• Member Statistics

    15,844
    Total Members
    7,904
    Most Online
    maley.chris78@gmail.com
    Newest Member
    [email protected]
    Joined
moneypitmike

Coronavirus

Recommended Posts

4 minutes ago, Bostonseminole said:

looks like it's gonna be a rough 24hr in Italy, 252 deaths just in Lombardy.. not all of Italy.

 

 

Yep. It's bad. My whole family lives there. They are all hunkered down but it's a bit surreal. You can only leave to go grocery shopping and you have to stay within your designated area. Entrance is staggered, you wait in a line where everyone is at least 6 feet from each other, then you walk in and are handed mask and gloves. The usually noisy streets are completely quiet. And yes, the videos of people singing and dancing on their balconies are real. 

  • Sad 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, alex said:

Yep. It's bad. My whole family lives there. They are all hunkered down but it's a bit surreal. You can only leave to go grocery shopping and you have to stay within your designated area. Entrance is staggered, you wait in a line where everyone is at least 6 feet from each other, then you walk in and are handed mask and gloves. The usually noisy streets are completely quiet. And yes, the videos of people singing and dancing on their balconies are real. 

I have family in Lazio...about a half hour from Montecassino. My 90 year old great uncle passed away from cancer earlier this week and they weren’t allowed to hold a funeral. Luckily, the rest of my family members are all safe and free of the virus. 

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, alex said:

Yep. It's bad. My whole family lives there. They are all hunkered down but it's a bit surreal. You can only leave to go grocery shopping and you have to stay within your designated area. Entrance is staggered, you wait in a line where everyone is at least 6 feet from each other, then you walk in and are handed mask and gloves. The usually noisy streets are completely quiet. And yes, the videos of people singing and dancing on their balconies are real. 

If there is one defining moment in making something good out of a horrible situation, it is that. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, alex said:

Yep. It's bad. My whole family lives there. They are all hunkered down but it's a bit surreal. You can only leave to go grocery shopping and you have to stay within your designated area. Entrance is staggered, you wait in a line where everyone is at least 6 feet from each other, then you walk in and are handed mask and gloves. The usually noisy streets are completely quiet. And yes, the videos of people singing and dancing on their balconies are real. 

Alex,   I keep thinking of your family back home.  I just wish the US Federal Government would announce a 2 week  lock down except for essential businesses .  We are a free society and don't know if the government could order it but even voluntary guidance would be much better than every town, city and state doing there own thing.  It would really hurt many in the short term but we have to look what is happening in Italy.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

Alex,   I keep thinking of your family back home.  I just wish the US Federal Government would announce a 2 week  lock down except for essential businesses .  We are a free society and don't know if the government could order it but even voluntary guidance would be much better than every town, city and state doing there own thing.  It would really hurt many in the short term but we have to look what is happening in Italy.  

I fear we may be nearing the point of no return. An Italian outcome here is becoming more and more likely. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, alex said:

Except for the gondola. I have no concerns being on a chair, but imagine being in a gondola and someone starts sneezing? No thanks :)

Not sure about other resorts, but I heard Loon closed their gondolas. Smart move!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, OSUmetstud said:

Strong partisan divide shaping up in response. 

 

IMG_20200315_132137.jpg

Makes sense. Democrats tend to have higher degree of fear. But I think more importantly Democrats are also more likely to live in urban areas. 

  • Weenie 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You have to shut down quickly, NYC is out of time as far as medical equipment/facilities.

 

New York wk 1 - 2 wk 2 - 105 wk 3 - 613

France wk 1 - 12 wk 2 - 191 wk 3 - 653 wk 4 - 4499

Iran wk 1 - 2 wk 2 - 43 wk 3 - 245 wk 4 - 4747 wk 5 - 12729

Italy wk 1 - 3 wk 2 - 152 wk 3 - 1036 wk 4 - 6362 wk 5 - 21157

Spain wk 1 - 8 wk 3 - 674 wk 4 - 6043

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Bostonseminole said:

I don't think China had numbers like this.. of course we are not sure if China was downplaying the numbers.

