• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    jammcohr
    Newest Member
    jammcohr

Coronavirus

20 minutes ago, weathafella said:

It’s been happening for 2 weeks-not enough time.  Are you aware of the St. Louis vs Philadelphia episodes during 1918?  Philly let a parade happen and their caseload and mortality sky rocketed.  St. Louis cancelled public gatherings and the curve clearly flattened.

I'm with you. We would be counting cases in the tens of millions easily by now without all these measures globally. Speaking of that Philly example, that happened during the second wave in fall 1918 as I recall. That wave was vastly deadlier than the first one. Let's just pray that this thing doesn't go that route.

• Like 1

Just now, weathafella said:

You have it wrong.  They spread it to people some of which with underlying conditions and others perfectly healthy who die.  Of course older people are more vulnerable-to the virus and many other conditions.  Medicine isn’t black and white.

Yup.  Young, healthy people are dying too.  That scary fact needs to be more widely shared.  But yes, a much higher percentage of deaths are older people with other health problems.

With this self imposed isolation, I haven't seen my son in two weeks. Normally we see each other every few days. I can tell he's stressed out working at Target. He barely text messages me anymore.

• Sad 2

Just now, Hoth said:

I'm with you. We would be counting cases in the tens of millions easily by now without all these measures globally. Speaking of that Philly example, that happened during the second wave in fall 1918 as I recall. That wave was vastly deadlier than the first one. Let's just pray that this thing doesn't go that route.

And just think that without isolation, that flu killed everyone from Pacific Islanders to Eskimos. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, alex said:

Which shows the US at #7. Exactly my point. 

1. Luxembourg (GDP per capita: $119,719)
  2. Norway (GDP per capita: $86,362)
  3. Switzerland (GDP per capita: $83,832)
  4. Ireland (GDP per capita: $81,477)
  5. Iceland (GDP per capita: $78,181)
  6. Qatar (GDP per capita: $65,062)
  7. The United States of America (GDP per capita: $64,906)
  8. Denmark (GDP per capita: $63,434)
  9. Singapore (GDP per capita: $62,690)
  10. Australia (GDP per capita: $58,824)

Yes I know and my point is, it’s not just capita either. It’s about where the money is spread as well:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cnbc.com/amp/2019/05/09/the-countries-with-the-largest-number-of-billionaires.html

Semantics aside...How about we just say the US is:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQYJMDbEYfHkP52Ar3xLJX

2 hours ago, weathafella said:

I don’t think it’s that simple...

Population density? It is 13th in population but 25th in density.

Just now, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Yes I know and my point is, it’s not just capita either. It’s about where the money is spread as well:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cnbc.com/amp/2019/05/09/the-countries-with-the-largest-number-of-billionaires.html

Semantics aside...How about we just say:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQYJMDbEYfHkP52Ar3xLJX

Lol fine. Different perspective. To me, having a few ultra-rich does not make us a rich country. And I see a lot more poverty around me here than where my family is in Italy, for instance. I really don't care much if a few people make more money than a small country, when kids in the US go hungry. And I may be more sensitive to it because I saw a LOT of poverty going through the adoption process for my kids. When you have kids that are literally starving, it's hard for me to say we are a rich country "as a whole". Or maybe we are and we are just awful people who let children starve. And no in spite of that, I'm not a fan of Bernie Sanders :)

• Like 1

There's no mystery here.  Everything that has happened in the US has been predictable since at least late January.  We had time to prepare but we didn't.  COVID-19 has been community spreading in the US since at least early February.

Strict physical distancing and widespread testing would flatten the curve in the US for certain.  But there is currently no evidence that our government has the ability to coordinate the necessary response.  The things that are being planned now should have been implemented 2 months ago.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, Hoth said:

Maybe somebody can clarify but I believe I read an article many weeks ago that talked about how viruses often come in 3 waves and the middle wave is often the most potent.  I’ll go back and look for the article because I probably bookmarked it.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, weathafella said:

And lots of infected folks still rolling into nyc and out of nyc.

I think there is a testing backlog, so you're are seeing the combo of spread and "where it already is" in the numbers. We aren't necessarily getting 20K new cases daily in the USA. 

8 minutes ago, alex said:

Lol fine. Different perspective. To me, having a few ultra-rich does not make us a rich country. And I see a lot more poverty around me here than where my family is in Italy, for instance. I really don't care much if a few people make more money than a small country, when kids in the US go hungry. And I may be more sensitive to it because I saw a LOT of poverty going through the adoption process for my kids. When you have kids that are literally starving, it's hard for me to say we are a rich country "as a whole". Or maybe we are and we are just awful people who let children starve. And no in spite of that, I'm not a fan of Bernie Sanders :)

We are a country of haves and have nots...and we do a subpar job of allocating our resources.  

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, eduggs said:

There's no mystery here.  Everything that has happened in the US has been predictable since at least late January.  We had time to prepare but we didn't.  COVID-19 has been community spreading in the US since at least early February.

Strict physical distancing and widespread testing would flatten the curve in the US for certain.  But there is currently no evidence that our government has the ability to coordinate the necessary response.  The things that are being planned now should have been implemented 2 months ago.

More people have to take it serious, they're starting to now but definitely not a lot were at the start. Now that there has been some young, healthy people succumbing and not just older and those with underlying issues Im seeing more people take precautions.

