• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
Coronavirus

Chicago Storm

Came up with a cough, headache, and general feeling of malaise today (no fever).

Under normal circumstances, I would pop some  cough drops into my work bag and take some Tylenol on the way out the door. Now, I am skipping work and preparing to call the doctor if I spike a fever. 

scary times, and it’s going to get worse before it gets better 

• Sad 3

It would seem my time in Puerto Rico was short.

I left back for the states March 11, because I was worried about supply chain there as COVID-19 starts getting worse.

And today basically the whole island is shut down. 5am-9pm you can only leave your house for "permitted activities" I.e. food, doctors, drugs.

All beaches, parks, bars, restaurants, entertainment, is all shit down. Punishable by 6 months in jail and/or $5k fine.

PR is not a place I want to be stuck.

Crap is hitting the fan quickly. Will be highly interesting to see the coming days and weeks.... Stay safe all.

• Like 2

I’m general, things are progressing exponentially worse, day to day.  Reported cases & deaths are lining up shockingly close to Italy’s progression, with about a 10-14 day delay. It appears all but inevitable that the US will need to follow the same steps as Italy, France, and Spain and institute a full 14 day shutdown of non-essential services. 

I would prepare now. Today. There is no need to panic, but if you haven’t obtained a 2-3 week stockpile of your prescription drugs, groceries, baby formula, diapers, etc.; you need to do that now.

People as a whole are stupid. We will continue to ignore the experts. People will continue to go to bars and gatherings even knowing the risks. The easy parallel is the GHD Blizzard. The public was told days in advance to not travel and be prepared for an epic blizzard, yet people were still on the roads and lake shore drive became a parking lot which put other citizens and first responders in danger. Eventually the government is going to have to step in and force us to protect ourselves from our own stupidity. 

I still hear people minimizing the severity. “I don’t know why we are doing this”, “this is bullshit”, “the flu kills far more people”. While it is correct that many of us will hardly notice we get the virus, we owe a duty to protect our friends and family who are at risk. If two weeks of inconvenience is all that takes, we should be jumping at that opportunity. 

Long story short, the curtain is dropping. You still have time to take some precautions and make preparations, but not much. We will get through this, but let’s be smart and prepared. 

F0A9D9D8-BDC3-4E99-BB11-5B30CBD4B889.jpeg

• Like 7

7 hours ago, SchaumburgStormer said:

Came up with a cough, headache, and general feeling of malaise today (no fever).

Under normal circumstances, I would pop some  cough drops into my work bag and take some Tylenol on the way out the door. Now, I am skipping work and preparing to call the doctor if I spike a fever. 

scary times, and it’s going to get worse before it gets better 

I did the same on Friday. No fever, no respiratory problems. I assume that it's just a head cold. So, I stayed home from work and stayed home all weekend. I am working from home today. Not only would people freak out if they hear me coughing, I don't want to be exposed to something worse when my immune system is already taxed.

• Like 1

Was there this kind of panic in 2009 with the swine flu ? Over 12,000 in the U.S. died in that outbreak. Although I realize the numbers are going up, 70 have died so far with this outbreak.

Some may say it’s the restrictions that should concern you more than the virus
  • Thanks 1
  • Weenie 1

2 minutes ago, King James said:

Some may say it’s the restrictions that should concern you more than the virus

It's not really the virus, or the restrictions that concerns me.

It's people. People do really dumb, irrational things when they are scared. People are going to get a lot more scared when we go on a nationwide lock down, and thus people are going to do a lot more dumb, irrational things.

The CDC is walking a brutally fine line. How do you convince the public of the danger of a virus which may only give them mild or moderate symptoms (but kill others, including at risk populations), but at the same time not cause panic? 

• Like 3

If you go back and look at some newspaper headlines from when the 1918 flu was ramping up, it looks strikingly similar to the news headlines now.

The lesson from back then is that distancing/quarantines do help to "flatten the curve", but it has to be done early and aggressively.  Philadelphia was very slow to act back then and they had a much higher illness/death rate than other places in the US that acted more quickly.  St. Louis acted quickly and they were able to keep their rate on the lower side.  But one thing to learn from St. Louis is that they started to loosen their restrictions after about 6 weeks, and then there was an immediate spike in cases there.  So the 8 week guidance that has come out from the CDC seems long, but past experience suggests it may even need to go on longer. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Another 349 deaths in Italy.  They have had their 2 deadliest days back to back.  Eventually the lockdown should start paying off there but I'm sure it seems a bit hopeless right now. 

