• Member Statistics

    15,846
    Total Members
    7,904
    Most Online
    jammcohr
    Newest Member
    jammcohr
    Joined
moneypitmike

Coronavirus

Recommended Posts

44 minutes ago, OSUmetstud said:

Link? Worldometers has consistently only been reported like 40-50 cases per day there. 

Ah, you know what, the source I saw misquoted the NY Times. They're saying 600+ cumulative importations, not just yesterday. Still doesn't change my stance that they're lying sack of s&^t though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, jbenedet said:

What is “it”? The regional outbreak? The national epidemic? This first wave? The pandemic?

I wish people would be more specific on this...I have long held the position that this virus will be with us (as in the planet) for a period of years, if not indefinitely in one form or another...We need to find ways to cope and adapt based on this.......Can’t make “hunker down” plans with indeterminate goal posts...

This is IT. Where schools and essential business are closed and they are advising folks to stay home. The moving goalposts will move daily as this spreads into more rural areas so local officials adjust as necessary. We don’t live in an authoritarian society so something like this will have moving goalposts. Until schools and business re-open, we are in IT. Not sure why you are confused. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Hoth said:

Ah, you know what, the source I saw misquoted the NY Times. They're saying 600+ cumulative importations, not just yesterday. Still doesn't change my stance that they're lying sack of s&^t though.

Oh of course. Ive always believed the reduction in numbers just because as a police state it's much easier to lockdown than free countries likes ours or most of Europe. But the actually numbers themselves are suspect. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

This is IT. Where schools and essential business are closed and they are advising folks to stay home. The moving goalposts will move daily as this spreads into more rural areas so local officials adjust as necessary. We don’t live in an authoritarian society so something like this will have moving goalposts. Until schools and business re-open, we are in IT. Not sure why you are confused. 

Ok. So this “ride it out” is saying we have a new way of life, indefinitely. That is your position? Just clarifying bc @powderfreak mentioned 4 months..not singling him out as many others—including gov officials— are picking arbitrary timelines...to “ride this out” and return to a pre-COVID19 state of life...But do notice the goalposts will keep getting shifted further out into the future...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Absolutely,  thousands also work in many states. I hope Cuomo goes through with his threat to sue RI for their Gestapo tactics of going door to door looking for NY residents or pulling over their cars for no reason. 

Is anyone still working lol?

No one except essential services.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, jbenedet said:

Ok. So this “ride it out” is saying we have a new way of life, indefinitely. That is your position? Just clarifying bc @powderfreak mentioned 4 months..not singling him out as many others—including gov officials— are picking arbitrary timelines...to “ride this out” and return to a pre-COVID19 state of life...

We definitely need to take this day by day. Be prepared for at least another month.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, jbenedet said:

Ok. So this “ride it out” is saying we have a new way of life, indefinitely. That is your position? Just clarifying bc @powderfreak mentioned 4 months..not singling him out as many others—including gov officials— are picking arbitrary timelines...to “ride this out” and return to a pre-COVID19 state of life...But do notice the goalposts will keep getting shifted further out into the future...

I mean if kids can’t go to school until next September at the earliest, one figures this will last for some time longer than a couple weeks. 

They certainly are still going on the further lockdown right now so it’s hard to say when the end is until we start seeing changes in the other direction.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, powderfreak said:

Is anyone still working lol?

Yes manufacturing is still open, national defense,  food,medical, gas, auto repair and tons more. Only service industries are closed

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Yes manufacturing is still open, national defense,  food,medical, gas, auto repair and tons more. Only service industries are closed

Only essential employees, yes.  I know a lot of non-service industries that aren’t working either, including folks on this forum.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, powderfreak said:

I mean if kids can’t go to school until next September at the earliest, one figures this will last for some time longer than a couple weeks. 

They certainly are still going on the further lockdown right now so it’s hard to say when the end is until we start seeing changes in the other direction.

Yeah, not sure pandemics work on arbitrary time scales. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, jbenedet said:

Ok. So this “ride it out” is saying we have a new way of life, indefinitely. That is your position? Just clarifying bc @powderfreak mentioned 4 months..not singling him out as many others—including gov officials— are picking arbitrary timelines...to “ride this out” and return to a pre-COVID19 state of life...

Yes. Indefinitely until local, state, and federal officials say otherwise. My ‘ride it out’ will be different then your ‘ride it out’ obviously. I live closer to the spread and the wave is still coming. When it subsides and officials deem it’s time to return to work and school, then I no longer have to ‘ride it out’. It’s pretty clear to me what IT is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, powderfreak said:

Only essential employees, yes.

Which in CT RI includes the tens of thousands at General Dynamics. There are lots of people working in manufacturing traveling across state borders. The list of essentials is very long. So many industries support vital needs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, powderfreak said:

I mean if kids can’t go to school until next September at the earliest, one figures this will last for some time longer than a couple weeks. 

They certainly are still going on the further lockdown right now so it’s hard to say when the end is until we start seeing changes in the other direction.

This. Society is extrapolating an end point while the virus is still spreading exponentially...How does this make any sense? Not to mention all the unknown unknowns and known unknowns with this virus...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

We definitely need to take this day by day. Be prepared for at least another month.

Another month ? No way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Yes. Indefinitely until local, state, and federal officials say otherwise. My ‘ride it out’ will be different then your ‘ride it out’ obviously. I live closer to the spread and the wave is still coming. When it subsides and officials deem it’s time to return to work and school, then I no longer have to ‘ride it out’. It’s pretty clear to me what IT is.

Here's the question at what point is it time to return.  The flatten the curve which saves hospitals from being overrun but doing that extends the pandemic.  We are in uncharted waters. No one has a clue when or if normal will return.  Many have warned the fall second wave could be worse

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Which in CT RI includes the tens of thousands at General Dynamics. There are lots of people working in manufacturing traveling across state borders. The list of essentials is very long. So many industries support vital needs

Yeah I mean it was a little tongue-in-cheek but yeah, the more heavily populated regions probably still have a lot of traffic and human interaction.  

Maybe we go to a European model, I thought I read folks needed permission slips to leave their local area for work?  Or anyone transporting them to out of area work also needed a variance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Ginx snewx said:

Based on current rate of infection. 

My friend calculates the numbers and he expects things to be better in a few weeks but we have to take things one thing at a time and things arent getting better right now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, MJO812 said:

Maybe where you are but not down here. 

What?  You are in the heart of it.  

Cuomo doesn’t give the vibe that this is about to end for you.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, powderfreak said:

Yeah I mean it was a little tongue-in-cheek but yeah, the more heavily populated regions probably still have a lot of traffic and human interaction.  

Maybe we go to a European model, I thought I read folks needed permission slips to leave their local area for work?  Or anyone transporting them to out of area work also needed a variance.

No one is getting stopped and asked for papers but all essential businesses have indeed issued papers to employees just in case we martial law

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, MJO812 said:

Maybe where you are but not down here. 

Come on man. Look at what's going on down there. You think things are just going to get better in a few weeks? 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, powderfreak said:

What?  You are in the heart of it.  

Cuomo doesn’t give the vibe that this is about to end for you.

That's what I'm saying.   Cuomo is giving some hope right now with a few new drugs but people keep dropping like flies here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Ginx snewx said:

Here's the question at what point is it time to return.  The flatten the curve which saves hospitals from being overrun but doing that extends the pandemic.  We are in uncharted waters. No one has a clue when or if normal will return.  Many have warned the fall second wave could be 

I don’t know what the timeframe is and I agree with you. No one has a clue but one guy did say Easter. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...