Oh, I think that's safe to assume. They wouldn't have put 760 million people on lockdown for the kind of numbers they reported. Add a zero at least to what they say.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, OSUmetstud said:

Its really shocking to me that all of nys has only 535 ICU beds. Totally ****ed. 

Relative to most developed countries we have far fewer hospital beds per capita. It's really bad.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, MarkO said:

Makes sense. Democrats tend to have higher degree of fear. But I think more importantly Democrats are also more likely to live in urban areas. 

If a Democratic candidate were in the WH, those #'s would be lower on the D side

  • Weenie 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Hoth said:

Relative to most developed countries we have far fewer hospital beds per capita. It's really bad.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/opinion/article-hospital-bed-shortages-amid-covid-19-expose-the-deadly-cost-of-a-lack/

The world leaders in equipped-bed availability are the United States, with 35 beds with ventilators for every 100,000 people, and Germany and Taiwan, with 30 each. Italy has about a dozen. Canada, with 10 to 12 ICU beds for every 100,000 people (depending how they’re measured), does not fare very well – according to the Organization for Economic Co-operation and Development, Canada has about half as many intensive-care beds as the average developed country, despite spending 15 per cent more on health care.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, radarman said:

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/opinion/article-hospital-bed-shortages-amid-covid-19-expose-the-deadly-cost-of-a-lack/

The world leaders in equipped-bed availability are the United States, with 35 beds with ventilators for every 100,000 people, and Germany and Taiwan, with 30 each. Italy has about a dozen. Canada, with 10 to 12 ICU beds for every 100,000 people (depending how they’re measured), does not fare very well – according to the Organization for Economic Co-operation and Development, Canada has about half as many intensive-care beds as the average developed country, despite spending 15 per cent more on health care.

Interesting. I wonder if what I saw was total hospital beds per capita.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some restaurants around here are going so far that they're sanitizing the menus, silverware and tables right in front of you before you sit down. They're also telling employees they can't come to work while sick and paying them when they have to stay home. All this of course to try to reduce the fear about going out to eat. Also I'm sure people realize they shouldn't go out to eat if they're sick and risk spreading to others ... they would get a terrible response in this environment. So with all the extra safety measures, I would think it's actually more safe to go to restaurants right now compared to previous years. All the extra measures mean LESS of a chance of catching something compared to other years, so I feel completely confortable going out to eat. No reason to avoid restaurants. I hope people will support restaurants during this tough time. Very little chance of getting sick at a restaurant, unlike being at a grocery store where you have to deal with massive crowds of people which would include many people that are sick.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, winterwx21 said:

Some restaurants around here are going so far that they're sanitizing the menus, silverware and tables right in front of you before you sit down. They're also telling employees they can't come to work while sick and paying them when they have to stay home. All this of course to try to reduce the fear about going out to eat. Also I'm sure people realize they shouldn't go out to eat if they're sick and risk spreading to others ... they would get a terrible response in this environment. So with all the extra safety measures, I would think it's actually more safe to go to restaurants right now compared to previous years. All the extra measures mean LESS of a chance of catching something compared to other years, so I feel completely confortable going out to eat. No reason to avoid restaurants. I hope people will support restaurants during this tough time. Very little chance of getting sick at a restaurant, unlike being at a grocery store where you have to deal with massive crowds of people which would include many people that are sick.

I'd rather minimize the risk and cook/eat at home. Don't often eat out anyway, but  rather not get sick when it is in my full control

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, MarkO said:

Makes sense. Democrats tend to have higher degree of fear. But I think more importantly Democrats are also more likely to live in urban areas. 

Link?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Dr. Dews said:

I'd rather minimize the risk and cook/eat at home. Don't often eat out anyway, but  rather not get sick when it is in my full control

I’ve completely shut down eating out.  But hopefully the raw materials prepared by someone before I bought them are ok.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, MarkO said:

Makes sense. Democrats tend to have higher degree of fear. But I think more importantly Democrats are also more likely to live in urban areas. 

I think it has much more to do with identity. Our political identity shapes our views are pretty incredible ways in terms of what we think is true and what we think is full so how we be wishes. Ezra Klein wrote a great book that’s just out called why we are polarized and he looked at this issue extensively.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...