• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    maley.chris78@gmail.com
    Newest Member
    [email protected]

Coronavirus

Hard to trust much product coming from China, with all the reports or faulty test kits, masks, etc. Even if some of them were from clearly less-than-reputable sources.

As far as relation to flu and vaccines, influenza is not a single virus, there are different strains, and some are worse in terms or mortality than others. Also the yearly vaccine is based on what strain is expected to be dominant, if they guess wrong the vaccine is not that effective. effectiveness of a vaccine depends on how much the virus mutates.  Also (hopefully) it becomes less pathogenic over time as viruses generally do.

6 minutes ago, Cold Miser said:

3-4 weeks until this is us.

Unfortunately, I agree. April will be a month we’ll want to forget, but we’ll need to remember and learn from for the future. 

2 minutes ago, radarman said:

Farm work will have to be ramping up soon and quickly... and with borders essentially closed  and H2-A visas sharply reduced we'll see if Americans really are willing to do that work.  Probably not when they're getting paid a lot more to not work. 

Ugh.  I was thinking about this yesterday.  Many of the orchards in W MA and VT rely heavily on seasonal workers from Jamaica.  My friends up at Pine Hill Orchards in Colrain have had the same Jamaican guys coming up for 20+ years. 

Just now, Hoth said:

Partially explains why gun sales have been spiking? People anticipating roving bands of marauders setting upon their homes?

I've read that in several places lately.  Gun sales since this whole thing started are up and up.  Probably also have a bunch of end-of-worlders now hoarding guns as well.  Most of the articles don't say how many individuals are buying guns, just that more are being sold....may just be the normal gun crowd stocking up with more.

• Like 1

These guys are working...
They are building extra triage centers around Burlington, VT for the coming apocalypse.
Tent cities sprouting up with generators and all the fixtures so they can put bodies here when the time comes.
91113732_2389931697964029_8742931553400651776_n.jpg?_nc_cat=104%26_nc_sid=110474%26_nc_ohc=2MlTVdhnZvsAX8TELJ1%26_nc_ht=scontent-lga3-1.xx%26oh=2408d3400b9974cb06d16b42402e448c%26oe=5EA6B80C&key=9e08d4509c022b4a46dc1700174453d332ffcae909a794e13baec95de8aadf77
91439579_2389931717964027_4626242774990061568_n.jpg?_nc_cat=104%26_nc_sid=110474%26_nc_ohc=QruCggi-wWMAX9EiUs7%26_nc_ht=scontent-lga3-1.xx%26oh=7fa8ea812e1c58b9de427079a812198a%26oe=5EA74DFF&key=e6f00329ee07e9996c5ab96083e5a88b1dfd29bd921eec4f8f0364684021a4c0
91054464_2389931914630674_401652585469050880_n.jpg?_nc_cat=110%26_nc_sid=110474%26_nc_ohc=nEJIWfkVNgsAX-ehyoI%26_nc_ht=scontent-lga3-1.xx%26oh=db3d85e55f0d2123a341a076e5fd8606%26oe=5EA7599B&key=183dd1e3f39f5bd52b38105fea38aa424cf6d177616bd4dff0c23a507f8054a3

That's really depressing to see that there

Just now, Drop the Trough said:

that's interesting, so the flu (with a vaccine) accounts for millions of cases each year, hundreds of thousands of hospitalizations and 50-75k deaths.

so with a vaccine at some point in the future, we can expect the same from this virus?

so combined each year, maybe almost a billion cases, a million hospitalizations and 200k deaths from both regardless of vaccines? 

Probably not.  It partly depends on the stability of COVID-19.  Many people don't get vaccinated against flu.  And since the flu mutates easily, the vaccine is only ~50% effective against any particular seasonal strain.  These factors result in lots of infections and deaths worldwide.

With other viruses like polio and measles, almost everybody gets vaccinated and the immunity lasts a long time.  With COVID, nearly everyone will be vaccinated and the virus will be nearly eradicated.  If it becomes seasonal, everyone will need a yearly shot and we will all hope the virus does not mutate easily.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

I worry about the psychological toll this is taking on people.  Depression is already rampant in this country.  

Right. Combine that with lack of health insurance, living paycheck to paycheck, high levels of personal debt, and a stigma associated with mental health...that’s one virulent mix. 

6 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

I've read that in several places lately.  Gun sales since this whole thing started are up and up.  Probably also have a bunch of end-of-worlders now hoarding guns as well.  Most of the articles don't say how many individuals are buying guns, just that more are being sold....may just be the normal gun crowd stocking up with more.

These are sold out!  

I'm still shaking my head over the video. wtf?

https://xproducts.com/product/xm42-flamethrower

7 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:
26 minutes ago, powderfreak said:
They are building extra triage centers around Burlington, VT for the coming apocalypse

My reaction is just the opposite, to me it says 'preparation' of which not enough has been done. 

