• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Central PA - Spring 2020

1 minute ago, TheDreamTraveler said:

Well I never expected to see it snowing at 2 pm on May 9th...

Yep!  Finally got hit with a decent almost squall-like snow shower.  Large flakes this time.  Only lasted a few minutes then a few more minutes with finer flakes.  Took the temp down from 42 to 38 degrees in less than 5 minutes.  I videoed this one for posterity.  :snowing::shiver:

While there's some rain around that could screw this up, this is what we're potentially looking at for highs this coming Friday currently. There's going to be a few more cold nights to get thru the first half of this week though. 

ecmwf-deterministic-pennsylvania-t2m_f-9565600.thumb.png.79e02dffe5772c31495cf3307426e633.png

I drove through one of the craziest snow squalls I've seen in a while. Snowing sideways super hard...so hard that the mountains were completely whited out. I've never seen anything like this so far into spring. It was so cold out but when I got into my car it was way too hot due to the May sun angle. Basically felt like how hot my car gets outside in the sun in the summer yet the outside felt like January despite everything being green or blooming lmao After I drove out of the squall I started seeing bugs out lol

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, TheDreamTraveler said:

I drove through one of the craziest snow squalls I've seen in a while. Snowing sideways super hard...so hard that the mountains were completely whited out. I've never seen anything like this so far into spring. It was so cold out but when I got into my car it was way too hot due to the May sun angle. Basically felt like how hot my car gets outside in the sun in the summer yet the outside felt like January despite everything being green or blooming lmao After I drove out of the squall I started seeing bugs out lol

Where were you at when you hit the squall?

1 hour ago, TheDreamTraveler said:

A lot of places smashed their daytime minimum records. Harrisburg's coldest high temp in history for the entire month of May was 48 in 1947. I don't think it got over 45 today...

At the 5pm daily summary, it looks like MDT recorded a high temp of 46 with a Trace of snow!

History making weather today!

• Like 1

Looking over the stations that CTP gave numbers for record minimum highs on.. MDT at 46ºF beat theirs by two degrees, Altoona by 1 (40ºF), and IPT (46ºF) and Bradford (34ºF) tied their record values. Browsing the Laurel's stations on the mesowest site, JST and a couple of the stations reporting in Cambria/Somerset barely got above freezing... while a few stations in the Laurel Ridge area near Seven Spring's did not go above freezing at all. 

What's really amazing about these min/max temps is the fact that it was achieved on a day that had a fair amount of sunshine in between the clouds/snow showers. Just shows how cold the airmass was. And it even ended up that the core of the 500 low and -40º 500mb temps did in fact only swing through upstate New York/southern New England (hat tip to the Euro).