• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Central PA - Spring 2020

1 minute ago, Blizzard of 93 said:

It’s just remarkable that snow keeps even showing up on several model runs this late for our region.

I don’t recall ever tracking a even a remote chance in May!

Weather World 12 days trends was nothing but cold air and much below normal temps.    Really cold around mothers day

35 minutes ago, Cashtown_Coop said:

Weather World 12 days trends was nothing but cold air and much below normal temps.    Really cold around mothers day

I used to watch Weather World every day back when I was growing up, especially in the Fall & Winter. Fred, Paul, Elliott & many others that ended up at Accuweather were forecasters that I looked forward to watching every day.

Also, my good old weather radio would update the CTP forecast in the early evening. Then, during the 6 pm news, I would flip around the 3 local TV channels to try to catch the weather on each station. The Weather Channel “local on the 8’s” and their long range 7 day forecast once an hour were something to look forward to as well.

Before the internet was around, these were the things that weather fans needed to do to get the weather.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bubbler86 said:

The cold air in the models might be better than the 74 and 70% humidity weather today.  A big old yuck. 74 and 30% and I will take it :-).  It might get to 80 today if the sun were out.  

There’s a breeze here & I don’t feel any humidity outside right now. We will be begging for a day like this in July!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Voyager said:

All I'm gonna say is that this is bull shit...

It's May for Christ's sake. Lets warm it up. I'm just sick of this cold and I'm even more sick of hearing about any kind of snow chance. The trees are greening up. My garden is starting to look good. (Bleeding hearts, Tulips, etc). I don't want ANYTHING that will possibly damage them.

I said back on Tuesday last week I was concerned with the pattern and late freeze potential during the first half of May in terms of gardening/farming. If you have a reasonable way to protect your garden (like covering plants), I'd def look into doing so.. especially the period next weekend thru likely several days beyond that where low temps below freezing look like a strong likelihood at least a time or two. 

9 minutes ago, Blizzard of 93 said:

I think that I am turning over a new leaf !

I just commented on current conditions and didn’t mention the “s” word! 

This summer when there is no current snow maps to post will you be posting maps from the past?  There is nothing like looking at a snow map when it's 100 degrees and a dewpoint of 80. Maybe I'm the one who turned a new leaf. Lol!

Seeing the forecast maps for later next weekend and having them show accumulating snow for parts of the LSV would almost have to be unprecedented for so late in the season.  I'm dumbfounded over the strength of the perfect winter weather pattern that refused to show itself throughout this past winter season.  I'm reminiscing again.  I'm going back in time to the absolute latest date I ever witnessed snowflakes flying in the air.  It's easy to remember since I was a senior in high school and only 5 weeks from graduating.  The year...1977.  The month...May.  I remembered that the snow came right after Mother's Day.  Before checking the calendar I figured Mother's Day had to have been very early.  After checking, I was correct.  Mother's Day was the earliest it can ever be, May 8th.  I remember thinking back that Accuweather was talking about an exceptionally cold airmass would be invading all of the northeast following a strong cold front that would pass through the area during Sunday evening.  It would be a cold and blustery day following on Monday.  So, the date was Monday, May 9th, 1977.  I was sitting in my classroom around 2:00 or so in the afternoon.  The skies darkened considerably while the winds were blowing.  And then it happened.  Snowflakes began falling and flying through the air.  I don't think it ever reached squall strength.  But, for a period of time I witnessed something I had never seen before nor have ever seen since....snow in the month of May in northern New Jersey.  Will we see a Mother's Day repeat 43 years later??

I've witnessed May snow twice and it was in a two year period... May 12, 2008 on the heels of a very deep coastal low and also May 11, 2010, the latter of which I have pictures of. It can and does happen. 

The pic was taken at a place that was about 1700' elevation. 

1374415187_ScreenShot2020-05-03at3_07_39PM.png.6aa83f74915213beccdf29e5d7b057d1.png

5 hours ago, paweather said:

Blizz what have I been saying! LOL. Still holding hope

Well, the 18z GEFS is on board for CTP snow next weekend.10 of the individual ensemble members even get snow into the LSV. A couple of them would be very nice snow hits.

I just had to double check the calendar... unbelievable that this is even on the table!

817DDBDE-C7C3-4D23-9AAB-9E552B87E284.png

5AF6A5CB-8133-44F3-B78A-946CB28239B8.png

11 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Fortunately, most of us are missing a sneaky but solid rain producer JUST to our south this evening. 1-2 inches of rain would have presented some issues with how high the main stem Susquehanna is still running. 

I was just about to post that we have had about three quarters of an inch since 8pm.  Pours then relents then pours again... really comes down at times.  Very tropical.  Still 71.  75 in the house!

50 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

I was just about to post that we have had about three quarters of an inch since 8pm.  Pours then relents then pours again... really comes down at times.  Very tropical.  Still 71.  75 in the house!

I was hoping you would post because I was wondering how much rain you were getting. That's impressive that far north! 

1 hour ago, Bubbler86 said:

How many footsteps do you live from the Maryland border again?