Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Spring 2020 Banter

doncat

6 hours ago, stu said:

I just swapped the snowtires off my two vehicles.  This was the first year they proved completely useless.

They are good for grip below 50.  Summer tires that are cold when it’s cold out are like driving on ice.  Going to take my winter tires off in the next week or so.

On 5/11/2020 at 12:21 PM, Stormlover74 said:

The trees still look like mid to late April. One of the latest full leafouts I can remember

but the pollen horror has been full steam ahead since March.

why cant we invent some sort of chemical to prevent pollen outbreaks?  we seem to invent them for everything else......

On 5/15/2020 at 5:08 PM, CIK62 said:

Baaaaaamp. All I have to say about that pretty much. The solar cycle (even more extreme examples) contributes a small amount to the overall climate when CO2 forcing is becoming so large a contributor. 

• Like 2

I swear I’ve been hearing and reading about an impending solar minimum + mini ice age since the mid/late 2000’s when I first started getting into weather/climate. Meanwhile the planet has continued to warm right before everyone’s eyes.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Cfa said:

I swear I’ve been hearing and reading about an impending solar minimum + mini ice age since the mid/late 2000’s when I first started getting into weather/climate. Meanwhile the planet has continued to warm right before everyone’s eyes.

The increasing greenhouse gas forcing is overwhelming the modest dip in solar irradiance. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, uncle W said:

when we have low sun activity like the Dalton minimum for 25 years maybe then the earth will cool a bit...the year without a summer came during that period with help from volcanic activity...

It's also still actively debated whether it was even a global cooling event. Many climatologists argue that it was limited to Europe.

7 hours ago, IrishRob17 said:

For you bird folks out there, I have a Rose Breasted Grosbeak and a Baltimore Oriole at my feeder these days. Is this exciting or run of the mill birds around here?

Both are splendid and a delight to the eye, so getting them is always exciting.

Orioles usually come for fruit, like orange quarters or even jelly, while Grosbeaks are seed eaters more likely to chow down on sunflower seeds or maybe peanuts.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, IrishRob17 said:

For you bird folks out there, I have a Rose Breasted Grosbeak and a Baltimore Oriole at my feeder these days. Is this exciting or run of the mill birds around here?

This is the third or fourth great bird year here. Considering how flying insect and bird populations are decreasing elsewhere I'm seeing exactly the opposite. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, gravitylover said:

This is the third or fourth great bird year here. Considering how flying insect and bird populations are decreasing elsewhere I'm seeing exactly the opposite. 

indeed, although we can all do without the flying mosquitoes......

I have planted flowers that attract birds and am really excited about how much they are around.

and they sit in places really easy to photograph, good subjects for my new cameras Nikon P900 and Olympus OMD EM10 Mark 2 with the 75-300 lens.

10 hours ago, gravitylover said:

Had 4 different species of warbler in the tree outside my window on saturday.  In the middle of manhattan!  Never seen anything like it.