• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    maley.chris78@gmail.com
    Newest Member
    [email protected]

Coronavirus

Just now, weathafella said:

About 2% of the population give a snit about hockey.......it used to be a great sport but it’s barely watchable now.  ..

Completely irrelevant to this thread, but curiosity gets me.... what's changed?

9 minutes ago, Dr. Dews said:

We need baseball!!

Most boring and slow sport ever.  Ratings and attendance way down even before this.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Just now, Great Snow 1717 said:

Email

Listener email into the radio station? 

Sweeet. 

Fans like you calling or tweeting in usually gets a better response these days. 

19 minutes ago, eduggs said:

Probably not.  It partly depends on the stability of COVID-19.  Many people don't get vaccinated against flu.  And since the flu mutates easily, the vaccine is only ~50% effective against any particular seasonal strain.  These factors result in lots of infections and deaths worldwide.

With other viruses like polio and measles, almost everybody gets vaccinated and the immunity lasts a long time.  With COVID, nearly everyone will be vaccinated and the virus will be nearly eradicated.  If it becomes seasonal, everyone will need a yearly shot and we will all hope the virus does not mutate easily.

I could see there being a higher vaccination rate than the flu, but I am not sure about nearly everybody getting it.  I would say you are going to have a segment of society (30%?) that will be inclined to not play along for whatever reason, unless they are forced into it kicking and screaming... i.e. a mandatory vaccine.

1 minute ago, Lava Rock said:
9 minutes ago, powderfreak said:
We are at 211 known cases in Vermont, but yeah they are preparing for the worst.
This is why some folks are so upset about out of state travelers.  It comes down to the severity of the situation and when you see the National Guard building make-shift hospitals (they are doing another one in the Gutterson Field House/UVM Hockey Rink), schools closed for the year, etc.... this is extreme stuff to see.  Like you'd never in your life imagine you'd see them building tent hospitals in Vermont.  Or not allowing kids to go to school for half a school year.
I think those measures are why everyone is on edge.  Like well if they are doing this stuff, this is real.  Then all you hear is the huge amounts of cases in states like NY and its easy to see why folks are skeptical of travelers from there.  The measures being taken are like holy f'in shit that's actually happening?!
And all you hear is how rural hospitals don't have enough beds to handle what will happen.  The news does not help anxiety when you are bombarded with this stuff all day long... it's coming and your hospital can't handle it!!

Was just reading some posts on Sugarloaf chat and hearing lots of outta staters at the MTN this weekend. A large group having a BBQ on the deck at the Shipyard. There's no medical facilities directly in that area, so any outbreaks there will be a problem.

Reggae weekend should be an awesome incubator!

• Haha 2

Just now, Drop the Trough said:

Listener email into the radio station? 

Sweeet. 

Fans like you calling or tweeting in usually gets a better response these days. 

Emails to people who work for MLB and minor league teams. 

Good points, but the virus is maybe 4 months old, we hope vaccination causes eradication and there is minimal mutation. 
Since covid can't be grown in eggs, like flu, that option is non-existent which is unfortunate as it would be a good back up to all of these recombinant vaccine technologies being tested. We better hope one or more of these technologies works or we're in deep Doo Doo.
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, Dr. Dews said:

Lol, classic city liberal. Extreme intolerance and control freak

Romans

But you, why do you judge your brother? Or you again, why do you regard your brother with contempt? For we will all stand before the judgment seat of God.

57 minutes ago, Drop the Trough said:

that's interesting, so the flu (with a vaccine) accounts for millions of cases each year, hundreds of thousands of hospitalizations and 50-75k deaths.

so with a vaccine at some point in the future, we can expect the same from this virus?

so combined each year, maybe almost a billion cases, a million hospitalizations and 200k deaths from both regardless of vaccines? 

If we socially distanced like this for the deaths would probably be extremely low.  I think that 50-75k is a bit high,  the range I’ve seen is 20-70k depending on the year.

4 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Completely irrelevant to this thread, but curiosity gets me.... what's changed?

The zeitgeist.   Hockey used to have a lot more emotion and some far more dominant players vs these days.  I hate to say it but it was more fun when guys fought more.  

