• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Central PA - Spring 2020

Just now, daxx said:

Sorry to hear this.  I know what it's like to be unemployed.  I was in construction back in  2008.  It was a real struggle for years until I got the job I have now.  I hope you and your family are working soon.

Thanks man.  We'll be ok, but I'm more concerned about the "coming back" part.  We should have jobs to come back to, but the damage to business/industries is being done, and we wont just ROAR back in action.  It will take months and months.  That's when the real damage to non tax payer funded industries will be realized.  This has been my worry for some time....and NO....I'm not forgetting for one second about the root cause for this.  We need a steady hand on the wheel, and I will say that the federal response has been comprehensive and overall, I think they are doing a rather admirable job....all things considered.  Yes, there are challenges and shortcomings for sure, but given the overall scope of the situation.....

I suggested over a week ago that we need to be cautious at how hard we sound the alarms for this very reason.  We cannot afford fear and panic to overwhelm....and we are teetering.  

Be well everyone.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sauss06 said:

You're correct. Yet home improvement places stay open? I mean, if people don't have money coming in, who the F is going to do home improvements?  

I can understand the theory behind it.  There is no way to practice social distancing on a large, active construction site yet peoples stuff will still break during this time frame some home improvement stores will need to be open if possible.   

• Like 1

Just now, Bubbler86 said:

The way I understand it all construction sites had to shut down today with the Governors order so if that cascades to other states construction is going to be a HUGE furlough target.  

Yea...I am so glad to be out of construction. I was in housing construction for 16 years. When it's booming times are great, but after 2008 I would never want to get back into it again.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, daxx said:

Yea...I am so glad to be out of construction. I was in housing construction for 16 years. When it's booming times are great, but after 2008 I would never want to get back into it again.

I am in construction right now but the corporate side of it.   If they shut down our job sites I cannot see the company staying open (furlough). 

1 minute ago, Bubbler86 said:

I am in construction right now but the corporate side of it.   If they shut down our job sites I cannot see the company staying open (furlough). 

We can only hope this ends quick, but I just don't see this happening. It is really crazy to see how the whole world changed in 10 days.

Just now, daxx said:

We can only hope this ends quick, but I just don't see this happening. It is really crazy to see how the whole world changed in 10 days.

Yep.  With some areas now cancelling school until next fall there is a general sense that this is not going to go away.  In theory how could it when look at Europe.  We cannot get to the point of trying random drugs on people as that could lead to even more issues. Its like a see saw....lives vs economy.  Best case for many will be what @pasnownut suggested may be in his future...a furlough/temp layoff the company picks up where it left off in a while. 

• Like 2

Just now, daxx said:

This. I think as recently as the middle of last week, most of us were certainly aware of what was going on but at the time it seemed more like a nuisance...it was really towards the end of last week that we quickly reached the "oh sh*t" point. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

This. I think as recently as the middle of last week, most of us were certainly aware of what was going on but at the time it seemed more like a nuisance...it was really towards the end of last week that we quickly reached the "oh sh*t" point. 

I'm not going to lie I downplay things at first, that is just my nature. This has my attention now!

3 minutes ago, Atomixwx said:

Just wait until Trump locks the entire nation down and the looting starts. The Army is coming to enforce the lockdown.

Do you think that's a possibility? I've been weighing the pros and cons of going back out on the road trucking to keep busy while the bus industry was shut down, but if that's the case, then I might just want to stay close to the house.

One thing that did concern me was that if people couldn't afford food, would highway piracy and truck hijackings increase?

8 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

To think that in my mind......................9/11 was going to be the most ****ed up thing i experienced in my life

9 minutes ago, Voyager said:

Do you think that's a possibility? I've been weighing the pros and cons of going back out on the road trucking to keep busy while the bus industry was shut down, but if that's the case, then I might just want to stay close to the house.

One thing that did concern me was that if people couldn't afford food, would highway piracy and truck hijackings increase?

I personally do not think it is going to get into house invasion issues or highway piracy.  

• Thanks 1