Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Coronavirus

Chicago Storm

23 minutes ago, buckeye said:

Weather seems so damn irrelevant right now

If this shutdown/isolation culture goes to July,  American small business will be decimated.   70% of our economy's engine is small businesses.   Two weeks ago I told my guys we were heading into an incredible year looking at all the signals.   I was interviewing people and ready to purchase additional vehicles.   

Fast forward 2 weeks ..... this morning I had the 'lay off' talk with my guys, it was the hardest thing Ive had to do.   They're scared to death and I don't blame them.  Is the govt going to bail out millions of small businesses and tens of millions of workers without a paycheck?   What about the big businesses like the airlines?  Apparently the U.S. treasury is populated by rainbow -shtting unicorns running the printing presses.

I hope the powers that be know what the hell they're doing because they've put a stack of chips they can't afford on these distancing policies.  Has anyone asked what the death rate increases to and what the quality of life degrades to when an economy the size of ours collapses?  Degraded health services, suicides, violence etc.  I'm guessing a death toll far greater then even the H1N1.   Or maybe they can look to Venezuela for reference.

I suspect after a few weeks some of these politicians and 'doctors' are going to be forced to re-evaluate how they are leveraging risk.

:wub:

Guest ovweather
1 hour ago, CheeselandSkies said:

I'm sure smoking doesn't help the prognosis, but let's not use being a nonsmoker as an excuse not to take other precautions.

I agree about taking all precautions until we have much more data concerning COVID-19, which includes why do some people text positive and never develop systems to why others die. I think it’s just interesting that the highest death rates currently with COVID-19 are occurring in two of the countries with the highest number of smokers in the world. If you smoke and contract a severe respiratory illness like COVID-19 or the flu that develops into pneumonia, expect the worst.

Our whole warehouse is exhausted, we are completely exhausted, we are working around the clock to make sure product is getting shipped. I’m on OT and lots of it making $33 an hour. Be kind to the people making sure your shelves are stocked, it’s crazy guys. I just pulled another 16 hour shift. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Just now, SchaumburgStormer said:

I’m guessing it’s a question of “when”, I assume no later than Thursday. 

If trends continue, I'd agree with that.

Large jump in cases and steady increase in deaths continues. 4,500+ cases and 85 death now in the US.

2 minutes ago, Chambana said:

Our whole warehouse is exhausted, we are completely exhausted, we are working around the clock to make sure product is getting shipped. I’m on OT and lots of it making $33 an hour. Be kind to the people making sure your shelves are stocked, it’s crazy guys. I just pulled another 16 hour shift. 

Thank you

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Anyone else hyper aware of people coughing?  I went to the store a little while ago and on the way in there was a woman ahead of me who coughed w/out covering her mouth.  I tried to stay out of her path.

I was at the store today (feeling better), and I coughed once. You would have thought I just walked into a preschool nude. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, snowstormcanuck said:

Toronto forcing dine-in restaurants to close.  Could face $25k/day fine if defiant.

Thank god we live in an era of Uber eats.

I heard that. Dougie declares a state of emergency. Bans all gatherings of 50 or more people but ironically all mall remain open. 

Several businesses, like Champs or Nike, close their stores for 2 weeks. All theatres are closed as well. Everyone that I know is working from home now. 

I heard that. Dougie declares a state of emergency. Bans all gatherings of 50 or more people but ironically all mall remain open. 

Several businesses, like Champs or Nike, close their stores for 2 weeks. All theatres are closed as well. Everyone that I know is working from home now. 

Governments provide suggestions so that people defy them

This allows governments to implement restrictions

Trump suggested gathering in groups of less than 10 yesterday. That’s not happening.

Expect very soon in USA for gatherings of more than 10 people to be “against the law”

Hegelian dialect in action

The new report that came out is mind boggling... says the closings/social distancing may have to go on for up to 18 months or until a vaccine is widely available.  Good luck getting people to go along with that.  At some point I think people would just say screw it and if I get sick or die, so be it.

15 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

The new report that came out is mind boggling... says the closings/social distancing may have to go on for up to 18 months or until a vaccine is widely available.  Good luck getting people to go along with that.  At some point I think people would just say screw it and if I get sick or die, so be it.

People aren't following it as it is...all of the stores and other places are packed.

And I don't just mean places like Walmart...I passed Ross, Marshalls, Planet Fitness, X-Sport Fitness and Khol's a bit ago, and they're all busy.

It won’t be the virus keeping you inside for 18 months

10 minutes ago, Chicago Storm said:

People aren't following it as it is...all of the stores and other places are packed.

And I don't just mean places like Walmart...I passed Ross, Marshalls, Planet Fitness, X-Sport Fitness and Khol's a bit ago, and they're all busy.

For real.  I have been trying to talk my mom into not going to the gym.  She is not in the highest risk group but she is later 60s.  She is good with sanitizing the equipment but still.  Most of what she does she could figure out some exercise substitutions at home.  I imagine the decision is going to be taken out of her hands in the very near future anyway.  

• Like 1

This lady yesterday who claimed to be an EMT argued to me her firm belief that COVID 19 had already spread throughout the entire world long before the supposed patient zero was infected. Her evidence included notions such as "lots of people getting sick with bad colds this winter", including herself after she went on vacation.

She tried telling me that all a bad case of COVID-19 really is, is a bad case of pneumonia, but when I asked her what her point was, she sort of just looked at me in disbelief and said it was nice talking to me. I guess she didn't realize that what she was saying argued against her point. I know it sounds a little contrived, but I swear on my life that's exactly how the conversation went.

I'm not trying to be belittling in the slightest, but there's a difference between driving ambulances and studying diseases.

9 minutes ago, CheeselandSkies said:

Does it grind anyone else's gears that the thread for this subject in Off Topic is still titled "Wuhan Coronavirus"? I mean, the whole point of the rather utilitarian official name for the disease was to avoid stigmatizing a particular place and/or people.

I'm going to change it to evil foreign invader so as to not stigmatize a city. 

• Haha 1

For real.  I have been trying to talk my mom into not going to the gym.  She is not in the highest risk group but she is later 60s.  She is good with sanitizing the equipment but still.  Most of what she does she could figure out some exercise substitutions at home.  I imagine the decision is going to be taken out of her hands in the very near future anyway.  

I’m surprised fitness/gym locations were not included, as they have been in other states. Anything non-essential should be locked down, because it’s pretty clear the public isn’t following along when given the chance to do so in their own.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Malacka11 said:

This lady yesterday who claimed to be an EMT argued to me her firm belief that COVID 19 had already spread throughout the entire world long before the supposed patient zero was infected. Her evidence included notions such as "lots of people getting sick with bad colds this winter", including herself after she went on vacation.

She tried telling me that all a bad case of COVID-19 really is, is a bad case of pneumonia, but when I asked her what her point was, she sort of just looked at me in disbelief and said it was nice talking to me. I guess she didn't realize that what she was saying argued against her point. I know it sounds a little contrived, but I swear on my life that's exactly how the conversation went.

I'm not trying to be belittling in the slightest, but there's a difference between driving ambulances and studying diseases.

She’s far from the only one with that belief, given flu and I think Pneumonia deaths being up from past winters and my own experience with a flu/cough.

• Like 2