joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Spring 2020 Banter

doncat

On 6/4/2020 at 6:14 PM, forkyfork said:

i wonder about this hurricane season and all the blocking patterns

ecmwf-ens_z500a_namer_8.png

question is.....will it be more like 1995 or 2005 or 2012..........?

Three different hyperactive years and three different storm patterns.

Considering the similarity to winter 2011-12, the two named storms in May, which also matches 2012, I would say that 2012 is a closer match than the other two seasons.

On 6/4/2020 at 6:27 PM, rclab said:

I guess at 0 you can keep moving to stay warm. At 90 it’s inside with artificial cool air or outside immersed in sometimes questionable wet. As always .....

low humidity at 90 or even 100 is AMAZING.

it's the humidity that kills us not the temp.

Give me some 100 degree temps with 20% humidity.....

• Like 1

9 hours ago, LibertyBell said:

low humidity at 90 or even 100 is AMAZING.

it's the humidity that kills us not the temp.

Give me some 100 degree temps with 20% humidity.....

Agree totally. Now For perfection just add some desert style radiational cooling. My old/odd parts may fall off but It’s worth it. As always ....

• Like 1

15 hours ago, LibertyBell said:

ah the nights are amazing when that happens!  so nice and cool and so many stars to see and no yucky haze!

Standing in my Red Hook/Cobble Hill postage stamp back yard, even on a cool clear night, I look up and see nothing. The city that never sleeps, by necessity, keeps the lights on all night. Nary ever a star to see. As always ...

• Like 1

On 6/11/2020 at 10:14 AM, rclab said:

Standing in my Red Hook/Cobble Hill postage stamp back yard, even on a cool clear night, I look up and see nothing. The city that never sleeps, by necessity, keeps the lights on all night. Nary ever a star to see. As always ...

They're switching to "smart lighting" which is dimming lighting after 11 PM..... better for health and a good night's sleep!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LibertyBell said:

They're switching to "smart lighting" which is dimming lighting after 11 PM..... better for health and a good night's sleep!

Thank you, L B for that information. Sadly though even a fine initiative like that will not not bring back the starry sky that must have blazed over the early 19th century farmland of Cornelius Heaney, where my Inner city row house now stands. As always.....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rclab said:

Thank you, L B for that information. Sadly though even a fine initiative like that will not not bring back the starry sky that must have blazed over the early 19th century farmland of Cornelius Heaney, where my Inner city row house now stands. As always.....

I can tell when I visit the Poconos, it must have been magnificent back then.  Cant see the Milky Way at all until you're at least 50 miles outside of the city.

• Like 1