• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Central PA - Spring 2020

2 hours ago, mahantango#1 said:

It reached 91 here yesterday. Why are the high temperatures being underforcasted at times. Seems they are missing that 50% of the time the

last month or so.

I've been asking the same question! I think it goes beyond the past month - even in the winter we often exceed projected high temperatures and fail to reach forecast low temps. Notable exception is when more cloud cover and/or an easterly breeze exceeds predictions...then our temps often bust on the low side. 

Most sunny days seem to warm more then forecast...

1 hour ago, Bubbler86 said:

Looks like that tropical deluge is going to pass to the west of the LSV now (Thursday AM).

Edit just saw this system now has a name.  Tropical Storm Bertha.

Yep, at least over this way it doesn't look like more than a passing shower or two until the front arrives on Friday. 

Didn't know about TS Bertha down by coastal SC.  I'm sure this isn't a record but when was the last time any of you remember there being 2 named systems BEFORE the official start of the hurricane season on June 1st?  When Arthur formed last week I couldn't even remember the last time a named storm came in May.  Anyone else have some stats or memories to share?

Looking at monthly rainfall, much of the central PA regions have seen a below normal month. Average is generally around 3.5-4.0" for most.

Williamsport:

chart.thumb.png.d23e8cc0b78835ca671a28e846604461.png

Harrisburg:

2128826759_chart(2).thumb.png.b2f0d0d2bf06e91bbf42446e6077bb0b.png

And then there's Altoona which is on pace for the driest May on record! Only 1.15" have been recorded there this month. We'll see what the remainder of the week brings.

2006008491_chart(1).thumb.png.c7e7006b894b2ea899533ae7b7b85413.png

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CarlislePaWx said:

Didn't know about TS Bertha down by coastal SC.  I'm sure this isn't a record but when was the last time any of you remember there being 2 named systems BEFORE the official start of the hurricane season on June 1st?  When Arthur formed last week I couldn't even remember the last time a named storm came in May.  Anyone else have some stats or memories to share?

Just 4 years ago we had a named storm in January and May. In 2012 we had 2 named storms which both came in May. 

12 hours ago, CarlislePaWx said:

Am too lazy to find the post, but am pretty sure I saw NWS say it has only happened in 4 previous years.

EDIT: Haha...not like I got sudden ambition - just happened to come across this after having made my post:

"In the Atlantic record of tropical cyclones going back to 1851, only five other years have had two systems recorded to have reached named-storm strength (sustained winds of 39 mph) prior to the June 1 start date of hurricane season. It’s a good bet that at least a few pre-season storms were missed in the pre-satellite era. Here are the known years with two pre-season storms, as compiled by James Kossin (University of Wisconsin–Madison):

1887: Two tropical storms (May)

1908: Hurricane One (March), Hurricane Two (May)

1951: Tropical Storm One (January), Hurricane Able (May)

2012: Tropical Storm Alberto and Tropical Storm Beryl (May)

2016: Hurricane Alex (January), Tropical Storm Bonnie (May) (note that Alex is arguably a late storm from the 2015 season rather than a super-early 2016 storm)"

Full article here: https://www.wunderground.com/cat6/that-was-fast-tropical-storm-bertha-develops-and-makes-landfall-over-south-carolina

8 hours ago, kerplunk said:

Am too lazy to find the post, but am pretty sure I saw NWS say it has only happened in 4 previous years.

EDIT: Haha...not like I got sudden ambition - just happened to come across this after having made my post:

"In the Atlantic record of tropical cyclones going back to 1851, only five other years have had two systems recorded to have reached named-storm strength (sustained winds of 39 mph) prior to the June 1 start date of hurricane season. It’s a good bet that at least a few pre-season storms were missed in the pre-satellite era. Here are the known years with two pre-season storms, as compiled by James Kossin (University of Wisconsin–Madison):

1887: Two tropical storms (May)

1908: Hurricane One (March), Hurricane Two (May)

1951: Tropical Storm One (January), Hurricane Able (May)

2012: Tropical Storm Alberto and Tropical Storm Beryl (May)

2016: Hurricane Alex (January), Tropical Storm Bonnie (May) (note that Alex is arguably a late storm from the 2015 season rather than a super-early 2016 storm)"

Full article here: https://www.wunderground.com/cat6/that-was-fast-tropical-storm-bertha-develops-and-makes-landfall-over-south-carolina

Wow!  Many thanks for posting this info.  So I was at least partially right that 2 named systems in May are rare.  While I remember the names of the early storms from 2016 and 2012 I wouldn't have remembered them having hit within the past 8 years.  My own personal opinion on the January storms is that even though the calendar year was new, it was less than 2 months after the end of the preceding season whereas the current year's season still had over 4 months to go before starting.  So the January storms belong in the previous year...imo.

22 minutes ago, CarlislePaWx said:

My own personal opinion on the January storms is that even though the calendar year was new, it was less than 2 months after the end of the preceding season whereas the current year's season still had over 4 months to go before starting.  So the January storms belong in the previous year...imo.

I agree.

Am curious what you guys think about this site. Personally, it kind of blows my mind in terms of usability, overall design, and wealth of available info. Some really smart programming went into this to make it load quickly and have a pretty much seamless interaction. All while being highly customizable to your personal preferences.  And they're always improving and coming out with new features. Pretty impressive, imo.

Windy.com