Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Spring 2020 Banter

doncat

1 hour ago, gravitylover said:

Are you sure you don't have some Vulcan in your DNA? Too much logic... Raised boxes should be able to have a tarp thrown over them on the cold nights right? Yeah soil temps are mid 40's, I didn't know about additional vulnerabilities due to that. Learning learning

Cold weather resistant always goes in first, lettuce and spinach, stuff like that. 

Heh, nah... if anything, I'd be Andorian. Those guys aren't half as square as the Vulcans.

I do get analytical with some of my hobbies, but mostly I just like to learn the reasons for things I observe or intuit in the wild. I'm not very good at retaining info in academic contexts, so when I'm able to offer insight, it usually stems from something I once majorly screwed up.

And yeah, any covering should buy you the handful of degrees that you'll need in most cases. Raised beds warm up quickly in the daytime, so if you get them covered up as soon as the sun goes down, they can stay relatively toasty compared to in-ground plots.

• Like 1

Post #1000! Finalllyyy Lol Been here since 2010. Hey weenies, Im the perfect example.. Read more, post less :) Learned so much from the guys here. Thank you everyone here for the crazy informative posts. Learned so much. I've been with alot of you most likely since the OG days of the early 2000s. WW, Eastern. Good ol' days. Time flies! Cheers brethren :drunk:

• Like 3
  • Weenie 1

7 hours ago, SRRTA22 said:

Post #1000! Finalllyyy Lol Been here since 2010. Hey weenies, Im the perfect example.. Read more, post less :) Learned so much from the guys here. Thank you everyone here for the crazy informative posts. Learned so much. I've been with alot of you most likely since the OG days of the early 2000s. WW, Eastern. Good ol' days. Time flies! Cheers brethren :drunk:

Holy crap i just realized how long its been since we left eastern. Whoa.

• Like 3
  • Weenie 1

3 hours ago, gravitylover said:

Every time somebody mentions WW the memories of some wonderful "debates" with DT come flooding back. He was quite the argumentative little firecracker 20 years ago... 

Ahh yes weather banter. Another 40 degree dreary day on tap. Yay! :unsure:

I remember DT going ballistic because someone quoted him as saying something negative about JB who he,mat least, respected at that time. One of my favorite lines, back then,  was when some posters were giving a respected contributor a hard time and another poster said. “ someone contact DT, it’s time for a weeny roast. I briefly saw the sun, a few moments ago, but I think it was a false positive. As always....

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, SRRTA22 said:

Congratulations! I hope to reach that milestone before the end of the year. The way I figure it and with apology’s to the competent statisticians on the forum, at my present pace I would have to live to 113 to catch up to Anthony’s present count. Of course by then he would probably be approaching a quarter of a million. As always.....

• Like 1

5 hours ago, forkyfork said:

you snow people are mentally ill

April has been 45* and dreary for years now. This is useless weather for being outdoors.

2 hours ago, SnoSki14 said:

And they live in the NYC metro...not exactly a snow haven.

At least I'm north and at reasonable elevation for around here, my average has bumped to about 50" this century. I also have an easy shot to get further north when the weather is questionable. 

13 hours ago, rclab said:

Congratulations! I hope to reach that milestone before the end of the year. The way I figure it and with apology’s to the competent statisticians on the forum, at my present pace I would have to live to 113 to catch up to Anthony’s present count. Of course by then he would probably be approaching a quarter of a million. As always.....

Thank you rclab :) and Im right there in the same boat. Im 29 now, by the time I reach metsfan post count, ill be somewhere around 70...maybe older..or ashes... Always look forward to one of your posts. You bring great wit and dry humor and I love your ending... "As always" 

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, SRRTA22 said:

Thank you rclab :) and Im right there in the same boat. Im 29 now, by the time I reach metsfan post count, ill be somewhere around 70...maybe older..or ashes... Always look forward to one of your posts. You bring great wit and dry humor and I love your ending... "As always" 

I was 29 the year of the Bi Centennial, 1976. A parade of 18/19th century tall ships. An aircraft carrier anchored in the  Narrows off shore road. Hundreds of pleasure and commercial craft vying  for water space to watch the ship parade and fireworks. I remember seeining one of the old green Staten Island ferries listing with the crush of paid observation passengers concentrated on one side of the boat. The city was awash with sailors, crowds enjoying the sights. There were non, so it seemed,  of the present worries about personal physical or health Safety. SPRTA22 you will see the Tri Centennial in 2076. Maybe you’ll remember an old man from the distant past that predicted it would be so. By that time, in our warming climate, the New England/ Northeast forum folk will be having melt downs because the rain snow line keeps setting up in central Vermont, New Hampshire and Maine. As always

• Like 4

under construction...I'm keeping myself busy building this n scale train layout...I still have many hours a head of me painting and detailing...so far I got around $750.00 into it...it will cost around $1200 when its done...you can say this is my stimulus...all I need now is for the hobby stores to open...

train set may 1.jpg

• Like 6

21 minutes ago, uncle W said:

under construction...I'm keeping myself busy building this n scale train layout...I still have many hours a head of me painting and detailing...so far I got around $750.00 into it...it will cost around $1200 when its done...you can say this is my stimulus...all I need now is for the hobby stories to open...

train set may 1.jpg

Nice. That’s a hobby I need to get back into. 