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, weathafella said:

The zeitgeist.   Hockey used to have a lot more emotion and some far more dominant players vs these days.  I hate to say it but it was more fun when guys fought more.  

The rivalries were far more intense at one time. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, weathafella said:

If we socially distanced like this for the deaths would probably be extremely low.  I think that 50-75k is a bit high,  the range I’ve seen is 20-70k depending on the year.

Re https://www.axios.com/coronavirus-pandemic-differs-from-flu-48e81eae-d275-4d33-83fa-4716551c61c0.html?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=newsletter_axiosam&stream=top

10 minutes ago, Whineminster said:

Most boring and slow sport ever.  Ratings and attendance way down even before this.  

Yeah, that was sarcasm. ;)

9 minutes ago, mahk_webstah said:

Romans

But you, why do you judge your brother? Or you again, why do you regard your brother with contempt? For we will all stand before the judgment seat of God.

If that guy were not a preacher, she probably would have walked right past him. Sorry if that is "judgy"

15 minutes ago, Great Snow 1717 said:

Man, you do like to make senseless wide sweeping generalizations.

Well, it is a classic pot calling the kettle black scenario.  Why was she out there?  Just to scold and tell on all those who are out there as well?  As long as he wasn't congregating a crowd, it's not productive on her part.

• Like 1

Just now, Hoth said:

She seems like a real catch.

And so typical of so many of the people I met, lived near and hung out with during my 22 years in center city philly.  They were all just like, that’s why I left so quickly

Just now, Hoosier said:

I could see there being a higher vaccination rate than the flu, but I am not sure about nearly everybody getting it.  I would say you are going to have a segment of society (30%?) that will be inclined to not play along for whatever reason, unless they are forced into it kicking and screaming... i.e. a mandatory vaccine.

It should and will be mandatory.  But a vaccine is still a long ways away.  Without physical distancing we would probably see more than 1 billion cases worldwide and millions of deaths over the next 1-2 years.  A lot of those deaths would be due to untreated heart attacks, strokes, kidney failures, and various other normally treatable ailments.  The high death rates in Wuhan, Italy, and Spain tell that story.  

14 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Reggae weekend should be an awesome incubator!

Long been cancelled.

• Weenie 1

1 minute ago, Dr. Dews said:

If that guy were not a preacher, she probably would have walked right past him. Sorry if that is "judgy"

I’m just trying to help you realize the vision you expressed just days ago Dewy.  And I won’t troll you with the New Testament anymore after this from Proverbs: He who despises his neighbor lacks sense, But a man of understanding keeps silent. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, weathafella said:

What is about Washington state that seems to have really muted the outbreak to a degree?

I think they were on it fast and early due to the nursing home breakout.  And they have a good governor

Anybody else think that the term "social distancing" is the wrong term?  A lot of people just interpret that to mean we should stop having parties.  But they still stand too close to each other at the grocery store.  What we are really talking about is "physical distancing."  The problem is people still get too physically close to each other.  I see it everywhere I go.  But I can still be socially connected to people by many different means.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, mahk_webstah said:

I think they were on it fast and early due to the nursing home breakout.  And they have a good governor

I don’t think it’s that simple...

Just now, eduggs said:

Anybody else think that the term "social distancing" is the wrong term?  A lot of people just interpret that to mean we should stop having parties.  But they still stand too close to each other at the grocery store.  What we are really talking about is "physical distancing."  The problem is people still get too physically close to each other.  I see it everywhere I go.  But I can still be socially connected to people by many different means.   

I have seen the term physical distancing used a little.  Maybe it will be called that eventually.   

2 minutes ago, weathafella said:

What is about Washington state that seems to have really muted the outbreak to a degree?

Didn't they go full lockdown?   They closed off interstates and big freeways to limit movement.

Posted yesterday from a friend in Seattle... they said it's like a deserted city.

Looks like something out a movie with no cars.

I'm guessing the Mass Pike or 93 in Boston doesn't look like that, haha.

Untitled.jpg.e293b3107a3cb9dc7020573268392548.jpg

Just now, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Mountain still open though?   

Not sure what’s open up there, Shouldn’t be anything but just like everywhere else up here, Folks are flocking to the hills.