• Member Statistics

    15,844
    Total Members
    7,904
    Most Online
    NEILwxbo
    Newest Member
    NEILwxbo
    Joined
moneypitmike

Coronavirus

Recommended Posts

50 minutes ago, amarshall said:

Our town beach was an absolute shit show this weekend.  Hordes of people from out of town packed the parking lot. 

Tuckermans is going to close this week because 400 people showed up there on Saturday. 

absolutely ridiculous. why the hell weren't these places closed weeks ago? When these travel restrictions started all those public places should have been closed and blocks at state borders should have been set up (not necessarily preventing people from crossing state boundaries...there are people who work out-of-state, take care of family, etc). We've been behind the 8-ball significantly with implementing things. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

absolutely ridiculous. why the hell weren't these places closed weeks ago? When these travel restrictions started all those public places should have been closed and blocks at state borders should have been set up (not necessarily preventing people from crossing state boundaries...there are people who work out-of-state, take care of family, etc). We've been behind the 8-ball significantly with implementing things. 

It clearly doesn't matter as infection rates are slowing.  We don't all need to be boarded up in our houses eating Chef Boyardee for 6 weeks. I'm sure it has a much harder time spreading outside than inside as well. 

  • Confused 1
  • Weenie 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Whineminster said:

It clearly doesn't matter as infection rates are slowing.  We don't all need to be boarded up in our houses eating Chef Boyardee for 6 weeks. I'm sure it has a much harder time spreading outside than inside as well. 

I'm not so confident we can clearly state this is actually the case just yet. Do we even have a full grasp on testing procedures yet? I know at least here in CT they're not testing anyone unless they have been exposed to someone who had previously tested positive (which is a bit confusing b/c what criteria determined the first person in the state to be tested)...unless this has changed.

 I know we don't need to be all boarded up but places that attract large crowds (beaches, parks) should have all been closed from day 1. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Whineminster said:

It clearly doesn't matter as infection rates are slowing.  We don't all need to be boarded up in our houses eating Chef Boyardee for 6 weeks. I'm sure it has a much harder time spreading outside than inside as well. 

I don't think you get it.

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

absolutely ridiculous. why the hell weren't these places closed weeks ago? When these travel restrictions started all those public places should have been closed and blocks at state borders should have been set up (not necessarily preventing people from crossing state boundaries...there are people who work out-of-state, take care of family, etc). We've been behind the 8-ball significantly with implementing things. 

Maybe at the major arteries, but doing that for all crossings would be asking a lot.  I count 38 named roads crossing the NH-Maine border (doesn't include things like logging roads) and those states aren't all that heavily roaded, especially north of IZG - only 7 of the 38 there.  If 37 are blocked, the most determined folks will use #38.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Whineminster said:

It clearly doesn't matter as infection rates are slowing.  We don't all need to be boarded up in our houses eating Chef Boyardee for 6 weeks. I'm sure it has a much harder time spreading outside than inside as well. 

Infection rates aren’t slowing unless you’re basing it on one day.  That’s kind of like locking in a forecast on the d9 gfs.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I don't think you get it.

Why? I know someone who got it but his wife didn't, both tested, both in the clear now.  So based on my one anecdotal experience it's not that contagious. 

  • Weenie 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Field hospital is being built in Central Park.

Dr Fauci said that the best cast scenario is for things to get back to somewhat normal by June but that's the best case. He also said that no one should make long term predictions because thos virus is a moving  target.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Whineminster said:

Why? I know someone who got it but his wife didn't, both tested, both in the clear now.  So based on my one anecdotal experience it's not that contagious. 

It's not contagious? Wtf

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Maybe at the major arteries, but doing that for all crossings would be asking a lot.  I count 38 named roads crossing the NH-Maine border (doesn't include things like logging roads) and those states aren't all that heavily roaded, especially north of IZG - only 7 of the 38 there.  If 37 are blocked, the most determined folks will use #38.

yeah doing it at all crossings would certainly be alot and would requite a ton of resources. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Whineminster said:

Why? I know someone who got it but his wife didn't, both tested, both in the clear now.  So based on my one anecdotal experience it's not that contagious. 

Just stop

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, weathafella said:

Infection rates aren’t slowing unless you’re basing it on one day.  That’s kind of like locking in a forecast on the d9 gfs.

Whineminster is clearly trolling now....or he's just way dumber than anyone is giving him credit for.

 

  • Like 5
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Its definitely spreading rapidly in the New Haven area now. Over the weekend I saw a friends father passed away from it on Facebook and my cousin and 2 friends have symptoms. My cousin works for Metro North and said its spreading bad there. 

In CT they are still not testing it seems unless you require hospital care according to my cousin. 

  • Sad 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Whineminster said:

Why? I know someone who got it but his wife didn't, both tested, both in the clear now.  So based on my one anecdotal experience it's not that contagious. 

exactly, based on "one". means nothing

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

New Orleans is getting hit hard. Now they have a stay home order. Anyone who goes outside will be arrested.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, BrianW said:

Its definitely spreading rapidly in the New Haven area now. Over the weekend I saw a friends father passed away from it on Facebook and my cousin and 2 friends have symptoms. My cousin works for Metro North and said its spreading bad there. 

