Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Central PA - Spring 2020

10 minutes ago, Blizzard of 93 said:

Thank you .......great post !

I’ll enjoy whatever flakes that I get tomorrow morning. 

@Itstrainingtime  , I didn’t see you post much on this storm. Thanks for chiming in!

I posted a few times actually. I gave it about as much attention as I honestly felt it warranted. (For our local area)

I did say a few days ago in response to a post that Williamsport made that I thought areas in the northern mountains might very well receive a nice snowfall.

I am NOT disparaging you or discouraging you from chasing. But please don't get upset at others who aren't. 

12 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

I posted a few times actually. I gave it about as much attention as I honestly felt it warranted. (For our local area)

I did say a few days ago in response to a post that Williamsport made that I thought areas in the northern mountains might very well receive a nice snowfall.

I am NOT disparaging you or discouraging you from chasing. But please don't get upset at others who aren't. 

Sorry, I’m just beyond frustrated with this winter season. 

I thought this storm held a little more promise.

Thankfully snow becomes virtually impossible in couple of weeks here.

We can try again next season !

2 minutes ago, Blizzard of 93 said:

Yes, of course me too !

But apparently the cool thing to go is give up & dismiss everything as a failure before the event.  

Posters like you & I that post maps & a little analysis are just fools.

It’s okay brother hope you get some white stuff tomorrow and please don’t stop...I’ll get you into severe so you can use your acumen for that too ;) I was a little negative/edgy yesterday but you honestly are appreciated by many here.

Just now, Blizzard of 93 said:

Yes, of course me too !

But apparently the cool thing to go is give up & dismiss everything as a failure before the event.  

LOL, none of us are fools and most everyone here very much appreciates what you are doing so do not take offense to it.  We are seemingly about to go into a very dark time for our country so we all need to band together to get through this and forums like this one help us have an outlet and friends to talk with.  There is a good chance many of us here are going to be unemployed soon so the lack of snow is going to be not important.  Still this winter season is apparently going to go down as the worst on record for MDT.

4 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

LOL, none of us are fools and most everyone here very much appreciates what you are doing so do not take offense to it.  We are seemingly about to go into a very dark time for our country so we all need to band together to get through this and forums like this one help us have an outlet and friends to talk with.  There is a good chance many of us here are going to be unemployed soon so the lack of snow is going to be not important.  Still this winter season is apparently going to go down as the worst on record for MDT.

Well said! You are absolutely right.

Sorry everyone for my frustration today.

I enjoy this place & all of the posters.

I wish everyone & their families well during this time & always.

10 minutes ago, Wmsptwx said:

It’s okay brother hope you get some white stuff tomorrow and please don’t stop...I’ll get you into severe so you can use your acumen for that too ;) I was a little negative/edgy yesterday but you honestly are appreciated by many here.

Thanks, maybe I’ll get more into the other seasons this year. I have a lot to learn about this fascinating weather hobby. I am starting to appreciate all of seasons more each year, but winter storm tracking will always be my favorite.

1 hour ago, Blizzard of 93 said:

Yes, of course me too !

I just want to add to this - there is a fine line between being negative and being realistic. I really hope this makes sense...

People have been negative and given up repeatedly this "winter" season for good reason. We were in a horrid pattern for snow. We struggled to get snow in the heart of winter when even when we're in a hostile pattern we often get SOMETHING...but this winter lady luck was missing. Now, if the pattern was ripe for snow and there was very good reasoning to believe it was going to snow based on the pattern, then dismissing snow chances would be not only negative but also stupid. But...

That's not what was happening in this thread this winter. People were being realistic - a point that I, and others tried to make over and over again. I'll be honest...when the pattern is as godawful as it's been, I don't give a flying you know what any snow map looks like. Reason why? Well, the ground truth spoke volumes to that. 

It sort of upset me this winter when I was one that was being labeled as negative. If calling things the way that they really are is being negative, then so be it. But just as someone is foolish for dismissing something in a good pattern, it's just as foolish to keep expecting snow when the pattern is putrid. And now we're in a season where we (S/E of the mountains) need some luck to score. We need something better than what we have now. 

Bottom line - it's frustrating when you're surrounded by negativity. It kills morale and is generally unhealthy. But negative is NOT always the same as being realistic. And what I saw in this thread this winter was a whole lot of realism. At least from the "negative" people. 

Let's all keep a good thing going here and work to understand that we're all different but still share the same love. From that we might diverge but that's okay...we can all respect each other and "treat" others respectfully. :) 

- MIke

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

I just want to add to this - there is a fine line between being negative and being realistic. I really hope this makes sense...

