Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Coronavirus

Chicago Storm

3 hours ago, SchaumburgStormer said:

Court systems around the state are going to a “bare bones” mode for the next 30+ days. No jury trials, minimal motions to be heard, etc. 

The kids are absolutely not going to be back in school until mid April at the earliest. Absolute insanity. 

The CDC basically came out and said that 8 week closures would be better than 2-4 weeks.  Should schools go to that, then many may not be returning before the end of the school year.  Does start to create an issue about whether final exams would be administered online. 

1 hour ago, Hoosier said:

The CDC basically came out and said that 8 week closures would be better than 2-4 weeks.  Should schools go to that, then many may not be returning before the end of the school year.  Does start to create an issue about whether final exams would be administered online. 

As long as the supermarkets can stay open, utilities and mail can march on, we can have some semblance of normal life. If there is a supply line disruption, then things are going to get out of hand fast. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, nwohweather said:

Meanwhile here in Charleston no one cares lol. I won't lie though temps are regularly above 70° by now and UV light is very effective at killing bacteria

This is a virus, not bacteria. And Australia, where it’s summer, along with tropical Singapore, have cases coming in. 

I'm no doctor but to me, all other things being equal, it makes sense that warm weather would help slow it down to some extent.  Factors arguing the other way are that this is a novel virus that is very contagious, so perhaps the dropoff rate in warm weather won't be as large as we see with other viruses.  How far we are willing to go with mitigation in the coming weeks could also play a role.

41 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

I'm no doctor but to me, all other things being equal, it makes sense that warm weather would help slow it down to some extent.  Factors arguing the other way are that this is a novel virus that is very contagious, so perhaps the dropoff rate in warm weather won't be as large as we see with other viruses.  How far we are willing to go with mitigation in the coming weeks could also play a role.

Except that it is impacting tropical and subtropical places just as much. Madrid, Barcelona, Northern Italy, Australia. These aren't cold areas. 

7 minutes ago, Stebo said:

Except that it is impacting tropical and subtropical places just as much. Madrid, Barcelona, Northern Italy, Australia. These aren't cold areas. 

Northern Italy isn't exactly warm this time of year.  Touristy places would also counteract that, and these are areas that were popular with tourists when this started to spread.  I grant your Australia inclusion though.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Stebo said:

Yes, that is why I am skeptical of the "warm weather is going to magically eradicate this" argument that some people have been making.  It is a novel virus that nobody has immunity to because, well, it's novel.  All I am saying is that you'd probably rather have it be 90/humid than having more moderate temperatures.

Medical community will be learning a lot more about this no doubt.  

2 hours ago, Hoosier said:

Joe Rogan has a podcast where he has a medical expert on as a guest.. he said the thought that this virus just goes away with the season change is absolutely false. 

A guy in Kentucky refused to self quarantine.  Now this:

In Nelson County, the 53-year-old man who tested positive refused to go into self-isolation, defying medical advice, and had to be forced into home isolation. Law enforcement is currently stationed outside of the man’s home, Beshear said.

https://www.kentucky.com/news/health-and-medicine/article241205151.html

5 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

A guy in Kentucky refused to self quarantine.  Now this:

https://www.kentucky.com/news/health-and-medicine/article241205151.html

I’m sure we all saw the video of the brutal tactics China used to deal with individuals who refused to quarantine...

The next couple weeks are going to be brutal. 

• Like 1