one to fish for sympathy, but after being treated like crap throughout the past week, it’s imperative to get some positive feedback. To anyone worried about any food shortage, I promise you We are working around the clock to make sure food is going straight from warehouse to your home. 

Thank you. Your efforts are appreciated!

15 minutes ago, Chambana said:

Shame on anyone that treats you badly!!! I don't know what's wrong with people, this mass htsteria buying was created by the public, not those who serve the public. I've actually been working from home since March 9th.  We get one week to work from home a month (last week was my week) during which we have one Skype meeting with our boss to catch up on some stuff. However, effective this week until further notice, the entire office is working from home daily, so we have a quick daily 9am meeting on Skype. I literally texted my boss that I'm going to miss tomorrow's meeting because I have an aldi by my house that I want to get to as soon as they open to get a few essentials. I feel getting there right when they open is my best chance. It's ridiculous that I have to feel like Pa Ingalls out hunting in the wild, but that's what it's come to.

• Like 2

My cousin's aunt and uncle (not related to me though) got back from a Europe trip and the aunt is running a fever along with a sore throat.  I thought she and her husband got back like a week ago but turns out they were caught up in that long mess at ORD this past weekend.  The sore throat is one of the much less common symptoms but can happen.  She should probably get tested just to know but no idea if she will.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Hoosier said:

My cousin's aunt and uncle (not related to me though) got back from a Europe trip and the aunt is running a fever along with a sore throat.  I thought she and her husband got back like a week ago but turns out they were caught up in that long mess at ORD this past weekend.  The sore throat is one of the much less common symptoms but can happen.  She should probably get tested just to know but no idea if she will.

I have the sore throat, cough, chest tightness and pain and low grade fever. Went to the ER and they only did a influenza swab and sent me home with a "upper respiratory infection" diagnosis. Unless you're a severe case, they won't test you due to lack of tests.

8 hours ago, HillsdaleMIWeather said:

I have the sore throat, cough, chest tightness and pain and low grade fever. Went to the ER and they only did a influenza swab and sent me home with a "upper respiratory infection" diagnosis. Unless you're a severe case, they won't test you due to lack of tests.

Thinking the low grade fever was the send you home reasoning. From my understanding the virus hits like a freight train 103 fevers...

I would quarantine myself none the less. Get well... Hope tour not Old's...

11 hours ago, Chambana said:

This is going to be a long marathon … I would suggest taking some time off to regenerate, for your immunity is decreasing daily. Not the best parameter, in this era of time.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, kevlon62 said:

From pages 14-15 of the March 16, 2020 report released by the Imperial College COVID-19 Response Team:

"A minimum policy for effective suppression is therefore population-wide social distancing combined with home isolation of cases and school and university closure.

To avoid a rebound in transmission, these policies will need to be maintained until large stocks of vaccine are available to immunise the population – which could be 18 months or more."

https://www.imperial.ac.uk/media/imperial-college/medicine/sph/ide/gida-fellowships/Imperial-College-COVID19-NPI-modelling-16-03-2020.pdf

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

There will absolutely be rebound cases. The general hope is that we have “flattened the curve” enough for it to be manageable. 

I read a long article about the possibility of a seasonally related waning on the virus, which remains a distinct possibility but not one anyone should hang their hat on. 

This will be widespread. You will probably get it. You probably won’t need anything more than some cold medicine. But if a few weeks of social distancing keeps our healthcare system from buckling, I am all for it. This is tough as we won’t know if our efforts are working for several weeks. 

• Thanks 1