moneypitmike

Coronavirus

31 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

I’d be surprised if baseball is back anytime soon. Like runaway said... those guys need like 3 weeks to start thinking about running to first base. It’s pathetic. Don’t expect them back

I've been in contact with a few people who work for MLB teams. The current thinking(and subject to change) is a 2-3  week "spring training" period when and if a decision is made to start the season. 

Physical distancing and warmer (more humid) weather will likely decrease the transmission rates.   But we'll probably have to wait until the late summer or early fall for a possible antiviral (assuming early candidates prove safe and effective).  And then a year or two for a vaccine.

Lots of university and research labs can be set up for PCR testing for COVID.  Same thing for tests to detect antibodies.  There's also an army of scientists and technicians willing and able to perform the testing.  If properly coordinated, we could fairly rapidly procure the reagents and test kits and start widespread COVID testing.  The FDA, CDC, and rest of the federal government has really dragged their heels on testing.  That's why you keep hearing governors and other officials insist that only sick people with known contacts get tested to ration supplies.  Which is crazy.

We could break this pandemic in 3-4 weeks with 80+% testing nationally with periodic retesting.  That way we could immediately detect infection clusters and could move to isolate those people or areas.  Right now we are only detecting clusters after they have turned into epidemic hotspots.  After we identify and isolate all the infections we could reopen the economy as long as we continue periodic re-testing.  Without a vaccine we have to defeat the virus... we have to eradicate it.  That means either universal testing or universal physical distancing.

• Like 1

I'm not sure how we can talk about reopening and restarting things when the plot of infections and deaths is a near-vertical line.

36 minutes ago, MJO812 said:

Yikes

Fauci predicts 'millions' of US coronavirus cases, 100K-200K deaths

https://www.fox29.com/news/fauci-predicts-millions-of-us-coronavirus-cases-100k-200k-deaths

I wonder how soon the stories about how he is hiding sometime his past,and he's a secret Democrat and made a donation to Hhillary are going to appear.  brix will last longer since she will kiss the ring

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

Okay,  I'm confused.   Did he say this 3 weeks ago or this AM?

he's probably already 3 or 4 tall boys in, but he's trying to say Jerry predicted this 3 weeks ago. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Is anyone still working lol?

No one except essential services.

There are lots of folks in these essential services.  Let’s take healthcare.   Sure you have workers in patient care but you also have people maintaining the facilities which in itself is a huge job.  Food service, cops, firemen, I could go on......   Where you live and work it may be different but I bet lots of folks in Burlington are working.

40 minutes ago, MJO812 said:

Yikes

Fauci predicts 'millions' of US coronavirus cases, 100K-200K deaths

https://www.fox29.com/news/fauci-predicts-millions-of-us-coronavirus-cases-100k-200k-deaths

that's interesting, so the flu (with a vaccine) accounts for millions of cases each year, hundreds of thousands of hospitalizations and 50-75k deaths.

so with a vaccine at some point in the future, we can expect the same from this virus?

so combined each year, maybe almost a billion cases, a million hospitalizations and 200k deaths from both regardless of vaccines? 

14 minutes ago, Connecticut Appleman said:

Dr, Birx on Meet the Press was stepin' and fetching' like her hair was on fire and her ass was catchin'.  If she is representive of our leaders in the Federal government - we are in trouble!

She lent absolutely zero confidence that they had a plan.  My take on her message was - everyman for themselves.

This is not intended to be a political statement.

She wants to stay in the game, but it is hard to lie about those kind of questions.  The federal response ranges from non-existent tI dumb to behind to sometimes helpful.  The governors in a bipartisan way are our hope and there is reporting that they are talking to each other.

Just now, weathafella said:

There are lots of folks in these essential services.  Let’s take healthcare.   Sure you have workers in patient care but you also have people maintaining the facilities which in itself is a huge job.  Food service, cops, firemen, I could go on......   Where you live and work it may be different but I bet lots of folks in Burlington are working.

I’d say we are likely still going to have about 70-75% employment at the peak of this. That still means like 3 out of 4 people in the labor pool are working. 

Theres a ton of “essential” jobs. I’m considered one of them too since I work in finance. Many essential jobs still require you to be in person...and many of them travel over state lines...esp commuters to Boston area from S NH and N RI...ditto SW CT to NY. Closing state borders would cause far more problems than it solves. 

33 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Good luck with the move.  I know your heart is in VT more than anywhere else.  

And I wasn’t trying to call you out in anyway, just trying to give what seems to be the prevailing thought up here...the pick a place and stay there, but like Backedge said, some of these folks seem to be inviting a bunch of people to their second homes (where you’ll see like 3-4 cars outside) and then they move around a lot up here once they arrive.  

