• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    jammcohr
    Newest Member
    jammcohr

Coronavirus

2 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

As we were discussing earlier, it’s a VERY hot topic in northern New England.  It’s definitely getting worse, but I’ve only seen a few recently up this far.  

I was just reading something similar from the Mt Washington Valley telling people from NY, MA and CT to not visit for any reason.  Sounds like they are shutting down Tucks and barricade Pinkham Notch.  

The hashtag #staythe****home continues to be a popular welcoming sign in NNE.  

Whats really riling people up though is now you’ve started to see it from some govt agencies, so folks now feel like they have the green light to target out-of-staters from NY/MA/NJ/CT or wherever.  

Trust me, I’m all for everybody doing what they feel right for their family but it’s hard to be neutral because there are so many out of state cars stopping in Greenfield for groceries, gas etc.  

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Anybody wealthy with a vacation home and common sense ability to analyze statistical probabilities should have left the tri-state area weeks ago. 

So some people don’t fit in neat little boxes.  Some people live in VT and work in CT like me. My husband is in nursing school and planned to get a job in VT when he graduates. We Have usually gone to CT Tuesday-Thursday each week 3 out of 4 weeks a month.  But we are both on-line full time now.  We have a year round apartment in VT and a house in far northern CT.  We have been in VT since 3/5 except when we popped down to our house 3/9-10.  We have been in VT now for 18 days.  We have enough food and stuff that we don’t need to go to a store for another 2-3 months.  But we do need to go back to CT soon for prescriptions, mail, check on the house etc.  Im fine with quarantining for the next 2=3 months. It’s about 150 miles.  We need to go back and forth every few weeks.  We are not VT 2nd home owners.  We actually live in VT if you count nights per year.  But we are legally CT residents.  We basically have no “home” state.  Now we have a problem. We don’t fit into anyone’s little box.  We are not escapees.  Both places are relatively safe rural places.  And we need to be free to go back and forth.  How is that anyone else’s business??

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, MJO812 said:

Ugggh

20200328_232436.jpg

I’m still hopeful we don’t locally experience an Italy/Spain type catastrophe in NYC but it’s lessening every time I see something like this or continue to read the stories about overwhelmed hospitals. And the number of new cases is still shooting up every day, over 30000 in NYC total now. Horrendous. And tomorrow on Long Island we likely top 10000, so not much better in the suburbs. 

18 minutes ago, Skivt2 said:

So some people don’t fit in neat little boxes.  Some people live in VT and work in CT like me. My husband is in nursing school and planned to get a job in VT when he graduates. We Have usually gone to CT Tuesday-Thursday each week 3 out of 4 weeks a month.  But we are both on-line full time now.  We have a year round apartment in VT and a house in far northern CT.  We have been in VT since 3/5 except when we popped down to our house 3/9-10.  We have been in VT now for 18 days.  We have enough food and stuff that we don’t need to go to a store for another 2-3 months.  But we do need to go back to CT soon for prescriptions, mail, check on the house etc.  Im fine with quarantining for the next 2=3 months. It’s about 150 miles.  We need to go back and forth every few weeks.  We are not VT 2nd home owners.  We actually live in VT if you count nights per year.  But we are legally CT residents.  We basically have no “home” state.  Now we have a problem. We don’t fit into anyone’s little box.  We are not escapees.  Both places are relatively safe rural places.  And we need to be free to go back and forth.  How is that anyone else’s business??

Ha, you need to relax.  I was inferring if you had $$ and awareness you bailed from the city weeks ago, that’s all.  

15 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

I’m still hopeful we don’t locally experience an Italy/Spain type catastrophe in NYC but it’s lessening every time I see something like this or continue to read the stories about overwhelmed hospitals. And the number of new cases is still shooting up every day, over 30000 in NYC total now. Horrendous. And tomorrow on Long Island we likely top 10000, so not much better in the suburbs. 

There’s a few hellish weeks of stats coming, just stay the course and don’t freak out. 

22 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Ha, you need to relax.  I was inferring if you had $$ and awareness you bailed from the city weeks ago, that’s all.  

Was not talking to you. Did not mean to quote you.   But I am not relaxed.  I have to leave my home in VT and I am not sure if I can come back,  

Crazy to imagine how dry we've been Trained.  This is what we got now.  Thoughts and Prayers and Dryslot Theirs. 

• Confused 1

7 hours ago, Skivt2 said:

Was not talking to you. Did not mean to quote you.   But I am not relaxed.  I have to leave my home in VT and I am not sure if I can come back,  

There are no travel restrictions. 

838 new deaths in Spain. US over 500 yesterday. We have significant outbreaks in NYC, Boston, New Orleans, Detroit, Miami, Dallas, LA, Chicago, Seattle. The list continues to grow. Houston exploded yesterday. Stay home folks.

• Like 1

there is a need to create enemies and "others" and to appear strong.  If hotels mostly close there will be be no mass exodus.  If people drive up to their second homes then so be it.  We all need to assume we are infected unless we've quarantined, and act like it.  It isn't right that you have this concern in my opinion, but perhaps you should have a backup plan for mailed prescriptions and forwarded mail and friends to check on your ST housr?

Or how people will treat you when you are coming back.  Your concern is valid I think.

• Like 1

I read a post from a ER doc in New Orleans. He is saying that 86 percent of people that go on ventilators are dying.  I had no idea it was that high. I know there is a shortage of ventilators but it seems if you need one you have a pretty slim chance of surviving.

24 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

There are no travel restrictions. 

Yes there are travel advisories.  The issue becomes NNEers react to out of staters.  While we are in some ways socially liberal, there are a lot of guns and far right wingers up here.