People have been negative and given up repeatedly this "winter" season for good reason. We were in a horrid pattern for snow. We struggled to get snow in the heart of winter when even when we're in a hostile pattern we often get SOMETHING...but this winter lady luck was missing. Now, if the pattern was ripe for snow and there was very good reasoning to believe it was going to snow based on the pattern, then dismissing snow chances would be not only negative but also stupid. But...

That's not what was happening in this thread this winter. People were being realistic - a point that I, and others tried to make over and over again. I'll be honest...when the pattern is as godawful as it's been, I don't give a flying you know what any snow map looks like. Reason why? Well, the ground truth spoke volumes to that. 

It sort of upset me this winter when I was one that was being labeled as negative. If calling things the way that they really are is being negative, then so be it. But just as someone is foolish for dismissing something in a good pattern, it's just as foolish to keep expecting snow when the pattern is putrid. And now we're in a season where we (S/E of the mountains) need some luck to score. We need something better than what we have now. 

Bottom line - it's frustrating when you're surrounded by negativity. It kills morale and is generally unhealthy. But negative is NOT always the same as being realistic. And what I saw in this thread this winter was a whole lot of realism. At least from the "negative" people. 

Let's all keep a good thing going here and work to understand that we're all different but still share the same love. From that we might diverge but that's okay...we can all respect each other and "treat" others respectfully. :) 

- MIke

Well said ! We do have good thing going here. I enjoy this place & it is a large part of the winter fun for me each season.

Sometimes, I let my eternal optimism get the best of me. I thought that we had a legit chance this time of a decent light to moderate event.

I also think that I realized that the end of snow chances is very near. This latest & maybe final disappointment of the season got to me. 

There is way too much going on in the world now to get upset by the lack of snow. 

My best wishes to you & your family.

Also, I hope that all of us make it through this difficult time as best as possible.

-Mike (there are lots of us Mikes out there!)

• Like 2

I don't think this storm is necessarily a loss track-wise, the main issue is what I mentioned the other day about precip intensity vs very marginal temperatures. Although, I suppose a bump NW with this initial shield of WAA precip doesn't help with the earlier portion of this event where the best chance for initial snowfall is.. esp central and SE. It's chilly and quite dry in front of this system, like last week. The snow potential on the lead up this week was certainly viable.. If we had a solid slug of moderate to heavy precip targeting the region late tonight into tomorrow morning, most of us would likely be receiving an accumulating wet snowfall. The problem is a separation from the initial precip which seems destined more toward the north central and the blossoming precip associated with the developing coastal low. Timing of the latter is later tomorrow, when the strong high (which doesn't have extremely cold air to be tapped anyways) is off to the east and the delay in the onset of more decent precip allows for daytime warming of the already highly marginal low level temps. Thus, we still have a viable snow threat in the north central region (esp at higher elevations) where this initial wave of precip will impact the most and where it will remain just barely cold enough as the coastal takes over. Unfortunately for the central and Sus Valley, whatever potential flakes may be seen is going to be dependent on if we can develop a band of WAA precip. Early looks at the HRRR haven't been too enthused about that. The radar looks okay (much better for the north central eventually) but one has to be mindful of the dry air in place. 

Just another case of close but not enough... fundamentally the same problems are still there. I still think the continued +AO coupled with the quietly persistent -PNA is outdoing what the recently turned negative EPO regime could have done for our region without that counterbalance. The AO is at nearly +5 right now, and the pattern alignment over the CONUS favoring eastern ridging at 500mb won't allow for this system to really amp. The EPO may have helped enough to finally get something under us, but we're not cold enough...and we're way late in the season to rely on marginal. The system later this week may well take about the same track as tomorrow's system, but it doesn't appear that it will have enough cold to work with outside of the higher north central. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Horst: (Did anyone see it?)

In case you missed it, light snow was officially reported at Lancaster airport ~5:30am...a whimpering end to sad winter for snow lovers.

Apparently it snowed and the ground was white around 2am. I only know as my BIL posted a RING video as someone was wandering our village trying to break into vehicles. When i left for work the ground was just wet :wacko: 

13 minutes ago, canderson said:

At 2 p.m., Wolf is announcing a two week stay-at-home order beginning at 8 p.m. tonight. 

There aren’t resources in the state to deal with cases that exist as its escalating quickly. 

Isn’t that already in place kinda? Lol all these things sound different but say generally the same things.