Most Online
    maley.chris78@gmail.com
    Newest Member
    [email protected]

Coronavirus

24 minutes ago, WhitinsvilleWX said:

Lol

I’m not even going to try to respond to this non sense 

I just hope people dont take medical advise from a weather forum. But if you'd like to try to understand more about how the biology of its original host animal might have evolutionarily  affected the virus's sensitivity to body temperature fluctuations (aka fevers), this is an interesting read. And remember, it's not the virus that kills you, it's how your body responds to it. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/2020/03/19/health/coronavirus-human-actions-intl/index.html

"Bats are the only mammal that can fly, allowing them to spread in large numbers from one community over a wide area, scientists say. This means they can harbor a large number of pathogens, or diseases. Flying also requires a tremendous amount of activity for bats, which has caused their immune systems to become very specialized.

"When they fly they have a peak body temperature that mimics a fever," said Andrew Cunningham, Professor of Wildlife Epidemiology at the Zoological Society of London. "It happens at least twice a day with bats -- when they fly out to feed and then they return to roost. And so the pathogens that have evolved in bats have evolved to withstand these peaks of body temperature."

3 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

WTF are you talking about jackass, I was thanking you and suggesting people get more f’king exercise.  Thanks

Sorry. I went back and read your post again. I apologize.

• Like 1

Just now, winterwx21 said:

A fever is the body's response and way of fighting infection. Bacteria and viruses have more trouble multiplying in hot temps. It's perfect logic to say that a person will not be sick as long if they do not treat the fever, because if you lower the temp the bacteria will be able to multiply at a greater rate. The body raises the temp for a very important reason. This is why more and more doctors these days say don't treat a fever. My doctor says don't treat a low or moderate fever. Of course this does not apply to very high fevers that are getting to the point of being dangerous. It's more for low to mid grade fevers.

This is not true outside of the body.  In fact most bacteria like temperatures above normal body temperatures.  They replicate much faster at higher temperatures.  To my knowledge the exact manner in which a fever fights an infection is not completely understood.

4 minutes ago, winterwx21 said:

A fever is the body's response and way of fighting infection. Bacteria and viruses have more trouble multiplying in hot temps. It's perfect logic to say that a person will not be sick as long if they do not treat the fever, because if you lower the temp the bacteria will be able to multiply at a greater rate. The body raises the temp for a very important reason. This is why more and more doctors these days say don't treat a fever. My doctor says don't treat a low or moderate fever. Of course this does not apply to very high fevers that are getting to the point of being dangerous. It's more for low to mid grade fevers.

What is your medical background?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, WhitinsvilleWX said:

Sorry. I went back and read your post again. I apologize.

No, I pm’d you to apologize because I could see how it could be seen as sarcasm, especially from the SNE forum.  Lol

All good we’re all a little wound up right now.!

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Thanks, I would’ve started with that in the original post.  The entire world is getting inundated with poor advice from non-experts on the interwebs. 

Apologies for the skepticism but without any of that follow up information it just sounds like the guy in this thread saying if you drink moonshine and take 4 showers a day, it’ll cure your sickness.  A lot of poor information going around.

Impressive vetting powderfreak!

2 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

Maybe these hailers will kill it. Running around naked in hailers May be a cure 

04219E48-6C94-4846-9D7D-F0184586A2B0.png

If only hailers were the only thing we had to worry about...FOL....all of us....nice knowin everybody....it’s been a good run

• Weenie 1

10 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

I’ve been walking, biking and started practicing tai-chi again. 

Considering we are all full of helpful advice tonight...Don’t forget to stretch.

6 minutes ago, eduggs said:

This is not true outside of the body.  In fact most bacteria like temperatures above normal body temperatures.  They replicate much faster at higher temperatures.  To my knowledge the exact manner in which a fever fights an infection is not completely understood.

Really? I know the reason you have to cook meat like chicken to a certain temp is to kill the bacteria. It gets to a certain temp and the bacteria are killed.

I’ve been increasing my farting.  I’m pretty sure that’s what has kept the virus away...

• Like 3
  • Haha 3
  • Weenie 1

11 minutes ago, weathafella said:

What is your medical background?

I don't have a medical background, but I do a lot of research. I just did a quick search and a Mayo Clinic article came up saying fevers play a key role in fighting infections. I guess Mayo Clinic doesn't know what they're talking about?

10 minutes ago, eduggs said:

Infections cause most fevers. You get a fever because your body is trying to kill the virus or bacteria that caused the infection. Most of those bacteria and viruses do well when your body is at your normal temperature. But if you have a fever, it is harder for them to survive. Fever also activates your body's immune system.