7 minutes ago, Hoth said:

Lol China reports 693 "imported cases from 43 countries" Saturday. Lying sacks of sh&*

Link? Worldometers has consistently only been reported like 40-50 cases per day there. 

Mexico is going to be the next big hotspot. They just shut down everything yesterday but its probably too late. Mexico City had a massive festival recently and even had a guns n roses concert.

Mexico has some of the highest diabetes and hypertension rates in the world. 75.2% of the population over 20 is overweight or obese.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/latino/mexico-braces-coronavirus-amid-their-own-obesity-diabetes-epidemic-n1170361

• Sad 3

8 hours ago, Skivt2 said:

To be fair though that’s what people in these places are talking about.  Many say a public health crisis is certainly everyone’s business (even this forum has stated it)....long drives require stops even at gas stations or whatever but if you drive 2+ hours you are likely to stop.

I think it was WCAX that had a story on whether VT should shut its borders and it seemed most folks didn’t think so but they just want people to pick a spot to stay, and stay there.  What to be at a second home was fine, but if you come stay until it’s done.   They were saying you can easily forward your mail at USPS.com, stuff like that.  

We are definitely at a time when individual rights to travel seem gone and it’s become acceptable for it to become everyone’s business regarding those that gather and those that travel.  

My folks spend about 5 months a year in Woodstock, CT and 7 months near Albany, NY.  They’ve decided they are stuck in Albany until this is over.  Maybe it’ll change but my advice is just find a location and ride it out like it’s a 4-month Hurricane.  Most folks can make easy adjustments so they don’t have to go to house 1 or 2.  

3 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

To be fair though that’s what people in these places are talking about.  Many say a public health crisis is certainly everyone’s business (even this forum has stated it)....long drives require stops even at gas stations or whatever but if you drive 2+ hours you are likely to stop.

I think it was WCAX that had a story on whether VT should shut its borders and it seemed most folks didn’t think so but they just want people to pick a spot to stay, and stay there.  What to be at a second home was fine, but if you come stay until it’s done.   They were saying you can easily forward your mail at USPS.com, stuff like that.  

We are definitely at a time when individual rights to travel seem gone and it’s become acceptable for it to become everyone’s business regarding those that gather and those that travel.  

My folks spend about 5 months a year in Woodstock, CT and 7 months near Albany, NY.  They’ve decided they are stuck in Albany until this is over.  Maybe it’ll change but my advice is just find a location and ride it out like it’s a 4-month Hurricane.  Most folks can make easy adjustments so they don’t have to go to house 1 or 2.  

I’m in this camp. This isn’t the time to waive the ‘why is it anyones business what I do or where I go’ liberty card. Most don’t have the luxury of multiple homes either so if you do, just be mindful and try to pick one spot...ride it out. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, mahk_webstah said:

Yes there are travel advisories.  The issue becomes NNEers react to out of staters.  While we are in some ways socially liberal, there are a lot of guns and far right wingers up here.

Advisory is not a restriction,  whole different level

13 minutes ago, mahk_webstah said:

Yes there are travel advisories. 

That’s the kicker in all this.  All you hear all day long is DON’T TRAVEL, STAY HOME screamed from rooftops by govt and media.  Then they issue these “Advisories”.... like either shit or get off the pot.  Shut it down or let it happen.

They’ve cancelled school for the year!  I see a lot of posts on social saying if something is so severe to cancel the entire school year, then maybe we should pay attention.  Like that’s unheard of, so maybe folks should be concerned?  

Stowe is like a Boston suburb, I know of one family where Dad works in Boston and kids/mom live in Stowe for that lifestyle and they’ve said that their Dad hasn’t come home for 2 weeks and doesn’t plan on it until this is over so he doesn’t bring any virus back north.  I think the normal routine is work in Boston 4 days a week and live up here 3 days a week?   

Maybe it’s just virtue signaling and it’s not actually necessary to split communities up into defined spaces where you can’t leave those confines.  

• Like 3

They don’t want to issue inter-state bans because of the fall back it could cause...so they are advising, pledging for the public to just stay home. That’s a good enough tactic for most but some don’t care until it’s illegal to do something. Even then, that won’t stop them. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

They don’t want to issue inter-state bans because of the fall back it could cause...so they are advising, pledging for the public to just stay home. That’s a good enough tactic for most but some don’t care until it’s illegal to do something. Even then, that won’t stop them. 

It's probably unconstitutional. 

21 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

I’m in this camp. This isn’t the time to waive the ‘why is it anyones business what I do or where I go’ liberty card. Most don’t have the luxury of multiple homes either so if you do, just be mindful and try to pick one spot...ride it out. 

What is “it”? The regional outbreak? The national epidemic? This first wave? The pandemic?

I wish people would be more specific on this...I have long held the position that this virus will be with us (as in the planet) for a period of years, if not indefinitely in one form or another...A viable vaccine isn’t an inevitability either; far from it actually....Years are more likely than months in this regard as well. We need to find ways to cope and adapt based on this.......Can’t make “hunker down” plans with indeterminate goal posts...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, OSUmetstud said:

Absolutely,  thousands also work in many states. I hope Cuomo goes through with his threat to sue RI for their Gestapo tactics of going door to door looking for NY residents or pulling over their cars for no reason. 

• Like 4

Just now, OSUmetstud said:

I’ve been reading about this lately and I’m certainly no expert but there seems to be a relatively thick grey area of what is constitutional or not...ie, what the states can do and what the feds can do...during a public health crisis. There’s a lot of debate online about it at least, from law professors and constitutional advocates.