• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    maley.chris78@gmail.com
    Newest Member
    [email protected]

Coronavirus

4 minutes ago, eduggs said:

Per Dr. Gaba in NYC: Some REALLY young (20s), without comorbidities.

Can't verify that it's true, but I hope this message is received.

Link?

If anyone here gets it or thinks they have it, the biggest mistake you can make is running to take Tylenol. Let the fever spike. Don’t let it go above 104, but if it’s 103 or so, let it burn. Don’t sleep lying down. Sleep in a recliner. Keep moving. Take a hot steamy shower 2-3 times a day. Keep your lungs moist. Drink sugary Gatorade. And lots of water. Takes deep breaths even if it hurts.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, kdxken said:

Can I ask a question about viral load? Friend is an ICU nurse and has only been working scheduled shifts because she doesn't want to increase viral load. Does that make any sense since it replicates anyway?

I'm not a doctor...

But here's my theory.  We have seen a relatively high percentage of serious cases among doctors and nurses.  Viral load (and stress) could be part of the explanation.  If you get a higher "dosage" of virus, that could give the virus a head start against your immune system.  It's kind of a race between virus replications and the body's antibody production.  It's better if the virus starts near 0 instead of 1 billion... and better if you don't get repeated virus exposures.  That explains why immunocompromised people are more likely to lose the battle, and it could explain why a higher percentage of health care professions have serious cases.

• Like 1

Just now, WhitinsvilleWX said:

If anyone here gets it or thinks they have it, the biggest mistake you can make is running to take Tylenol. Let the fever spike. Don’t let it go above 104, but if it’s 103 or so, let it burn. Don’t sleep lying down. Sleep in a recliner. Keep moving. Take a hot steamy shower 2-3 times a day. Keep your lungs moist. Drink sugary Gatorade. And lots of water. Takes deep breaths even if it hurts.

Hmm coronavirus come from bats. They are used to high temperature.  Fever does nothing to them. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, WhitinsvilleWX said:

What?  That seems to go against most advice about treating the symptoms.  Have a fever, pop Tylenol.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, kdxken said:

Can I ask a question about viral load? Friend is an ICU nurse and has only been working scheduled shifts because she doesn't want to increase viral load. Does that make any sense since it replicates anyway?

Not particularly. At least from what I can see and read. It’s not HIV. Viral load matters for HIV because of what cell type it infects. This is basically a run of the mill flu virus (although a bit more contagious) that hits lung epithelial cells.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, alex said:

Hmm coronavirus come from bats. They are used to high temperature.  Fever does nothing to them. 

Lol

I’m not even going to try to respond to this non sense 

A good friend of mine from the gym has the Coronavirus. He is 25 and in incredible shape, travels all over the world hiking. He just sent me a video of him breathing and holy **** this is no joke. His grandma and his mom have it. His grandpa died a month ago from pneumonia (didn't get tested for the Corona)

• Sad 5

2 minutes ago, WhitinsvilleWX said:

Nope. Stop listening to the news 

Actually sorry. That was a bit flip.

Fever is a good thing. It’s how your body kills pathogens. It’s a perfectly normal response that people have been programmed to get rid of with aspirin or NSAIDs 

Just don’t let it get over 103.5 to 104

1 minute ago, WhitinsvilleWX said:

Nope. Stop listening to the news 

Not gonna lie, I’m not sure dispensing medical advice without some info to back it up is the way to go about it.  

Its not the news.  That’s literally what doctors have told people to take when they have a fever for decades.  Unless you know something everyone doesn’t?  

Please share the logic.

4 minutes ago, WhitinsvilleWX said:

Fever is a good thing. It’s how your body kills pathogens. It’s a perfectly normal response that people have been programmed to get rid of with aspirin or NSAIDs 

Interesting.  Pretty much everything online in a quick google search advises taking Tylenol, Advil or Motrin if you have a fever.

6 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Not gonna lie, I’m not sure dispensing medical advice without some info to back it up is the way to go about it.  

Its not the news.  That’s literally what doctors have told people to take when they have a fever for decades.  Unless you know something everyone doesn’t?  

Please share the logic.

It is not an illness in itself. In fact, a fever may do some good. ... A small but growing body of research shows that letting a fever run its course may reduce the length and severity of such illnesses as colds and flu. As for the concern among parents that fevers can have harmful effects, these instances are very rare.

