• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    LanaM
    Newest Member
    LanaM

Coronavirus

6 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Yes. It’s early to mid summer. Things can’t just slowly and randomly open. It has to be all at once . Otherwise it’s right back to where we are now.

It can’t be all at once, that would just spike this back up again. It has be to strategically planned and slowly re-opened the same way it was shut down. 

7 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Well you can open restaurants with occupancy limits etc. You will not see huge arenas and stadiums open though. Controlled occupancy and small businesses can be reopened in non hot spots. 

But one person infected in that eatery infects many others. The dentist , the barber .. touching faces , mouths .. it just can’t be contained 

4 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Well if you want to eat and maintain the infrastructure, health some of course are working and a lot work from home. You just can't shut it all down despite what the Monday morning quarterbackers think.

When we mean we should have shut it all down, we mean where we are now but done it sooner and without the ‘step down’ process. That’s all. 

But they can just rob people of their freedoms at once so the step down process was the best they could do, given our way of life.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

The FDA chief layed out the antibody plan yesterday. Bill Gates foundation is also investing billions in manufacturing already. 

I was mostly offline yesterday-that is good news

1 hour ago, kdxken said:

Arcgis has information on number of beds and ICU units but it's not going to be correct. Most hospitals have doubled or tripled their capacity. Regular units are now ICU units.

For sure.  The hospital system I work for has added hundreds of beds.  We've converted former outpatient surgical centers to ICU's and opened formally closed units.  Typically the DPH keeps track of beds but I don't think that is happening so the number of beds we have vs. what we are licensed for are two different numbers. 

The antibody pass for free movement is interesting in Italy. I’m not sure it’s 100% effective, but the idea of it does make sense. It’s probably our best idea of who has had the virus already vs who is vulnerable. It’s for the time being. Eventually like Will said...life has to come back to reality. 

3 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

But one person infected in that eatery infects many others. The dentist , the barber .. touching faces , mouths .. it just can’t be contained 

You can't wait until there is a vaccine,  life will go on and isolation and contact tracing will be the norm. Hygiene will be important.  You can bubble up or take chances it's a free country 

• Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Well if you want to eat and maintain the infrastructure, health some of course are working and a lot work from home. You just can't shut it all down despite what the Monday morning quarterbackers think.

There are certainly a lot of businesses that are skirting the “essential” line but I think leadership is really afraid to go hardline against what is essential and what is not due to the economic costs.  

A lot of businesses are trying to find loopholes to stay open.  They could probably shut down another 25% of the work force if they really wanted to truly go “essential”.  Not like Best Buy and Lowe’s type of essential.

• Like 2

So one completely underplayed story that has emerged is how the metro centers rich on the east coast bailed out on the city's and headed to their rich enclaves either in the Adirondacks,  Cape Cod, RI  etc. This has added stress to small communities not set up to handle  90 day summer populations in the spring.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

There are certainly a lot of businesses that are skirting the “essential” line but I think leadership is really afraid to go hardline against what is essential and what is not due to the economic costs.  

A lot of businesses are trying to find loopholes to stay open.  They could probably shut down another 25% of the work force if they really wanted to truly go “essential”.  Not like Best Buy and Lowe’s type of essential.

Its amazing how interconnected many businesses are though. Can you give some examples 

Just now, wxeyeNH said:

First death in my orb of family and friends.  One of our closest friends aunt passed away alone in a ICU in Portland Maine

Sorry Gene

2 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Its amazing how interconnected many businesses are though. Can you give some examples 

My mom is a warehouse manager at a sporting goods warehouse in Amherst, NY, the last time I talked to her, her boss claimed there was a loophole and they were going to continue to stay open. My mom is smartly trying to do some sales best she can from home but that's about it. I'd hardly call that essential. 

3 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

So one completely underplayed story that has emerged is how the metro centers rich on the east coast bailed out on the city's and headed to their rich enclaves either in the Adirondacks,  Cape Cod, RI  etc. This has added stress to small communities not set up to handle  90 day summer populations in the spring.  

Yup every rental in NW CT is filling up, even properties being bought on the spot for above asking

1 minute ago, Ginx snewx said:

Examples?  I just did... we are in a world where Best Buy, Lowe’s, and JoAnn Fabrics are essential businesses.  

If the govt wanted to they could really run a hard line on what is essential.  