46 minutes ago, WhitinsvilleWX said:

If anyone here gets it or thinks they have it, the biggest mistake you can make is running to take Tylenol. Let the fever spike. Don’t let it go above 104, but if it’s 103 or so, let it burn. Don’t sleep lying down. Sleep in a recliner. Keep moving. Take a hot steamy shower 2-3 times a day. Keep your lungs moist. Drink sugary Gatorade. And lots of water. Takes deep breaths even if it hurts.

Doctors say take Tylenol. I had a 101 fever and I took it and it went away. My mom is taking it now.

1 minute ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

No, I pm’d you to apologize because I could see how it could be seen as sarcasm, especially from the SNE forum.  Lol

All good we’re all a little wound up right now.!

No problem.

i probably should have said I am an MD/PhD. My specialty is immunology and oncology. And someone is right, medical advice from weather forum can be suspect!

But there's a crap load of BS out there right now.

Adults are fine with a fever at or below 103. Kids can go a touch higher. Sure, you’ll feel like sheet. The body aches you get aren’t caused by the virus itself, it’s your immune system doing its job. The interferons and cytokines produced by T cells, neutrophils, macrophages that make your fever spike and your body ache tell you that your immune system is popping right along like it’s supposed to. Am I glad we have antibiotics? Damn right. But for a virus, your immune system is what you need. That’s why people with compromised immune systems need to be extra careful 

• Like 4

Really? I know the reason you have to cook meat like chicken to a certain temp is to kill the bacteria. It gets to a certain temp and the bacteria are killed.

You have to cook chicken to 165°F.  Normal body temperature is around 99°F.  Bacteria actually grows pretty well between 40 and 140.  I think the peak depends on the particular organism.

Just now, MJO812 said:

Doctors say take Tylenol. I had a 101 fever and I took it and it went away. My mom is taking it now.

Did you ever end up getting tested? 

I don't have a medical background, but I do a lot of research. I just did a quick search and a Mayo Clinic article came up saying fevers play a key role in fighting infections. I guess Mayo Clinic doesn't know what they're talking about?

Fevers also weaken the body minimizing your strength to fight the virus.   I personally would never not try to lower my fever if sick.  In my 73 years, that system has worked well.  Just because Mayo explains the role of fever doesn’t mean they are advising you to let it burn.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Allsnow said:

Did you ever end up getting tested? 

I signed up for Friday.  I made an appt last week but they never called me back.

6 more of my co workers are positive.

7 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Considering we are all full of helpful advice tonight...Don’t forget to stretch.

Might as well open up another rabbit hole :)

It is generally accepted that increasing the flexibility of a muscle-tendon unit promotes better performances and decreases the number of injuries. ... In contrast, clinical evidence suggesting that stretching before exercise does not prevent injuries has also been reported.

Having a fever means the body is fighting an infection.  Drink plenty of fluids and pop a tylenol. 

No I'm not a doctor 

Just now, MJO812 said:

Having a fever means the body is fighting an infection.  Drink plenty of fluids and pop a tylenol. 

No I'm not a doctor 

But you’re right.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, kdxken said:

Infections cause most fevers. You get a fever because your body is trying to kill the virus or bacteria that caused the infection. Most of those bacteria and viruses do well when your body is at your normal temperature. But if you have a fever, it is harder for them to survive. Fever also activates your body's immune system.

The theory makes a lot of sense.  I'm just saying that I don't believe the relationship between fever and pathogen is completely understood.  A few degrees seems unlikely to affect a pathogen that much, especially one that has evolved to survive higher temperatures.  Some other "purpose" of fever seems possible, e.g., some other aspect of the immune response.

2 minutes ago, MJO812 said:

Tylenol will make the fever go away, but the fever is the body's way of fighting infection. There have been several studies in recent years that have shown that illnesses don't last as long if you let the fever run its course. But some people hate feeling lousy from the fever, and prefer to reduce it so they feel better. Nothing wrong with that. Personally I'd rather feel much worse for a short time, but get over the illness more quickly.

Fever is common in heart attacks and strokes as well.  Inflammation is never a good thing.   Floss and brush frequently.  

• Like 1

Just now, kdxken said:

Might as well open up another rabbit hole :)

It is generally accepted that increasing the flexibility of a muscle-tendon unit promotes better performances and decreases the number of injuries. ... In contrast, clinical evidence suggesting that stretching before exercise does not prevent injuries has also been reported.

They once said egg yokes are bad for you. Now they say the yokes are good, in moderation. 

I’ll stick to my stretching. My All-American high school D1 playing days never failed me with any major muscle injuries.