Just now, WhitinsvilleWX said:

This remains controversial in the medical literature.  I've been curious about this for a while, but evidence appears somewhat conflicting.  Outcomes overall appear roughly similar when comparing treatment with acetaminophen to no medication.  The biggest concern with the medication route may be the potential for liver damage.

• Like 1

How do you think people have dealt with virus’ since man has been here. You have an immune system that makes a fever. There’s a reason for it.
 I’m an MD/PhD

so do what you want. If you have a fever of 100, take a Tylenol, makes me no difference. I’m just telling you how your immune system was designed to work for the last several hundred thousand years of human evolution 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, WhitinsvilleWX said:

Great advice thanks! 

Now is a probably a good time to get more aerobic exercise.

Deep “belly breathing” like you experience in certain yoga styles and tai-chi would be helpful for all.  

1 minute ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Great advice thanks! 

Now is a probably a good time to get more aerobic exercise.

Deep “belly breathing” like you experience in certain yoga styles and tai-chi would be helpful for all.  

Fine, be flippant. 

1 minute ago, eduggs said:

This remains controversial in the medical literature.  I've been curious about this for a while, but evidence appears somewhat conflicting.  Outcomes overall appear roughly similar when comparing treatment with acetaminophen to no medication.  The biggest concern with the medication route may be the potential for liver damage.

Very controversial. If my kids run a fever, I’m not letting it run it’s course until we have to visit the ER.  

2 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Interesting.  Pretty much everything online in a quick google search advises taking Tylenol, Advil or Motrin if you have a fever.

Sure, because that stuff does indeed help to temporarily reduce fever.  The question is whether you should intervene and take one of those or not.  I haven't read anything to suggest that having a lower grade fever causes any long term harm to the body. 

I think it comes down to personal preference.  Some people may generally feel worse when they let a fever get to 101, 102.  In that case I say pop the pills.  Otherwise you can probably ride out a fever like that.

3 minutes ago, WhitinsvilleWX said:

How do you think people have dealt with virus’ since man has been here. You have an immune system that makes a fever. There’s a reason for it.
 I’m an MD/PhD

so do what you want. If you have a fever of 100, take a Tylenol, makes me no difference. I’m just telling you how your immune system was designed to work for the last several hundred thousand years of human evolution 

They’ve also died at young ages from the common cold or fever...without modern medicine.

5 minutes ago, WhitinsvilleWX said:

I’m an MD/PhD

Thanks, I would’ve started with that in the original post.  The entire world is getting inundated with poor advice from non-experts on the interwebs. 

Apologies for the skepticism but without any of that follow up information it just sounds like the guy in this thread saying if you drink moonshine and take 4 showers a day, it’ll cure your sickness.  A lot of poor information going around.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, WhitinsvilleWX said:

Fine, be flippant. 

WTF are you talking about jackass, I was thanking you and suggesting people get more f’king exercise.  Thanks

• Haha 2

Just now, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Very controversial. If my kids run a fever, I’m not letting it run it’s course until we have to visit the ER.  

Fevers by themselves are rarely dangerous.  And when they are, treatment of the underlying infection is critical to lowering the fever.  At issue is whether or not a higher than normal body temperature helps the body fight the infection (or if the associated energy loss is a net negative).

8 minutes ago, weathafella said:

Letting fever  burn is idiocy.

A fever is the body's response and way of fighting infection. Bacteria and viruses have more trouble multiplying in hot temps. It's perfect logic to say that a person will not be sick as long if they do not treat the fever, because if you lower the temp the bacteria will be able to multiply at a greater rate. The body raises the temp for a very important reason. This is why more and more doctors these days say don't treat a fever. My doctor says don't treat a low or moderate fever. Of course this does not apply to very high fevers that are getting to the point of being dangerous. It's more for low to mid grade fevers.

• Like 2

Just now, powderfreak said:

Thanks, I would’ve started with that in the original post.  The entire world is getting inundated with poor advice from non-experts on the interwebs. 

Apologies for the skepticism but without any of that follow up information it just sounds like the guy in this thread saying if you drink moonshine it’ll cure your sickness.

You should absolutely be skeptical. From a person online or doctor you see in his office. The more information you have the better. At some point you have to make decisions based on what you think makes sense. F****** with what your body was designed to do always strikes me as the wrong choice. but that's just me