• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Central PA - Spring 2020

20 minutes ago, Blizzard of 93 said:

So we were both not crazy when we said it might snow in this region today....

I'd be seeing it if there were heavier precip overhead. It's really light right now and there looked like some wet snowflakes in there but I don't have the rates. Cams in Somerset have snow on the ground and now the Sideling Hill cam east of Breezewood (Fulton Co) on Rt 30 has snow on the ground under that area of heavier precip. If that progresses eastward, some of those ridges along the southern tier further east are probably going to change over. 

1830729899_ScreenShot2020-04-14at7_29_03PM.png.29955d85b6f8829058ddbbbc402c11d5.png

Edit: I can confirm a few flakes now

5 hours ago, Blizzard of 93 said:

@MAG5035

What do you think of the the chance of some More CTP snow this Friday?

The 12z Euro & Canadian were very interesting today for this late season snow chance.

This week is likely to be the last week until later this fall for prospects of the wintry kind in the majority of PA. There's 3 disturbances on the models that have been showing up for this week, with this evening's system being one of them. Another weaker disturbance passes through tomorrow evening (Wed night). This one arrives from the west and it doesn't look like it's going to make it over the western mountains precip wise. But there will probably be another light accumulation in the Laurels and potentially more flakes to be seen in western PA and the immediate central off the Laurels. 

Friday's system looks like the strongest of the 3. Track of the system is going to dictate how far south any snowfall gets. I'd like the prospects of north-central above I-80 by the looks of things. 0z Euro has come north a tad more where the GFS/NAM reside. 0z GEFS spread has some members with a swath into the heart of PA lending to a more robust snowfall mean into places like UNV (sort of jived with the Canadian), but generally it's swath is running I-80 and above. This could be a solid event for whoever sees it, especially for the time of the year. 850 air in place ahead of the system will be sufficiently cold (-6ºC or so over most of PA prior), which is about 10ºC below average for this time of the year. If the track of the low ends up trending south, so will the prospects of a very late season snowfall with it. Northern PA/southern tier NY is the safe bet right now, and where I'm eyeing this potential to be most likely. 

28 minutes ago, Voyager said:

Didn't a lot of us mention that once we got into April we'd see the pattern flip and "winter" would finally hit? Well, here we are...

Yea, this weeks weather is terrible.  Just warm enough to be mostly rain but not at all pleasant to get out. Weekend looks worse and worse as we get closer. 

48 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

Yea, this weeks weather is terrible.  Just warm enough to be mostly rain but not at all pleasant to get out. Weekend looks worse and worse as we get closer. 

Have to disagree with you on this one - we went for a walk on Monday at 6pm and it was sunny and 70 degrees. Went out yesterday at noon and it was sunny and nearly 60, which with a strong mid-April sun felt very warm. The next 2 days will feature more sun, and while a bit cooler than normal, it's going to feel just fine in the sun.

This might not be "ideal" spring weather for some, but I think calling this weather terrible is a little much. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Have to disagree with you on this one - we went for a walk on Monday at 6pm and it was sunny and 70 degrees. Went out yesterday at noon and it was sunny and nearly 60, which with a strong mid-April sun felt very warm. The next 2 days will feature more sun, and while a bit cooler than normal, it's going to feel just fine in the sun.

This might not be "ideal" spring weather for some, but I think calling this weather terrible is a little much. 

I was mostly looking at the zones showing temps staying at or near 50 into the weekend with on and off rain.  Tomorrow may not break 45.  If its not windy it will not be too bad.  Most of my disdain is pointed toward the ugly Friday and Saturday forecast. 

25 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

So far i'm digging the past couple days. I was expecting Monday to suck, turned out great. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

To me, this is perfect spring weather we're in right now. Temps ranging from 50-70 daily...we'll have our share of warmer (as in HOT) weather soon enough.

I have a row of 100 year old lilacs in my yard. This is perfect weather for them to be outstanding. If it gets too hot too quick, they suck. 

On the subject of deaths it sounds like about the same amount today (did not see exact amount) but they just said that half of the overall deaths have occurred at nursing homes.   That is an important figure that I think needs mentioned.  Does not make the virus any less dangerous but all data should be presented to be fair as to how its affecting all parts of the state. 

• Like 1

PAZ004-005-010-011-017-161930-
Warren-McKean-Elk-Cameron-Clearfield-
326 PM EDT Wed Apr 15 2020

This Hazardous Weather Outlook is for central Pennsylvania.

.DAY ONE...This afternoon and tonight.

A cold front will produce a band of locally heavy snow late this
afternoon and this evening over the Northwest Mountains and parts of
the West Central Mountains. Up to one inch per hour rates are
possible between 5 pm and 9 pm, and temperatures will locally fall
to around freezing, causing dangerous travel through mid evening.

1 hour ago, Voyager said:

Sounds like Trump is going to recommend the Wyoming's and Idaho's of the world to start opening up some (tomorrow).  The businesses I am involved with keep hearing Tom Wolf is aiming for May 20th in PA. 

1 hour ago, Bubbler86 said:

Sounds like Trump is going to recommend the Wyoming's and Idaho's of the world to start opening up some (tomorrow).  The businesses I am involved with keep hearing Tom Wolf is aiming for May 20th in PA. 

Mid May could be doable, but probably on a limited basis. Theme parks, theaters, and any other large gathering places maybe not so much. I'm still afraid of opening up to soon and then having to shut it right back down again because the virus came back with a vengeance...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Voyager said:

Mid May could be doable, but probably on a limited basis. Theme parks, theaters, and any other large gathering places maybe not so much. I'm still afraid of opening up to soon and then having to shut it right back down again because the virus came back with a vengeance...

I'm a season pass holder at Hersheypark. We received an email from them yesterday stating that they hope to open in early June. We'll see...