But life is so very different and fast paced in a lot of the more populated and suburban areas.  Like they really struggle with just not doing anything, its not an option for some folks....they are busy beavers and need to keep moving and keep busy.  They do it where I grew up, it would be next to impossible for the people in the suburbs where I grew up to just watch Netflix for a day or two, much less weeks.  They have a daily planner that HAS to be full at all times.  It’s just a different fast paced lifestyle.    And if that planner is empty, well then they better travel and go somewhere else to do things.

The ironic thing is that my husband is studying to be an RN.

Just now, weathafella said:

Again it was tongue in cheek, but it seemed to get a lot of folks.  Everyone I know in Burlington is working from home or not working.  The place is a ghost town.  Lawyer friends are doing everything from home if they have to, but all court proceedings are on hold.  UVM and Champlain College are completely shut down and all the folks I know that work there are doing it at home or not working. 

There's obviously some workers here and there, but all of Church Street is completely shut down nothing open, same at the waterfront, etc.  There aren't many people actually going to work except supermarkets, gas stations, police/fire/emt and health care.

21 minutes ago, Connecticut Appleman said:

Dr, Birx on Meet the Press was stepin' and fetching' like her hair was on fire and her ass was catchin'.  If she is representive of our leaders in the Federal government - we are in trouble!

She lent absolutely zero confidence that they had a plan.  My take on her message was - everyman for themselves.

This is not intended to be a political statement.

Was Uneasy Rider playing in background?

Just now, ORH_wxman said:

I’d say we are likely still going to have about 70-75% employment at the peak of this. That still means like 3 out of 4 people in the labor pool are working. 

Theres a ton of “essential” jobs. I’m considered one of them too since I work in finance. Many essential jobs still require you to be in person...and many of them travel over state lines...esp commuters to Boston area from S NH and N RI...ditto SW CT to NY. Closing state borders would cause far more problems than it solves. 

Yeah close state borders for non-essential domestic travel? 

I mean this sounds like no one should be crossing a state line right now except for work and only work.

Untitled.jpg.1c720a4f9d1e72115b95e1c6db270cea.jpg

These guys are working...

They are building extra triage centers around Burlington, VT for the coming apocalypse.

Tent cities sprouting up with generators and all the fixtures so they can put bodies here when the time comes.

91113732_2389931697964029_87429315534006

91439579_2389931717964027_46262427749900

91054464_2389931914630674_40165258546905

The social unrest side of this may become much scarier than the virus. Once large portions of the population don’t have enough to buy food and feed their families, watch out. We’ll have a widespread breakdown of the rule of law and a surging pandemic. 

• Weenie 1

24 minutes ago, Great Snow 1717 said:

I've been in contact with a few people who work for MLB teams. The current thinking(and subject to change) is a 2-3  week "spring training" period when and if a decision is made to start the season. 

The people I know in MLB (ie the guys I listen to on WEEI ) said the same thing.  No magical information there.

• Haha 2

Just now, Cold Miser said:

The people I know in MLB (ie the guys I listen to on WEEI ) said the same thing.  No magical information there.

I never implied it was magical information lol

So...the death toll in Italy (and possibly Spain) is well under-reported since deaths occurring in nursing homes and at home are not being counted in the death toll.  

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-italy-homes-insigh/uncounted-among-coronavirus-victims-deaths-sweep-through-italys-nursing-homes-idUSKBN2152V0

• Sad 1

16 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:
36 minutes ago, Dr. Dews said:
If our focus is sports culture, we were doomed anyway.

I'm sure I'm in the minority, but I've never been a sports fan. Could give a rats ass what happens

Yeah, I'm more effected by losing the ability to go out and see live music. 

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, weathafella said:

Contractors, plumbers, electricians and landscapers around here are still working, whether they are supposed to be is another story. 

2 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Yeah, I'm more effected by losing the ability to go out and see live music. 

You can watch the concert tonight at 9:00 with various artists performing from their living rooms.

• Like 1

Just now, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Contractors, plumbers, electricians and landscapers around here are still working, whether they are supposed to be is another story. 

Farm work will have to be ramping up soon and quickly... and with borders essentially closed  and H2-A visas sharply reduced we'll see if Americans really are willing to do that work.  Probably not when they're getting paid a lot more to not work. 

3 minutes ago, Cold Miser said:

3-4 weeks until this is us.

Partially explains why gun sales have been spiking? People anticipating roving bands of marauders setting upon their homes?

4 minutes ago, Cold Miser said:

3-4 weeks until this is us.

maybe sooner in New Yuck