5 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Ugh.  I was thinking about this yesterday.  Many of the orchards in W MA and VT rely heavily on seasonal workers from Jamaica.  My friends up at Pine Hill Orchards in Colrain have had the same Jamaican guys coming up for 20+ years. 

Yeah.  Jamaicans especially have been instrumental in running valley farms for decades as you mentioned.  H2-A visas were becoming harder and more expensive to come by even before all this, and I know at least one big farm in Whately shut down over that issue. 

Assuming the visa program isn't going to open up any time soon, and given that they've waived the 'searching for employment' requirement for unemployment, it would be nice if they'd allow folks to stay on the rolls and do paid farm work in the meantime to supplement their income, and our food supply.  Seems doubtful.

14 minutes ago, NorEastermass128 said:

My sister’s 44 year old neighbor has been in the hospital for a week now. Fortunately, not on a ventilator. 3 young kids. 

Hope she recovers quickly 

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

I worry about the psychological toll this is taking on people.  Depression is already rampant in this country.  

We need baseball!!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:
32 minutes ago, powderfreak said:
They are building extra triage centers around Burlington, VT for the coming apocalypse.
Tent cities sprouting up with generators and all the fixtures so they can put bodies here when the time comes.

We are at 211 known cases in Vermont, but yeah they are preparing for the worst.

This is why some folks are so upset about out of state travelers.  It comes down to the severity of the situation and when you see the National Guard building make-shift hospitals (they are doing another one in the Gutterson Field House/UVM Hockey Rink), schools closed for the year, etc.... this is extreme stuff to see.  Like you'd never in your life imagine you'd see them building tent hospitals in Vermont.  Or not allowing kids to go to school for half a school year.

I think those measures are why everyone is on edge.  Like well if they are doing this stuff, this is real.  Then all you hear is the huge amounts of cases in states like NY and its easy to see why folks are skeptical of travelers from there.  The measures being taken are like holy f'in shit that's actually happening?!

And all you hear is how rural hospitals don't have enough beds to handle what will happen.  The news does not help anxiety when you are bombarded with this stuff all day long... it's coming and your hospital can't handle it!!

16 minutes ago, eduggs said:

Probably not.  It partly depends on the stability of COVID-19.  Many people don't get vaccinated against flu.  And since the flu mutates easily, the vaccine is only ~50% effective against any particular seasonal strain.  These factors result in lots of infections and deaths worldwide.

With other viruses like polio and measles, almost everybody gets vaccinated and the immunity lasts a long time.  With COVID, nearly everyone will be vaccinated and the virus will be nearly eradicated.  If it becomes seasonal, everyone will need a yearly shot and we will all hope the virus does not mutate easily.

Good points, but the virus is maybe 4 months old, we hope vaccination causes eradication and there is minimal mutation. 

18 minutes ago, Dr. Dews said:

Lol, classic city liberal. Extreme intolerance and control freak

Man, you do like to make senseless wide sweeping generalizations.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, weatherwiz said:

Sports is much more than athletes competing. It’s something that can bring people and a country together. It’s a pastime and in a time like this is there was sports the minds of many would be a bit more at ease 

About 2% of the population give a snit about hockey.......it used to be a great sport but it’s barely watchable now.  ..

• Haha 1
  • Confused 2

Let's face it, even before this no one liked New Yorkers coming in to their state....so it's not surprising people are being even nastier now......sad. 

On another note, China should be paying the world reparations for this.  It's their horrible wet markets that caused this, and they allowed the activity knowing viruses have jumped from the markets in the past...

We are at 211 known cases in Vermont, but yeah they are preparing for the worst.
This is why some folks are so upset about out of state travelers.  It comes down to the severity of the situation and when you see the National Guard building make-shift hospitals (they are doing another one in the Gutterson Field House/UVM Hockey Rink), schools closed for the year, etc.... this is extreme stuff to see.  Like you'd never in your life imagine you'd see them building tent hospitals in Vermont.  Or not allowing kids to go to school for half a school year.
I think those measures are why everyone is on edge.  Like well if they are doing this stuff, this is real.  Then all you hear is the huge amounts of cases in states like NY and its easy to see why folks are skeptical of travelers from there.  The measures being taken are like holy f'in shit that's actually happening?!
And all you hear is how rural hospitals don't have enough beds to handle what will happen.  The news does not help anxiety when you are bombarded with this stuff all day long... it's coming and your hospital can't handle it!!
Was just reading some posts on Sugarloaf chat and hearing lots of outta staters at the MTN this weekend. A large group having a BBQ on the deck at the Shipyard. There's no medical facilities directly in that area, so any outbreaks there will be a problem.