• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Central PA - Spring 2020

Pretty impressive miss for the local area lol. Arthur sliding east up the coast and out and the cutoff low that is progged to slowly drop down west, and then under us. Quite a satellite presentation. You can even see a bit of another counter-clockwise spin in Southern Alabama.

CODNEXLAB-GOES-East-continental-conus-truecolor-19_06Z-20200518_map_-29-1n-10-100.thumb.gif.0900ebcaaee98a073558c0138e207b26.gif

LOOP

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Cashtown_Coop said:

Calmer than calm in Fairfield.   We are night and day sometimes 

At this risk of waking Canderson I found out about it when I heard a large sound and my trash can had been drug across the driveway.  Is there a good wind speed map that you are aware of.  Would be interesting to see where I am getting this from while you are somehow now when it is coming from the east/south-east. 

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

At this risk of waking Canderson I found out about it when I heard a large sound and my trash can had been drug across the driveway.  Is there a good wind speed map that you are aware of.  Would be interesting to see where I am getting this from while you are somehow now when it is coming from the east/south-east. 

Not sure how accurate it is, and it defaults to temperature, so you have to use the pull down menu to get to wind speed and gusts, but you can try it. Now it is set to my location, but you can move and zoom the map, and perhaps enter your coordinates to make it local for you.

https://darksky.net/forecast/40.7995,-75.9519/us12/en

2 minutes ago, Voyager said:

Not sure how accurate it is, and it defaults to temperature, so you have to use the pull down menu to get to wind speed and gusts, but you can try it. Now it is set to my location, but you can move and zoom the map, and perhaps enter your coordinates to make it local for you.

https://darksky.net/forecast/40.7995,-75.9519/us12/en

Thanks.  It has sustained at 11 which is probably close to correct as it is just the gusts that have been up there...but had it out of the west which was not correct.  

58 minutes ago, Cashtown_Coop said:

Wind def picked up today.  Not gusting to 30 though.   A real stellar day.   

I am seeing some 40 MPH gusts now through the state though think we peaked low 30's here.  I love how being on the side (albeit it the bottom of the side) of a mountain does add some interest to normally bland days.   Saw a 38 near Lancaster a few minutes ago. 

Just heard we have a tree down in Wayne Heights that hit a house (just east of Waynesboro).    I believe this is probably the strongest easterly wind I have seen since living here.  Almost all of our strong winds have a westerly component to them...at least the last two years.   Apparently Philly is getting rocked with mid 40 gusts now.    Getting regular gusts here near 40 now.  Crazy. 

2 hours ago, Cashtown_Coop said:

Wind def picked up today.  Not gusting to 30 though.   A real stellar day.   

44 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

Just heard we have a tree down in Wayne Heights that hit a house (just east of Waynesboro).    I believe this is probably the strongest easterly wind I have seen since living here.  Almost all of our strong winds have a westerly component to them...at least the last two years.   Apparently Philly is getting rocked with mid 40 gusts now.    Getting regular gusts here near 40 now.  Crazy. 

I'm not good at estimating winds but it's blowing pretty good here - I'd say 10-20 mph sustained with gusts around 30. 

4 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

I'm not good at estimating winds but it's blowing pretty good here - I'd say 10-20 mph sustained with gusts around 30. 

NWS even mentioned how this event is not the norm:

Winds this strong from the east are ranked near the max
with respect to anomalies for this date in late May. Typically
this time of year may feature gusty and highly anomalous south
or westerly winds, but it`s very rare to see winds this
persistent and strong form the east.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bubbler86 said:

Just peeked at the LR GFS.  Summer keeps getting postponed/pushed back.  I thought I saw the LSV getting into the 40's in early June.  Some low 80's days mixed in but certainly no sustained heat through first week of June.  

i'm ok with that until about the last week in June, then i need some heat and Sun. 

4 hours ago, sauss06 said:

i'm ok with that until about the last week in June, then i need some heat and Sun. 

12Z GFS took out any days from making 80 between now and June 4th with two of the first 4 nights in June in the 40's.  Even if that was correct I suspect we still hit 80 at least 1-2 days due to the continued underestimating of high temps in the LSV but still a very nice start to summer! Keeps the bills down a bit. 

2 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

12Z GFS took out any days from making 80 between now and June 4th with two of the first 4 nights in June in the 40's.  Even if that was correct I suspect we still hit 80 at least 1-2 days due to the continued underestimating of high temps in the LSV but still a very nice start to summer! Keeps the bills down a bit. 

I like how you think! 

• Like 1