• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Central PA - Spring 2020

21 minutes ago, Wmsptwx said:

Lol no tournament and nba playoffs pegged my depression meter pretty good.

There is an article at SI.com right now saying NCAA AD's are facing the reality of no football and some are saying this could change NCAA forever.  Somewhat ironic this happened right when paying players was gaining acceptance. It's a somber article. 

15 hours ago, Blizzard of 93 said:

Come on , you just broke a rule on here...

Thou shalt not mention JB !

I personally love the man & watch his videos every day. But on here, everyone seems to think it is outrageous if you mention him, despite him being a long time professional meteorologist that is a published author & appears on national radio & network television.

LOL...Love JB listened to him on my local AM station back as a kid. He mentioned me in one of his segments. Loved it!

On 4/5/2020 at 6:14 PM, canderson said:

Gentlemen, it’s going to get bad before it gets worse. 

I wouldn’t expect retail to open before July 4.  

We are huge Broadway fans and attend 20 or so shows a year. I don’t expect them to reopen this year.  

They did just announce they are officially closed until early June.   

47 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

They did just announce they are officially closed until early June.   

Yeah everything around here was pushed back until at least June and some things in June were cancelled outright. I hate to say it but with lack of vaccine we could be waiting quite awhile for normal retail/restaurants to function normally and for sports to resume or any normal gatherings.

30 minutes ago, Wmsptwx said:

Yeah everything around here was pushed back until at least June and some things in June were cancelled outright. I hate to say it but with lack of vaccine we could be waiting quite awhile for normal retail/restaurants to function normally and for sports to resume or any normal gatherings.

Either that or people get a pin or badge when they have overcome the virus.  Would be like the end of the Eye of the Beholder Twilight zone episode.  Two separate groups of humans. 

About the only positive to this situation is the environmental impact from all the measures in place having a large portion of the world economy on pause and everyone staying home and doing very little driving. If there was ever an ideal time to study, compare, and observe just how much we impact the environment pollution wise.. it's right now. 

For example, India is one of the worst countries in the world for air pollution, and now in the middle of their 21-day shutdown the Himalayas are visible from 100 miles away in some portions of the country which hasn't happened in decades. 

https://weather.com/health/coronavirus/video/himalayas-visible-for-first-time-in-30-years-due-to-lockdown

https://www.sbs.com.au/language/english/audio/himalayas-visible-for-first-time-in-30-years-as-pollution-levels-in-india-drop

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, MAG5035 said:

About the only positive to this situation is the environmental impact from all the measures in place having a large portion of the world economy on pause and everyone staying home and doing very little driving. If there was ever an ideal time to study, compare, and observe just how much we impact the environment pollution wise.. it's right now. 

For example, India is one of the worst countries in the world for air pollution, and now in the middle of their 21-day shutdown the Himalayas are visible from 100 miles away in some portions of the country which hasn't happened in decades. 

https://weather.com/health/coronavirus/video/himalayas-visible-for-first-time-in-30-years-due-to-lockdown

https://www.sbs.com.au/language/english/audio/himalayas-visible-for-first-time-in-30-years-as-pollution-levels-in-india-drop

I saw the report on how Wuhan had cleared out as well.  I think many of the planes are still flying albeit it fairly empty but car pollution has really curtailed back.  This would also have an effect on people who are allergic or affected by the smog.  Saw another article that said weather forecasts could in theory be less reliable due to less readings coming from some planes that have cancelled flying.  

• Like 1

The magnolia tree started blooming this week and is in full bloom today, roughly 10-12 days earlier than last year. Also did the first full grass cut as well. Guess we’re getting late spring out of the way when it reverts to March later this month. 

from yesterday:

D3B2461C-EA49-41CB-BB3A-5BA2FFB0854C.jpeg

Screw that. Our hyacinths, azaleas, and tulips are in flower. My wife's bleeding heart is about 4-5 inches out of the ground, and my grass seed is just starting to germinate. If it couldn't snow when it was supposed to, then I sure as hell don't want to see snow now...

7 minutes ago, Voyager said:

Screw that. Our hyacinths, azaleas, and tulips are in flower. My wife's bleeding heart is about 4-5 inches out of the ground, and my grass seed is just starting to germinate. If it couldn't snow when it was supposed to, then I sure as hell don't want to see snow now...

NO snow on the GFS anymore but still going to be a couple cold weekends.  Makes for terrible timing...harder to get out and do the social distancing work out thing  when it is windy and cold. 

8 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

NO snow on the GFS anymore but still going to be a couple cold weekends.  Makes for terrible timing...harder to get out and do the social distancing work out thing  when it is windy and cold. 

True that. I've found that my morale is a bit higher when it's fair and warm. I'll go take a walk or work in the yard. Yesterday I power washed the front of the house and the porch. When it's cold, or cloudy and rainy, all I want to do is crawl back into bed and do nothing.

Meh - we have a cooler pattern upcoming for sure, but it's not going to be THAT bad. During our "cold snap" last week, as soon as the sun came out it felt really good despite the temperature being only around 50. A 50 degree day in mid April feels nothing like a 50 degree day in January...

Now when it's raining and 50 - that might be a little depressing. :) 

1 hour ago, Voyager said:

No offense Blizz - but I couldn't agree with Steve more with this. All of my plants and veggies are running a few weeks early and I say let them grow! 

There's something reassuring about seeing things in bloom right now despite the doom and gloom all around us. 

• Thanks 1

And once again we have dropped below 1000mb for pressure as the strong cold front approaches.  As of this writing at 10:30am I'm down to 992mb or 29.29".  Get ready for the winds that will flood into here following the frontal passage.  It will definitely feel like early March instead of early April.

1 hour ago, Itstrainingtime said:

No offense Blizz - but I couldn't agree with Steve more with this. All of my plants and veggies are running a few weeks early and I say let them grow! 

There's something reassuring about seeing things in bloom right now despite the doom and gloom all around us. 

100% agree............ i really don't want the wind either. 

i'll take sunny and 70 please..................and a cold beer :drunk:

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Blizzard of 93 said:

The 18z GEFS was a great run for those of us hoping for a very late winter storm next week.

This run was decent even using mid-winter standards. A few of the individual ensemble members would be epic.

Here is to dreaming a little dream of the .000000000001 % chance of getting measurable snow next week !

BD7ED653-3255-4FA7-AC14-3DE2F920E70D.png

4E8022CC-6979-4101-8FFC-8196E7FC97BF.png

Love it! I'm still holding out hope! 

Rain came in just like a snow squall.  Winds gusted to 28 and torrential rain with low visibility.  Picked up 0.16" in less than 10 minutes.  Just as fast as it came in, it left and there are breaks in the clouds.  But, radar shows a second line of storms coming in about 30 minutes.  That second line is probably the front since my pressure is just steady at 29.30".

32 minutes ago, CarlislePaWx said:

Rain came in just like a snow squall.  Winds gusted to 28 and torrential rain with low visibility.  Picked up 0.16" in less than 10 minutes.  Just as fast as it came in, it left and there are breaks in the clouds.  But, radar shows a second line of storms coming in about 30 minutes.  That second line is probably the front since my pressure is just steady at 29.30".

25 minutes ago, canderson said:

Damn someone turned on a firehouse outside to full blast.

That was very impressive here...near zero visibility with heavy rain and strong winds. It was very reminiscent of a snow squall...without the snow. :(