In CT they are still not testing it seems unless you require hospital care according to my cousin. 

That’s how both of my family members ended up getting tested from what I understand.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, MJO812 said:

New Orleans is getting hit hard. Now they have a stay home order. Anyone who goes outside will be arrested.

Seems ridiculous. So you'll be arrested if you check your mailbox? What if you need food? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, SouthCoastMA said:

Seems ridiculous. So you'll be arrested if you check your mailbox? What if you need food? 

They will most likely question you, that is if they even see you. There won't be enough cops to keep an eye on every house or apartment building.  You will most likely have an easier time with the police if you are traveling to the store alone, and not with the entire family like its party time.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The rate of infection is definitely slowing. It's basically impossible for it not have slowed with all the distancing measures put in place. This is borne out my OpenTable data, highway traffic sensor data, mobile device data, etc...

However, given the nature of testing data, there is a few weeks of lag for these measures to show up. I'd expect to see a meaningful "bending of the curve" appear in about 10 days in the Northeast.

  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, SouthCoastMA said:

Seems ridiculous. So you'll be arrested if you check your mailbox? What if you need food? 

Italy has a lockdown.  You can only go outside for food and medicine and I would think mail also.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, SouthCoastMA said:

Seems ridiculous. So you'll be arrested if you check your mailbox? What if you need food? 

Looks like it's just a shelter in p[lace order....like so many other spots. You can still go out and get groceries, etc.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

...Yesterday at Walmart was awful. There were literally dozens upon dozens of kids running around, with and without parents.  The place was packed like Christmas eve kind of packed.  I could barely keep 6' from people.   I am not sure why they are not monitoring people entering the store.  At a Home Depot they are limiting 100 people at a time.  They based that number based on store square footage. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, BrianW said:

Its definitely spreading rapidly in the New Haven area now. Over the weekend I saw a friends father passed away from it on Facebook and my cousin and 2 friends have symptoms. My cousin works for Metro North and said its spreading bad there. 

In CT they are still not testing it seems unless you require hospital care according to my cousin. 

 

9 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

That’s how both of my family members ended up getting tested from what I understand.

I am quite confused on how the testing process is working in CT. 

My friend's aunt who was quite sick did not get tested initially, however, her condition worsened and she ended up in ICU and that's when she was tested. My friend also became quite sick, however, they said they would not test her unless her aunt and grandfather (who had also became sick) tested positive for it. Her aunt and grandfather had to wait like a week or 10 days before getting the results. By the time the results came back our friend's conditions began improving. 

As far as I see it the number of people in CT who have it or have had it is likely incredibly high. From what I heard on the radio yesterday morning there were like 400+ hospitalized. I didn't catch how many were in ICU though. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, bch2014 said:

The rate of infection is definitely slowing. It's basically impossible for it not have slowed with all the distancing measures put in place. This is borne out my OpenTable data, highway traffic sensor data, mobile device data, etc...

However, given the nature of testing data, there is a few weeks of lag for these measures to show up. I'd expect to see a meaningful "bending of the curve" appear in about 10 days in the Northeast.

 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, bch2014 said:

The rate of infection is definitely slowing. It's basically impossible for it not have slowed with all the distancing measures put in place. This is borne out my OpenTable data, highway traffic sensor data, mobile device data, etc...

However, given the nature of testing data, there is a few weeks of lag for these measures to show up. I'd expect to see a meaningful "bending of the curve" appear in about 10 days in the Northeast.

Unless health officials/doctors say this in statements I don't think we can assume so. We just can't make this assumption based on daily data which is released. There's a pretty high probability that health officials aren't releasing every piece of data (and for good measures) they have much more data than we are aware of and they make public (and again for good measures). We can't just make claims based on one or two days of data either. 

Look at last week...many thought Italy had reached the peak b/c the number of deaths decreased like 3 out of 4 days and then boom...another big spike. 

I understand it's human nature to speculate off numbers and try to find comfort in making a situation better but the reality is we can't make these claims..they have to come from health officials.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One thing I'm not sure I really understand is that in the media, they seem to be super focused on NY, NJ, CA, FL, and LA (among others-GA and MI have gotten a fair bit of press too).

However, by any standard (i.e. per capita and/or raw number), Mass has one of the most virulent outbreaks. But you don't see hype in the media about Boston, Lowell, etc being virtual war zones like you do with other regions. 

Though MA has great hospitals and doctors, it is fairly under indexed from an ICU beds perspective. For example, the New Orleans area is actually far better prepared from that perspective.

Source: https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2020/03/23/map-places-america-with-most-fewest-icu-beds/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, bch2014 said:

One thing I'm not sure I really understand is that in the media, they seem to be super focused on NY, NJ, CA, FL, and LA (among others-GA and MI have gotten a fair bit of press too).

However, by any standard (i.e. per capita and/or raw number), Mass has one of the most virulent outbreaks. But you don't see hype in the media about Boston, Lowell, etc being virtual war zones like you do with other regions. 

Though MA has great hospitals and doctors, it is fairly under indexed from an ICU beds perspective. For example, the New Orleans area is actually far better prepared from that perspective.

Source: https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2020/03/23/map-places-america-with-most-fewest-icu-beds/

Paywall please don't link paywall sites

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...