Yeah, with the incubation period being so long, everything is a week in arrears. Hopefully they peak soon. 

1 hour ago, King James said:

Agree 100%

Happy to live where I live

WeatherBo is set up perfectly

I feel good about where I sit.  Rarely do I see a vehicle I don't recognize, and there's no reason for anyone to even come out here this time of year.  All two-tracks and logging roads are still feet deep with snow.  I'm set with everything I need if things do go worst case scenario in the coming weeks.

Maybe even a snowstorm late week :P

• Like 1

In Canada the PM announced today "All non-Canadian citizens, expect US citizens and other diplomats, will not be allowed to enter Canada along with anyone showing any form of symptoms". All schools and fitness centers are closed. Tourist destinations like the CN Tower are closed and mall hours have been reduced to just 8 hours a day. 

177 total cases in Ontario now. 

Guest ovweather
25 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Gov Holcomb just announced first coronavirus death in Indiana.

First in Kentucky as well, BUT from what the media is saying, both individuals had serious underlying health conditions before they got the virus, so it wasn't the main contributor. Some of these death reports need an asterisk, as many aren't perfectly healthy people who get the virus and then die.

It's interesting that two of the countries with the highest number of smokers worldwide are China and Italy. I wonder how many who have or are dying in these two countries from the virus, also are smokers? As we all know, smoking is lethal to the lungs. Add a new and unknown respiratory illness like Covid-19 into the body of a smoker, well, that's not good.

2 hours ago, Hoosier said:

If you go back and look at some newspaper headlines from when the 1918 flu was ramping up, it looks strikingly similar to the news headlines now.

The lesson from back then is that distancing/quarantines do help to "flatten the curve", but it has to be done early and aggressively.  Philadelphia was very slow to act back then and they had a much higher illness/death rate than other places in the US that acted more quickly.  St. Louis acted quickly and they were able to keep their rate on the lower side.  But one thing to learn from St. Louis is that they started to loosen their restrictions after about 6 weeks, and then there was an immediate spike in cases there.  So the 8 week guidance that has come out from the CDC seems long, but past experience suggests it may even need to go on longer. 

I wonder at what point does it hurt the country too much to go this route?  To think we hurt the economy and homebound citizens for months on end, philosophically you can make a very good argument for Britain’s strategy of herd immunity.

• Weenie 1

2 hours ago, Snowstorms said:

In Canada the PM announced today "All non-Canadian citizens, expect US citizens and other diplomats, will not be allowed to enter Canada along with anyone showing any form of symptoms". All schools and fitness centers are closed. Tourist destinations like the CN Tower are closed and mall hours have been reduced to just 8 hours a day. 

177 total cases in Ontario now. 

Toronto forcing dine-in restaurants to close.  Could face $25k/day fine if defiant.

Thank god we live in an era of Uber eats.

Weather seems so damn irrelevant right now

If this shutdown/isolation culture goes to July,  American small business will be decimated.   70% of our economy's engine is small businesses.   Two weeks ago I told my guys we were heading into an incredible year looking at all the signals.   I was interviewing people and ready to purchase additional vehicles.   

Fast forward 2 weeks ..... this morning I had the 'lay off' talk with my guys, it was the hardest thing Ive had to do.   They're scared to death and I don't blame them.  Is the govt going to bail out millions of small businesses and tens of millions of workers without a paycheck?   What about the big businesses like the airlines?  Apparently the U.S. treasury is populated by rainbow -shtting unicorns running the printing presses.

I hope the powers that be know what the hell they're doing because they've put a stack of chips they can't afford on these distancing policies.  Has anyone asked what the death rate increases to and what the quality of life degrades to when an economy the size of ours collapses?  Degraded health services, suicides, violence etc.  I'm guessing a death toll far greater then even the H1N1.   Or maybe they can look to Venezuela for reference.

I suspect after a few weeks some of these politicians and 'doctors' are going to be forced to re-evaluate how they are leveraging risk.

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

20 minutes ago, King James said:

Uber will be shut down shortly I’d reckon

Maybe for people but even the most stringent lockdowns in Europe (Spain, Italy) I think allow for people to go out for groceries  and for food to be delivered. 

You pay on your app and the guy leaves it on your porch.  It seems way down the list of ways to pass this virus on.