50 minutes ago, uncle W said:

its a lot easier than what it was 35 years ago...a lot more expensive too...

Just excellent, really like model trains, but never had the real ones, just kiddie stuff.

Are there still any domestic manufacturers left? I'd thought that Lionel and Maerklin had both gone bankrupt.

35 minutes ago, etudiant said:

Just excellent, really like model trains, but never had the real ones, just kiddie stuff.

Are there still any domestic manufacturers left? I'd thought that Lionel and Maerklin had both gone bankrupt.

I was recommended KATO from Japan which turned out quite well...years ago you would have to splice wires...now you just plug it in...

1 hour ago, uncle W said:

its a lot easier than what it was 35 years ago...a lot more expensive too...

I have to start cataloging my closet full of Lionel sets and accessories. ‘$1,200’. Unc., when you are finished and on many levels, your set up, considering what you put into it, will be worth immeasurably more than that #.

30 minutes ago, uncle W said:

I was recommended KATO from Japan which turned out quite well...years ago you would have to splice wires...now you just plug it in...

Yeah, I was building my HO layout about 35 years ago when you still needed insulated blocks to run different locomotives...there was quite a spaghetti mess of wires under the layout. 

14 minutes ago, rclab said:

I have to start cataloging my closet full of Lionel sets and accessories. ‘$1,200’. Unc., when you are finished and on many levels, your set up, considering what you put into it, will be worth immeasurably more than that #.

I think I can at least double my money and start a bigger better new one...but I still have months of tedious work to go...I did not have room for HO scale...I had a 5/13 layout with fifteen switches and five trains could run at one time...I never completed it fully...I tore it down and rebuilt it twice because I wasn't satisfied...

5 minutes ago, IrishRob17 said:

Yeah, I was building my HO layout about 35 years ago when you still needed insulated blocks to run different locomotives...there was quite a spaghetti mess of wires under the layout. 

I had wires everywhere too...I tried to make this layout as simple as possible...I did not pre wire anything on the board...I'll eventually have a few street lights hooked up...It is a light rail light freight line in a city/town...I priced a light rail train and it goes for 140...Trollies go from anywhere from 35-100...

• Like 1

When I was a teenager I had a 5 x 18' table set up with a three layer deep HO train set that went through 2 mountain ranges and three towns. I could run two 5 or 6 car trains at the same time. There was also over 200 feet of slot car tracks that went up to five layers high at points wrapping through the towns and mountains. I used to run two cars and two trains at the same time with a controller in each hand, it was quite a trick to run for any length of time without a major collision. I wish my house now was big enough to do something like that.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, gravitylover said:

When I was a teenager I had a 5 x 18' table set up with a three layer deep HO train set that went through 2 mountain ranges and three towns. I could run two 5 or 6 car trains at the same time. There was also over 200 feet of slot car tracks that went up to five layers high at points wrapping through the towns and mountains. I used to run two cars and two trains at the same time with a controller in each hand, it was quite a trick to run for any length of time without a major collision. I wish my house now was big enough to do something like that.

If you have photos of that set up I would really enjoy seeing them. As always .....

14 hours ago, rclab said:

If you have photos of that set up I would really enjoy seeing them. As always .....

I would too, unfortunately pretty much everything I kept at my parents house for storage when I moved out was ruined or burned in a fire about 20 years ago. Now it's just a big table in the basement with stuff piled 2 feet deep on it :(

• Sad 1

49 minutes ago, gravitylover said:

I would too, unfortunately pretty much everything I kept at my parents house for storage when I moved out was ruined or burned in a fire about 20 years ago. Now it's just a big table in the basement with stuff piled 2 feet deep on it :(

Our American poet, Paul Simon, wrote the line “preserve your memories, their all that’s left you” , whether you are young or old, he was right. As always .....,

• Like 3
  • Weenie 1

On 5/3/2020 at 2:04 AM, SRRTA22 said:

Installed my AC today. Latest that Ive installed. 

Also did anyone see May 2 06z GFS? What a fun run that was! Sending a trop storm towards the east coast before stalling and curving away. @LongBeachSurfFreak would've loved for that scenario to come to fruition

I usually install my AC the last week of April but I probably won't do it for another week or so.