9 minutes ago, OSUmetstud said:

My mom is a warehouse manager at a sporting goods warehouse in Amherst, NY, the last time I talked to her, her boss claimed there was a loophole and they were going to continue to stay open. My mom is smartly trying to do some sales best she can from home but that's about it. I'd hardly call that essential. 

Yes, that sort of stuff. 

If a retailer sells a lightbulb or sells some candy at the checkout isle (food!), it’s an essential business.  There are a lot of stores that don’t need to be open.

They could certainly knock off another good percentage of working folks but I think they/govt officials are afraid to go further.

3 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Examples?  I just did... we are in a world where Best Buy, Lowe’s, and JoAnn Fabrics are essential businesses.  

If the govt wanted to they could really run a hard line on what is essential.  

JoAnn Fabrics.  :lol:  I know what you mean though. The term essential is just too broad and without firm descriptions. 

13 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Just hoping none of our EMTs get sick. Aside from that initial case, we’ve been lucky so far. 

Just went to Shaw’s to hammer out food shopping for the week.   Majority of shoppers donning masks, myself included.  Nice to see people heeding warnings and taken proper measures to minimize risk.

• Like 1

Just now, CoastalWx said:

JoAnn Fabrics

A lot of people are sewing up masks with materials bought at JF. I've heard there's a shortage of the elastic rolls people need. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

JoAnn Fabrics.  :lol:  I know what you mean though. The term essential is just too broad and without firm descriptions. 

Ha I only know because my mom went to one the other day to get some things for a project she’s working on.  

I was like Jesus Christ mom, stay home...I’ve said she can’t sit still, but it’s like these stores are “essential” in serving Americans boredom.  

2 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Yes, that sort of stuff. 

If a big box retailer sells a lightbulb or sells some candy at the checkout isle (food!), it’s an essential business.  

They could certainly knock off another good percentage of working folks but I think they/govt officials are afraid to go further.

There are business that are hybrid too so tough to shut it all down when parts of it could be essential. 

There’s too much of a grey area for the gov’t to start imposing it’s authority without pushback or potential lawsuits. I think this is the best we can do, we’re at our limit. We could have gotten here faster which would have reduced the spread, numbers, etc though.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Did you all miss the FDA chief talking about antibody testing rollout plans and the news release of the Gates foundation?

Yeah I didn’t read that. I still wouldn’t expect anything the feds do to be efficient. But it’s good they at least are working on it. 

40 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

No I don’t expect the federal government to take the lead on this stuff. States are already doing more on that front. I know here in MA, the state officials have been working with many of the health research companies on getting more testing out. As more and more testing becomes available, it will lessen the burden on the under-prepared feds to help fill the gaps. Manufacture and development of testing kits is in overdrive around the country right now by state, academic, and independent research facilities as FDA loosens its regulatory tape on this...it will filter down eventually...efficient or not. 

Same deal with hospital equipment. It’s being manufactured. Inefficient or not, it will filter down. 

Ideally this would happen sooner, but it will happen. 

I think it has to filter up, not just down

Just now, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

There are business that are hybrid too so tough to shut it all down when parts of it could be essential. 

There’s too much of a grey area for the gov’t to start imposing it’s authority without pushback or potential lawsuits. I think this is the best we can do, we’re at our limit. We could have gotten here faster which would have reduced the spread, numbers, etc though.

No I agree, no one wants to go that truly essential route.  

I was just stating if need be, they could’ve gotten away with more people staying home if there was a harder line on what that means.  I just read essential and think what do I truly need to survive but it certainly has a lot of gray.  

We seem to be bending the curve as it is.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, South Shore Slop said:

A lot of people are sewing up masks with materials bought at JF. I've heard there's a shortage of the elastic rolls people need. 

Yep my wife has made 40 masks already and is getting the materials from Joanne’s. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yep my wife has made 40 masks already and is getting the materials from Joanne’s. 

She's doing fine work.

tam.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

9 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

No I agree, no one wants to go that truly essential route.  

I was just stating if need be, they could’ve gotten away with more people staying home if there was a harder line on what that means.  I just read essential and think what do I truly need to survive but it certainly has a lot of gray.  

We seem to be bending the curve as it is.

Oh yea definitely. Essential is much more bare bones than this. I mean, folks 100 years ago would be laughing at our ‘essentials’ now.