• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    maley.chris78@gmail.com
    Newest Member
    [email protected]

Coronavirus

Just now, kdxken said:

Might as well open up another rabbit hole :)

It is generally accepted that increasing the flexibility of a muscle-tendon unit promotes better performances and decreases the number of injuries. ... In contrast, clinical evidence suggesting that stretching before exercise does not prevent injuries has also been reported.

Yup.  There is a lot of conventional wisdom that is not supported by medical research.  But old habits and beliefs die hard... even in the medical community.

• Like 1

Can we just take my advice?

- Hoosier, non-MD

29 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

I think it comes down to personal preference.  Some people may generally feel worse when they let a fever get to 101, 102.  In that case I say pop the pills.  Otherwise you can probably ride out a fever like that.

• Weenie 1

3 minutes ago, weathafella said:

Fevers also weaken the body minimizing your strength to fight the virus.   I personally would never not try to lower my fever if sick.  In my 73 years, that system has worked well.  Just because Mayo explains the role of fever doesn’t mean they are advising you to let it burn.

It's a matter of opinion. It used to be that all doctors said reduce the fever, but these days there are more and more doctors that say it's better to let it run it's course because the illness won't last as long. There are several studies that have shown that, but not all of them. There's a lot of disagreement. Doing it either way is fine. Personally I like to let it run its course since it's the natural reaction of the body to fight infection.

1 minute ago, weathafella said:

Fevers also weaken the body minimizing your strength to fight the virus.   I personally would never not try to lower my fever if sick.  In my 73 years, that system has worked well.  Just because Mayo explains the role of fever doesn’t mean they are advising you to let it burn.

To each his own.  Plenty of experts do suggest "letting it burn"

It’s true that fevers wear you down in a number of ways. They put stress on your body, your heart beats faster, you consume oxygen more quickly, and your cells consume more energy than usual. Very high temperatures (above 105 degrees) can directly damage cells.

However, fevers show up consistently across species as a response to infection, indicating an evolutionary advantage. Even cold-blooded animals that can’t internally regulate their temperature move to a warm rock when they get sick.

A higher body temperature creates an inhospitable environment for many invading bugs to grow and replicate. For example, high temperatures reduce iron levels in the blood, and bacteria have trouble reproducing. Fevers also appear to boost the immune system to fight off infection. So you feel terrible, but you’re actually in a stronger position to beat the bug.

On a population level, there’s even evidence that suppressing fevers with antipyretics leads to increased transmission of the flu virus and, therefore, more cases of the flu and more flu-related deaths.

Might as well open up another rabbit hole
It is generally accepted that increasing the flexibility of a muscle-tendon unit promotes better performances and decreases the number of injuries. ... In contrast, clinical evidence suggesting that stretching before exercise does not prevent injuries has also been reported.
Lol,.I was going to say this. I used to stretch all the time before going cycling but have stopped.
  • Haha 1

I think for me, I will not really notice it unless fever is 100+. Once past 101 people need to be careful because damage to tissues becomes more likely. I know I used Tylenol or Advil when any of my kids burned but kids are scarier because their ability to regulate body temperature is not fully developed at a very young age.  One of my sons burned with 105 once...scared the crap out of me,  He is a perfectly healthy 42 year old man now.

Our son’s girlfriend works part time at a nursing home. One of the residents there tested positive. She now has to self isolate for 14 days and get tested.  
When they were told she was one of three staff on site at the time, The other two quit leaving her alone on the floor.   She is an 18 year old college freshman. 

17 minutes ago, MJO812 said:

I signed up for Friday.  I made an appt last week but they never called me back.

6 more of my co workers are positive.

They don’t have anything set up for first responders? In jersey they had a site open up just for first responders with symptoms. 

1 minute ago, Allsnow said:

They don’t have anything set up for first responders? In jersey they had a site open up just for first responders with symptoms. 

Nothing at all here

If people will actually read what I said, I said 103 or below is fine. Anything higher, then try to lower it a bit. 
 I am a little unconventional. Some of what the AMA expouses I do not agree with. I’m very holistic. I believe in chiropractic and acupuncture. I’m NOT an anti vaxer. My kids have had all their shots and I’ll be first in mine when a vaccine come out for this. But I don’t like the new schedules.

I can count on one hand how many times my kids, 10 and 13 have actually been sick where I thought they needed antibiotics. The only time one was in the ER was a broken arm. 

20 minutes ago, kdxken said:

Might as well open up another rabbit hole :)

I think it has more to do with performance than injury.  I'd be curious what the difference is in performance on athletes who stretch and who don't stretch.  I know I notice a difference but perhaps it's just me.

26 minutes ago, weathafella said:

As Nonnie used to say, sweat it out, feed a fever starve a cold.

Fever in the morning fever all through the night, you give me fever

Just now, Ginx snewx said:

As Nonnie used to say, sweat it out, feed a fever starve a cold.

Fever in the morning fever all through the night, you give me fever

No isn’t it feed a cold starve a fever?   Lol...

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Some good news today it would appear.  It looks like US deaths will be down from yesterday, and by quite a bit.  Though I have noticed in data from other countries that there is a random down day thrown in sometimes even when the overall trend is up. 

4 minutes ago, WhitinsvilleWX said:

If people will actually read what I said, I said 103 or below is fine. Anything higher, then try to lower it a bit. 
 I am a little unconventional. Some of what the AMA expouses I do not agree with. I’m very holistic. I believe in chiropractic and acupuncture. I’m NOT an anti vaxer. My kids have had all their shots and I’ll be first in mine when a vaccine come out for this. But I don’t like the new schedules.

I can count on one hand how many times my kids, 10 and 13 have actually been sick where I thought they needed antibiotics. The only time one was in the ER was a broken arm. 

I was of similar mind for a long time.  Then I started reading huge population studies of varies diseases that affect my area of expertise and I came to realize that I need to abide by the scientific method.  Btw I don’t know how that applies to fevers but for adults 103 as the cutoff point seems too high.

No isn’t it feed a cold starve a fever?   Lol...

Technically its best  to feed a virus starve a bacterium 

• Like 1

Where do we stand on masks?  I know there was some discussion yesterday and the CDC still says they aren’t needed unless you’re sick but psychologically it seems to be a bit of comfort. I don’t have any but was wondering. 

There’s a substantial anti Fauci force among the crazies....

Yeah there is a group who thinks he’s part of a plan to oust Trump. Talk about tin foil. 

• Haha 2