2 hours ago, Whineminster said:

Let's face it, even before this no one liked New Yorkers coming in to their state....so it's not surprising people are being even nastier now......sad. 

On another note, China should be paying the world reparations for this.  It's their horrible wet markets that caused this, and they allowed the activity knowing viruses have jumped from the markets in the past...

They love their money though.

1 hour ago, Dr. Dews said:

He who despises his neighbor lacks sense, But a man of understanding keeps silent. 

Thanks confusedcious

He who goes to bed with itchy ass wakes up with stinky fingers. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

30 minutes ago, eduggs said:

We are seeing results if you look closely at daily rates of infection and hospitalization locally in places like NYC.

But the reasons why the total numbers continue to rise in spite of physical distancing are as follows:

1) We are still testing-contrained.  That means the true case number is vastly underreported, and the statistics are playing catchup.

2) The virus incubation period is about 5 days on average with a lot of variation.  On top of that, it can take several days for symptoms to progress to the level where people seek medical attention.  And then another few days to get a test result.  So we're talking about a 1-2 week lag period in the data.

3) A lot of people still aren't taking this seriously enough.  Young people think they are invincible, and asymptomatic people think they aren't contageous.

Not sure I see a huge benefit of testing people without symptoms at this point? Everything is already on lockdown and hospitals are ramping up as best they can. Sure when a antibody test becomes available it would be quite helpful to see who has already had it.

37 minutes ago, weathafella said:

John, 2 weeks isn’t enough time.  Cases are increasing exponentially but in places putting flatten curve guidance in a month ago it’s working such as Washington state.

enough time for what?

I'm asking for a complete flat lining...

"detection" is discrete and very small intervals -

Part of the problem is a wanton lust NOT to convey those numbers -

I agree with you in principle here, Jerry. I do. I'm saying that it should 'start' to inkling efficacy by now, if subtly ... I think it is being offset by other factors - so we're probably just whistling past one another.

6 minutes ago, DavisStraight said:

More people have to take it serious, they're starting to now but definitely not a lot were at the start. Now that there has been some young, healthy people succumbing and not just older and those with underlying issues Im seeing more people take precautions.

Healthy young people succumbing to this virus is few and far between. The numbers are quite small.

1 hour ago, weathafella said:

Based on a review of live webcams that’s an altered image.

It’s the West Seattle Bridge, which is apparently closed, or so says the caption.  

No idea what the deal is but it’s a real photo.

Edit: It is closed, and although eerie it looks like it shut down last week not because of Corona but engineering fuk ups lol.

4 minutes ago, DavisStraight said:

It will be before this nightmare ends.

If you told me that there was a  264 page and counting thread on this site, I would have thought that the day after tomorrow storm has occurred.

Just now, Typhoon Tip said:

enough time for what?

I'm asking for a complete flat lining...

"detection" is discrete and very small intervals -

Part of the problem is a wanton lust NOT to convey those numbers -

I have no idea what you’re saying here but as an astute meteorologist and overall smart and wordy guy, this is an area that the experts know more about.   Unless you have a total lockdown which is not possible in our country, you’re going to have new cases introduced all the time.  I’d say give it 3-4 more weeks and see where we are in MA/RI/lower NH.  If intervention in flattening the curve is going to work we’ll know or have a good idea then.

• Like 2

Just now, NutleyBlizzard said:

If you told me that there was a  264 page and counting thread on this site, I would have thought that the day after tomorrow storm has occurred.

Ongoing. As always ....

5 minutes ago, weathafella said:

I have no idea what you’re saying here but as an astute meteorologist and overall smart and wordy guy, this is an area that the experts know more about.   Unless you have a total lockdown which is not possible in our country, you’re going to have new cases introduced all the time.  I’d say give it 3-4 more weeks and see where we are in MA/RI/lower NH.  If intervention in flattening the curve is going to work we’ll know or have a good idea then.

I agree with you in principle here, Jerry. I do.

I'm saying that it should 'start' to inkling efficacy by now, if subtly ... I think it is being offset by other factors - so we're probably just whistling past one another.  I'm not talking about a complete flat- lining... I'm want to see the curve start the acceleration downward...

I'm only originally bringing it up because I think it is an easy prediction seeing where this sheltering modality is going to go, if the general observation doesn't begin to see results. 

edit: oh haha..I had misstyped on the previous ... "I"m NOT looking for a complete flat-lining"  ...that may have been better ;)

Men with guns cutting down a tree to block a driveway in Maine to quarantine folks with New Jersey plates?!

Turns out the men from NJ had been there since September but were arrogant with the locals in a confrontation which led to all this?  

Shits getting weird.

https://bangordailynews.com/2020/03/28/news/midcoast/report-men-with-guns-cut-down-tree-block-driveway-to-quarantine-vinalhaven-residents/

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, winterwx21 said:

If we did test everyone, we would find out that a massive amount of people have this. In Iceland they tested a large part of their population, and found that 50% of people that tested positive had no symptoms at all. That's amazing. For so many people Coronavirus is so mild that they get no symptoms at all. And these people end up spreading it to people with underlying health conditions that are much more likely to develop severe and dangerous disease.

Which definitely proves that this virus was well established before anyone knew and testing alone wouldn't have prevented a pandemic.  We are an international port of call, we were bombarded with people carrying the virus on both coasts. I didn't hear anyone calling for massive testing the first weeks of Jan, by that time the cat was out of the bag. China fuked us, never forget 

• Weenie 1